Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1626995 times)

SonicMan46 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Omicron9

Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #27000 on: November 14, 2017, 06:22:01 AM »
This afternoon:  Stardust Memories, which I find entirely wonderful.

"There's a doctor here who's in love with me."  A great flick, and my favorite Charlotte Rampling performance.
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27001 on: November 16, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »
Yella....

A well crafted film with an intriguing plot and a somewhat disconcerting conclusion.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #27002 on: November 16, 2017, 01:39:23 PM »
Indeed, a really negative portrait of contemporary Russia.

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #27003 on: November 17, 2017, 06:18:13 AM »

I watched another Bond film, this one with music by John Barry, which really helps. This is not the onset of dementia. Something else might be, not this.

The Spy Novel Queen is to blame. She just finished reading an Ian Fleming bio and wanted to see the films.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27004 on: November 17, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »

Last night, we streamed two recent films on Amazon - both on my 'to see' list:

The Settlers (2017) - documentary on the Israeli settlements in the West Bank (and Gaza Strip) - short synopsis below; 100% critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes; a mixture of sub-titles and English dialog - enjoyed - I had just finished the new book on Israel by Daniel Gordis, also excellent - both recommended - would rate the film at least 4*/5*.

The Big Sick (2017) w/ Kumail Nanjiani, Zoe Kazan, & Holly Hunter - second synopsis below; 98% critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes; 89% audience w/ both giving an average 8+/10 - agree!  I'd do 4*/5* (maybe even a 1/2 star extra for both) - highly recommended.  Dave :)

From the Romanian-born, Israeli-raised filmmaker Shimon Dotan, THE SETTLERS traces the history of Israeli settlements in the West Bank and their growth through individual action and, in this telling, the sometimes tacit encouragement of Israeli politicians. Interweaving archival footage with current interviews featuring settlers and academics alike, Dotan examines the incremental protests, governmental indifference, and political calculation that have led to the current stalemate in which we've come to know. Partisans on both sides of the conflict will find plenty to argue with. The real achievement here is in going beyond the buzzwords of newscasts and talking points to convey a sense of what's happening on the ground--and give it a sense of urgency.

Based on the real-life courtship between Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon, THE BIG SICK tells the story of Pakistan-born aspiring comedian Kumail (Nanjiani), who connects with grad student Emily (Kazan) after one of his standup sets. However, what they thought would be just a one-night stand blossoms into the real thing, which complicates the life that is expected of Kumail by his traditional Muslim parents. When Emily is beset with a mystery illness, it forces Kumail to navigate the medical crisis with her parents, Beth and Terry (Holly Hunter and Ray Romano) who he's never met, while dealing with the emotional tug-of-war between his family and his heart

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27005 on: November 17, 2017, 12:27:05 PM »
Vertical Limit....

Far too Hollywood to be a serious mountain film but there are some magnificent scenic shots to compensate.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline LKB

• Currently Listening to:
    something between my ears
« Reply #27006 on: November 17, 2017, 12:41:42 PM »
     I watched another Bond film, this one with music by John Barry, which really helps...

Barry was one of the best. Five Oscars, and he might've won at least three more.

Somewhere in Time, Out of Africa & Dances with Wolves are favorites of mine.

Cheers,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline Tulse

« Reply #27007 on: November 17, 2017, 05:32:15 PM »
Yella....

A well crafted film with an intriguing plot and a somewhat disconcerting conclusion.

I watched that film a few years back and enjoyed it. Christian Petzold  has a very interesting approach to films in Germany. I also like 'Barbara' and 'The state I'm in' by him.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27008 on: November 18, 2017, 03:16:27 AM »

I watched that film a few years back and enjoyed it. Christian Petzold  has a very interesting approach to films in Germany. I also like 'Barbara' and 'The state I'm in' by him.

Thank you for the recommendations.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #27009 on: November 18, 2017, 05:56:02 AM »
Orson Welles with a stripped-down version of Macbeth: a surreal imagining of the Scottish landscape as something out of The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari and a castle which is more of a nightmarish cave full of our darkest impulses than a medieval fortress: and of course Scottish accents!

"Now who taught ye t' be playin' patty fingers in the holy water?"

- Barry Fitzgerald to John Wayne in  The Quiet Man.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #27010 on: November 18, 2017, 09:36:13 AM »
I’ve always thought Agnes Moorehead should have played Lady Macbeth. She was a member of Welles’ theatre group for many years (and was terrific in The Magnificent Ambersons).

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #27011 on: November 18, 2017, 01:33:24 PM »
I’ve always thought Agnes Moorehead should have played Lady Macbeth. She was a member of Welles’ theatre group for many years (and was terrific in The Magnificent Ambersons).

Aye, an excellent choice!  Although I have come across a few females in my life who also would have been perfect choices for the role!  ;) 0:)
"Now who taught ye t' be playin' patty fingers in the holy water?"

- Barry Fitzgerald to John Wayne in  The Quiet Man.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27012 on: November 19, 2017, 03:30:20 AM »
Unbreakable....

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27013 on: November 19, 2017, 10:24:10 AM »
Last few nights, several new BDs for my movie collection:

Pork Chop Hill (1959) w/ Gregory Peck and Harry Guardino, Woody Strode, Rip Torn, Barry Atwater, George Peppard, Robert Blake and Martin Landau, many in their first or early film roles - first synopsis below from HERE, which rates the video/audio both 4*/5* - excellent B&W transfer of basically an anti-war film and one of the better Korean War movies, IMO - recommended.

Raging Bull (1980) w/ Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, and Cathy Moriarty; second synopsis from HERE w/ 4.5*/5*, video; 4.0*/5*, audio - excellent B&W presentation - have not seen this film since release and was impressed - 8 Oscar Nominations w/ 2 Wins, including Best Actor for De Niro, who gained 70# to portray La Motta in his later years (see last quote w/ more from the same link, if interested); BTW, Jake La Motta just died last month at the age of 95 years!  Dave :)

Pork Chop Hill offers an unusually intelligent take on the war genre, perhaps one of the reasons Peck blends so naturally into the environment. The political machinations provide a bit of intentional absurdity in the background while a ragtag—and rapidly diminishing—group of Americans attempts to gain control of a hill for—well, for what, really? The old adage goes "war is hell," but at times Pork Chop Hill seems to suggest "war is patently ridiculous." The action scenes provide a rather riveting dose of brutality at times, and the character interactions all resonate with authenticity.

The unflinching portrayal of La Motta's public life in the ring and his private life shows how his entire existence is an intense struggle for domination on his terms--no matter who is hurt in the process. Ultimately, the fighter's egocentrism and pride doom him to a real and metaphysical realm of sin and failure--whether he is in the ring or the street, at home or in a nightclub--pummeling his boxing opponent or his own brother or ultimately the concrete walls of a jail cell. The way Scorsese attacks the story, all of La Motta's fighting is relegated to a spiritual stage that relates to the canvas, to La Motta's ordeal later in his life and even beyond--to the sets of the film and the screens in our home theaters, and perhaps even the inner struggles of each of us. It is the director's ability to cinematically elevate the violence of the boxing ring and the sins of La Motta onto a spiritual plane that makes Raging Bull a masterpiece.

Much has been written about De Niro's Oscar-winning performance. Beyond his method acting approach to the character, the physical transformation he underwent is almost beyond belief. His dedication to the role inspired him to add 70 pounds to his previously slim frame, allowing him to command with equal conviction his performance as a disciplined boxing champ and as a washed-up, overweight comedy personality. To prepare for the film, De Niro worked out with the real-life La Motta for an entire year............

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #27014 on: November 20, 2017, 07:19:08 AM »
In patches over the past few days, I've revisited M:I 3 and M:I 4 Ghost Protocol Just good fun.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27015 on: November 20, 2017, 09:23:47 PM »
Last few nights, watched a couple of old Jimmy Stewart films from 1938 (first two shown below) recorded on my DVR:

Of Human Hearts (1938) w/ James Stewart, Walter Huston, Beulah Bondi, & Charles Coburn - synopsis quoted below - Huston & Stewart were excellent together, and Bondi was outstanding (she played Stewart's mother in 5 films!).

Shopworn Angel, The (1938) w/ Margaret Sullavan, James Stewart, Walter Pidgeon, & Hattie McDaniel - Sullavan and Stewart were great together and made four films - my favorite and considered their best is The Shop Around the Corner from 1940 - Dave :)

This is a story about family relationships, set in the time before and during the American Civil War. Ethan Wilkins is a poor and honest man who ministers to the human soul, while his son Jason yearns to be a doctor, helping people in the earthly realm. It is a rich story about striving for excellence, the tension of father-son rebellion, and the love of a mother that can never die.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27016 on: November 21, 2017, 04:43:41 PM »
Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27017 on: November 21, 2017, 04:59:51 PM »
Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Karl - did you watch the release below?  If so, what did you think about the video & audio quality (LINK)?  Dave :)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27018 on: November 21, 2017, 05:06:54 PM »
Karl - did you watch the release below?  If so, what did you think about the video & audio quality (LINK)?  Dave :)

That very one, Dave, and it's a beauty.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27019 on: November 21, 2017, 05:53:33 PM »
That very one, Dave, and it's a beauty.

8)  Dave

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK