Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1608954 times)

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #26840 on: October 19, 2017, 10:17:01 AM »
I'm a die harder like my kid Bruce Willis - Beastie Boys
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline LKB

• Currently Listening to:
    something between my ears
« Reply #26841 on: October 19, 2017, 10:29:31 AM »
Cue the ingredients in a Twinkie™

Regular or turbo?

You're gonna get it,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #26842 on: October 20, 2017, 01:54:43 AM »
needs to be mentioned as a caution
DESCENDANT OF THE SUN     Shaw Brothers 1983
"Celebrated director Chu Yuan helms Descendant Of The Sun, a Superman meets Hercules ala old style martial art film. Derek Yee, is a magic solar baby sent Earthbound by a benevolent god, raised by an old carpenter, has martial art superpowers and "green kryptonite" loses them during solar eclipses. That's when the evil baby counterpart shows up. Demon-paced martial arts action by Jackie Chan's kung-fu classmates Yuan Pin and Yuen Hua compliments Toho Studio style special optical effect"      Reminded me of the Cannon Films Hercules movie with Lou Ferrigno, that kind of awful.

Online aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26843 on: October 20, 2017, 08:40:11 AM »
Red Rock West....

A fairly typical thriller film but entertaining enough to carry one through it with good performances all round.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #26844 on: October 20, 2017, 02:01:32 PM »
Congratulations!

Keep an eye out for Howard Jarvis...

You may find the sequel to not be in the same class as the original, but it is still watchable.

Enjoy,

LKB

The voice-activated door and W.S. cameo redeem everything, I think.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #26845 on: October 20, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »
Spirits of the Dead
1968 ‧ Mystery/Horror ‧ 2h 1m

In one chapter of this three-in-one feature inspired by Edgar Allan Poe's tales, a countess (Jane Fonda), shunned by a horseman (Peter Fonda), kills the man and his animals yet pays dearly for her deadly act. Another focuses on a religious man (Alain Delon) who seeks absolution for a murder only to find that his violent impulses come rushing back. The third is about a boozing actor (Terence Stamp) who accepts a car as compensation for a role, but is ultimately defeated by addiction.

"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline LKB

« Reply #26846 on: October 20, 2017, 05:01:11 PM »
The voice-activated door and W.S. cameo redeem everything, I think.

I quite agree. That was the first inkling l had that perhaps Mr. Shatner didn't take himself all that seriously. Another such telling cameo was in Police Squad!

In Color,

LKB

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26847 on: October 21, 2017, 03:55:04 AM »
And, afterward: The Producers, Zero Mostel & Gene Wilder. Inspired.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26848 on: October 21, 2017, 07:58:47 AM »
And now: The Twelve Chairs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline James

• Veteran member
« Reply #26849 on: October 21, 2017, 03:10:26 PM »
The Blob
1988 ‧ Fantasy/Thriller ‧ 1h 35m

In a tiny California town, high school students Brian (Kevin Dillon), Meg (Shawnee Smith) and Paul (Donovan Leitch) discover a strange, gelatinous substance that melts the flesh of any living creatures in its path. The deadly substance gets into the town's sewer system, where it begins growing uncontrollably, occasionally emerging to feast on unsuspecting townspeople. A military clean-up crew is sent to eliminate the menace, but it may end up doing more harm than good.

"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26850 on: October 21, 2017, 04:12:48 PM »
Many thanks to the party or parties who recommended The Straight Story, thoroughly wonderful. Lovely score, which is part tender Mediterranean, part gentle Newgrass.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26851 on: October 21, 2017, 05:53:41 PM »
Little Murders. The first time I tried watching this, the scene at Patsy's family's apartment wore me out, and I had no patience to try sticking with it.

So, I've checked it out again from the library, and watched out to the end. All in all, glad I did, but ... I wish I liked it better than I do.

That said, the wedding is a fine set-piece; and Alan Arkin's scene is both a brilliant performance on his part, but excellently dexterous camera work.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26852 on: October 22, 2017, 02:36:06 AM »
The Pledge....

A solidly based story line which ultimately descends into incredulity which is a pity because it was a good one to start with.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline LKB

« Reply #26853 on: October 22, 2017, 03:33:04 AM »
2001: A Space Odyssey.

Open the pod bay doors,

LKB

Offline James

• Veteran member
« Reply #26854 on: October 22, 2017, 03:47:58 AM »
The Hallow
2015 ‧ Horror ‧ 1h 37m

A family who move into a remote milllhouse in Ireland find themselves in a fight for survival with demonic creatures living in the woods.

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #26855 on: October 22, 2017, 06:32:37 AM »
Many thanks to the party or parties who recommended The Straight Story, thoroughly wonderful. Lovely score, which is part tender Mediterranean, part gentle Newgrass.

Great to hear, Karl!

Online aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #26856 on: October 24, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »
Money....

Low budget film [in the sense that there are only 6 actors and basically 1 location] but with a good story line and an interesting dynamic between the main characters. Worth a watch.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #26857 on: October 24, 2017, 11:40:14 AM »
Last night I watched The Shawshank Redemption with director Frank Darabant's commentary.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #26858 on: October 25, 2017, 05:56:43 AM »
Amazon has recently made these 'adventure' films available for streaming - both on my list to watch: 

Wonder Woman (2017) w/ Gal Gadot & Chris Pine - reviews: 7.6, IMDB; 92%, Rotten Tomatoes; 4.3/5, Amazon - yet another super hero movie w/ some comedy, potential romance, and demonstration of 'super powers' w/ a LOT of ending CGI - not a bad film for its genre and one of the better 'super hero' films - Gadot looking good in her role - I'd probably do 3 1/2* on Amazon - do not plan to buy or even re-watch.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) w/ Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, et al - reviews: 7.8, IMDB; 82%, Rotten Tomatoes; 4.3/5, Amazon - now a group of galaxy heroes - same characters as the first one, which I enjoyed more; twist w/ Kurt Russell as the 'immortal god' and father of Peter Quill - disorganized at times and way TOO MUCH CGI, IMO - for me, a 3* Amazon rating - no plan to re-watch this one - guess that these Marvel and others' 'super hero' films just are not my 'bag' as I've gotten older - still prefer the old Sci-Fi films from my younger years (despite their absence of CGI) - :)  Dave

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #26859 on: October 25, 2017, 06:04:34 AM »
Amazon has recently made these 'adventure' films available for streaming - both on my list to watch: 

Wonder Woman (2017) w/ Gal Gadot & Chris Pine - reviews: 7.6, IMDB; 92%, Rotten Tomatoes; 4.3/5, Amazon - yet another super hero movie w/ some comedy, potential romance, and demonstration of 'super powers' w/ a LOT of ending CGI - not a bad film for its genre and one of the better 'super hero' films - Gadot looking good in her role - I'd probably do 3 1/2* on Amazon - do not plan to buy or even re-watch.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) w/ Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, et al - reviews: 7.8, IMDB; 82%, Rotten Tomatoes; 4.3/5, Amazon - now a group of galaxy heroes - same characters as the first one, which I enjoyed more; twist w/ Kurt Russell as the 'immortal god' and father of Peter Quill - disorganized at times and way TOO MUCH CGI, IMO - for me, a 3* Amazon rating - no plan to re-watch this one - guess that these Marvel and others' 'super hero' films just are not my 'bag' as I've gotten older - still prefer the old Sci-Fi films from my younger years (despite their absence of CGI) - :)  Dave

I thought the acting here (Gadot and Pine's chemistry was good) was much better for a super hero movie than we usually get.  I agree with pretty much everything you wrote, though I think Id give it a 4.

But I think you were too nice to GOTG2, which I found majorly disappointing (even with my low expectations). The only story line I thought worked was the one with the sisters. I think I'd give that a 2.
Offenbach gets a raw deal in recordings considering his talent! For a discussion of this outstanding composer too little recorded: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5572.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK