Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1627763 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #26780 on: October 07, 2017, 03:42:49 AM »
Well, yes, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Autumn Leaves

« Reply #26781 on: October 07, 2017, 05:08:11 AM »
Well, yes, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen again.

I went to see this one on the big screen when it was released but I can't remember much about it now.
Like a lot of people here, I do love Terry Gilliam's movies (Brazil and 12 Monkeys are particularly good and I have a soft spot for Time Bandits as well).
Have you seen Baron munchausen many times Karl? - I rememeber it got panned a bit by the critics when it was released but I'd like to see it again at some stage.
What other Gilliam do you rate highly or would recommend?.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26782 on: October 07, 2017, 05:12:32 AM »
I went to see this one on the big screen when it was released but I can't remember much about it now.
Like a lot of people here, I do love Terry Gilliam's movies (Brazil and 12 Monkeys are particularly good and I have a soft spot for Time Bandits as well).
Have you seen Baron munchausen many times Karl? - I rememeber it got panned a bit by the critics when it was released but I'd like to see it again at some stage.
What other Gilliam do you rate highly or would recommend?.

I did see it on the big screen Back When, too!  I've got the blu-ray disc, and I have watched it several times.

My other favorite Gilliam films (while I do really enjoy all that I have seen) are The Fisher King and Twelve Monkeys.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Autumn Leaves

« Reply #26783 on: October 07, 2017, 05:24:37 AM »
I did see it on the big screen Back When, too!  I've got the blu-ray disc, and I have watched it several times.

My other favorite Gilliam films (while I do really enjoy all that I have seen) are The Fisher King and Twelve Monkeys.

Ahhh thats great Karl - I'll try and watch Baron Munchausen again as soon as I can. It's the only Gilliam movie I've seen, that I only watched the 1 time.
Thanks for reminding me about The Fisher King! - I do miss Robin Williams and this was one of his best movies I think.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #26784 on: October 07, 2017, 07:00:31 AM »
The Fisher King

Always been a personal favorite, Karl, and quite possibly Gilliam's most emotional film. The scene in the restaurant is amazing, instantly shifting from comedic chaos to a calm beauty when Robin Williams begins singing the "Lydia Song".

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26785 on: October 07, 2017, 08:02:46 AM »
Let's rummage!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #26786 on: October 09, 2017, 04:56:48 AM »

Blade Runner 2049.  Visually magnificent, surpassing the original in some regards, not least in scale, the film overall is not quite up to Ridley Scott's film, but it comes much closer than anticipated.  Sci-fi influences are obvious: in addition to the first movie, one can see A.I. Artificial Intelligence (and through it, Pinocchio), some 2001, some Star Wars sequels, some Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, and others.  The film also offers a master class in product placement, both of firms long gone and currently thriving ones.  The movie ties directly to the original in its storyline, with the first big reveal rather obvious.  The plot twist is also obvious by the time it finally arrives.  Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford both do good enough work, and Ana de Armas is a joy to watch.  Denis Villeneuve's visual mastery makes the film's not inconsiderable length quite manageable, though it will be interesting to see if it holds up as well on the small screen.  (I made it a point to see it on the largest screen in two states.)  Denis Villeneuve might be able to do something good with the Dune remake he is directing.

While watching a few scenes, it became clear that the theater had the sub-woofers set to too high a level; some low frequency bursts physically moved the screen, resulting in slightly blurred images at peak SPLs. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26787 on: October 09, 2017, 05:07:44 AM »
So, yes, over two evenings I re-watched The Fisher King.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26788 on: October 09, 2017, 09:24:01 AM »
Our Souls in the Night....

A great story and both Redford and Fonda are wonderful in this very heartwarming human interest story.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #26789 on: October 09, 2017, 05:37:11 PM »
I saw Blade Runner 2049. I liked it. The visuals are really stunnig, I may rewatch it just for that. The script was fine... a bit too round shaped... I would have liked a bit of the mystery and open endedness of the first one... as well as some of its poetry. Definitely the best sci fi film in a long while... quite refreshing to feel some of the 80s really good stuff again.

I watched it the other night in IMAX. It was a letdown ... too slow, too long, I didn't care for any of the characters or what happened. I left the theater thinking nothing of it, it wasn't even that 'entertaining'. The climaxes were blah. The performances were flat, Gosling was not good at all, no charisma, very deadpan, too relaxed. Harrison should just retire, the passion is gone. And visually .. it just essentially apes everything already imagined and realized in the first Blade Runner movie (which is a greater and greater looking film done over 30 years ago), the look, the atmosphere, all those panoramic geography shots etc. The music was sub par. Overall, not the worst film, but nothing great or powerful, just way over hyped. This thing didn't look like it's supposed 150 million dollar budget at all either. I've seen films which cost a quarter of that and surpass the look of this thing by light years.
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Online aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #26790 on: October 10, 2017, 04:14:33 AM »

Blade Runner 2049.  Visually magnificent, surpassing the original in some regards, not least in scale, the film overall is not quite up to Ridley Scott's film, but it comes much closer than anticipated.  Sci-fi influences are obvious: in addition to the first movie, one can see A.I. Artificial Intelligence (and through it, Pinocchio), some 2001, some Star Wars sequels, some Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, and others.  The film also offers a master class in product placement, both of firms long gone and currently thriving ones.  The movie ties directly to the original in its storyline, with the first big reveal rather obvious.  The plot twist is also obvious by the time it finally arrives.  Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford both do good enough work, and Ana de Armas is a joy to watch.  Denis Villeneuve's visual mastery makes the film's not inconsiderable length quite manageable, though it will be interesting to see if it holds up as well on the small screen.  (I made it a point to see it on the largest screen in two states.)  Denis Villeneuve might be able to do something good with the Dune remake he is directing.

While watching a few scenes, it became clear that the theater had the sub-woofers set to too high a level; some low frequency bursts physically moved the screen, resulting in slightly blurred images at peak SPLs.

Great! Pretty much my same impression.

Online aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #26791 on: October 10, 2017, 04:20:09 AM »
I watched it the other night in IMAX. It was a letdown ... too slow, too long, I didn't care for any of the characters or what happened. I left the theater thinking nothing of it, it wasn't even that 'entertaining'. The climaxes were blah. The performances were flat, Gosling was not good at all, no charisma, very deadpan, too relaxed. Harrison should just retire, the passion is gone. And visually .. it just essentially apes everything already imagined and realized in the first Blade Runner movie (which is a greater and greater looking film done over 30 years ago), the look, the atmosphere, all those panoramic geography shots etc. The music was sub par. Overall, not the worst film, but nothing great or powerful, just way over hyped. This thing didn't look like it's supposed 150 million dollar budget at all either. I've seen films which cost a quarter of that and surpass the look of this thing by light years.

Well, considering your opinion is pretty much the complete opposite to mine, I see no point in discussing it, since that will lead nowhere. Best regards.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26792 on: October 10, 2017, 04:23:52 AM »
Well, considering your opinion is pretty much the complete opposite to mine, I see no point in discussing it, since that will lead nowhere. Best regards.

For perspective:  he thinks Mozart is mediocre, too.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #26793 on: October 10, 2017, 02:10:51 PM »
For perspective:  he thinks Mozart is mediocre, too.

But Bach who came before him is soooo much better. :)
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline LKB

something between my ears
« Reply #26794 on: October 11, 2017, 01:03:55 PM »
Currently grinding my way through The Interview. I can only tolerate about twenty minutes at a time as most of it ( so far ) is dreck, imho. But as l understand, the film ends in a way which will satisfy a current emotional need, so l shall persevere.

Grimly determined,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline LKB

« Reply #26795 on: October 11, 2017, 06:51:52 PM »
Finished The Interview. Can't say l could honestly recommend it, though it improves somewhat after the halfway mark. Oh, and the dog was cute.

Now l shall reward my perseverance by viewing Dances with Wolves8)

Relieved,

LKB

Offline Jackman

« Reply #26796 on: October 11, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »
Finished The Interview. Can't say l could honestly recommend it, though it improves somewhat after the halfway mark. Oh, and the dog was cute.

Now l shall reward my perseverance by viewing Dances with Wolves8)

Relieved,

LKB

Haven't seen that yet, though it caused a lot of controversy at the time

Offline LKB

« Reply #26797 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:36 PM »
I don't much care for toilet humor, which is where ( imho ) The Interview expends too much time and energy. Considering the people involved, l suppose that isn't surprising. I was curious more than anything, and at least now l can voice an informed opinion... But I'll be perfectly content never to watch it again.  :D

If you can tolerate a large portion of gratuitous puerile humor and don't have to pay anything, l suppose it does have a few minutes with some limited value. But nearly everything the film attempts to do could have been done better, in every aspect of its production. If l had to grade it, maybe a C- at best.

How wonderful it is to have truly great and memorable films at hand as an antidote! Within a few feet are bluray copies of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Apocalypse Now, The Sound of Music, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Iron Giant, My Life as a Dog, Airplane...

Yeah, I'll survive The Interview8)

Whew,

LKB

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #26798 on: October 12, 2017, 08:52:13 PM »
I don't much care for toilet humor

Airplane...

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #26799 on: October 13, 2017, 06:31:17 AM »
In the category of "goofy American comedies about assassinating foreign dictators," The Interview places above Zoolander, in my book. (I once watched them back-to-back.)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK