Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1841967 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #27000 on: December 29, 2017, 08:05:11 AM »
With my sister the past few days:  Cronos, The Devil's Backbone & 12 Monkeys (first viewings for her, all three).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #27001 on: December 29, 2017, 08:10:52 PM »

Ida is a triumph of conciseness and Pawlikowski a master of the narrative ellipse. Photography (B&W) is especially rich.

Margot is a triumph of pictorial flamboyance and Chéreau (Bayreuth’s enfant terrible) is a master storyteller in this over the top historical drama.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27002 on: December 30, 2017, 02:21:03 AM »

Margot is a triumph of pictorial flamboyance and Chéreau (Bayreuth’s enfant terrible) is a master storyteller in this over the top historical drama.

A wonderful film  8)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #27003 on: December 30, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »
The Big Sick (2017, dir. Michael Showalter) -- Hilarious and touching, based on the true story of comedian Kumail Nanjiani, who -- despite the wishes of his Pakistani family -- falls in love with an American graduate student, Emily Gordon. Wonderful, with at least one riotously funny line that I won't give away here.

--Bruce
"Do you realize that we're meteorites; almost as soon as we're born, we have to disappear?"

~Iannis Xenakis

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #27004 on: December 30, 2017, 03:34:58 PM »
The Big Sick (2017, dir. Michael Showalter) -- Hilarious and touching, based on the true story of comedian Kumail Nanjiani, who -- despite the wishes of his Pakistani family -- falls in love with an American graduate student, Emily Gordon. Wonderful, with at least one riotously funny line that I won't give away here.

A great film! (If the riotously funny line involves 911, then I know which one you mean.)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27005 on: December 30, 2017, 07:39:52 PM »

--Bruce

A great film! (If the riotously funny line involves 911, then I know which one you mean.)

Bruce & George - we saw that film in mid-November and really enjoyed - a number of members posted back then and gave away the presumed 'funny line' mentioned - Dave :)

Offline anothername

• New name no double account .
    https://youtu.be/9KsWpuqTYLU
« Reply #27006 on: December 30, 2017, 09:25:53 PM »

Ida is a triumph of conciseness and Pawlikowski a master of the narrative ellipse. Photography (B&W) is especially rich.

very moving.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #27007 on: December 30, 2017, 11:19:11 PM »
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

I cannot for the life of me understand why this has been so positively reviewed. I saw this last night. I really thought this was pretty awful. Great cast, terrible script. This was a real bomb IMO.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27008 on: December 31, 2017, 03:03:37 AM »
Back to back....

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #27009 on: December 31, 2017, 08:16:47 AM »
I cannot for the life of me understand why this has been so positively reviewed. I saw this last night. I really thought this was pretty awful. Great cast, terrible script. This was a real bomb IMO.

I find this to be the case with most movies reviewed, and especially during this time of year. Period. This movie they've suckered you into sitting through doesn't look remotely interesting on ANY level .. let alone "the script" (a main contention for most amateur commentary, like they know how to write one or what's involved there) .. ditto empty assertions about the "dialog" ... like that's all a movie is!
Action is the only truth

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #27010 on: December 31, 2017, 09:05:36 AM »
I find this to be the case with most movies reviewed, and especially during this time of year. Period. This movie they've suckered you into sitting through doesn't look remotely interesting on ANY level .. let alone "the script" (a main contention for most amateur commentary, like they know how to write one or what's involved there) .. ditto empty assertions about the "dialog" ... like that's all a movie is!
The cast was excellent and In Bruges, the writer/director's previous outing, was fairly entertaining. This was billed as a big step up and deepening for this auteur. Step Down! I stand by my observation that the main problem here was the script/concept. This came off as a poor man's Coen Brothers. It just goes to show how talented the Coen Brothers really are (by comparison).
On a positive note, I thought Lady Bird was pretty good, if not great.

It won't be to everyone's taste (I seem to remember you hating Boyhood, which I thought was genius, so you might not like this one - another dry coming-of-age flick) but I thought it was engaging, well-crafted, if not a revelation.
The best movie of the year was...drum roll...

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #27011 on: December 31, 2017, 10:00:47 AM »
The cast was excellent and In Bruges, the writer/director's previous outing, was fairly entertaining. This was billed as a big step up and deepening for this auteur. Step Down! I stand by my observation that the main problem here was the script/concept. This came off as a poor man's Coen Brothers. It just goes to show how talented the Coen Brothers really are (by comparison).

It won't be to everyone's taste (I seem to remember you hating Boyhood, which I thought was genius, so you might not like this one - another dry coming-of-age flick) but I thought it was engaging, well-crafted, if not a revelation.

Coen Brother's are over-rated and very hit and miss ... for me, most of what they have done so far is mediocre. Boyhood was a long bore and dull to look at & listen-to - there was nothing special about it. Coming of age stories? Been there, done that. Ditto war pictures, I've reach my saturation point with those and am no longer interested in seeing anymore, and I've seen most the main ones going back to the 1930s! ... Nolan is another director who is very over-rated ... most of what he has done isn't that great either, a lot of it is hollow and does nothing for me.
Action is the only truth

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #27012 on: December 31, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »

Yes, Dunkirk is the best movie I have seen in several years.

The script is a marvel of construction. I have often found Nolan's twistiness unconvincing — every time since Memento in fact — but here it works.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #27013 on: December 31, 2017, 05:13:23 PM »
Yes, Dunkirk is the best movie I have seen in several years.

The script is a marvel of construction. I have often found Nolan's twistiness unconvincing — every time since Memento in fact — but here it works.
Yeah, I think movies like Dunkirk and La La Land show what modern movies are capable of with a strong directorial vision.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27014 on: December 31, 2017, 06:55:08 PM »
Yeah, I think movies like Dunkirk and La La Land show what modern movies are capable of with a strong directorial vision.

Hi Milk - wonderful that so many movies exist that are appealing to some but disliked by others - wife and I enjoyed Three Billboards..., although I'm not sure we want to see the film again (I gave it a 4*/5* on a previous post in this thread); OTOH, we disliked La La Land - thought the music stunk and the performers were mediocre in their 'musical roles' - now, I'm a great fan of Hollywood musicals and own a LOT from many decades, La La Land is a dud IMO, BUT others loved the film - Dave :)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #27015 on: December 31, 2017, 09:23:43 PM »
To carry me into the new year, Charade.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #27016 on: December 31, 2017, 10:32:54 PM »
Hi Milk - wonderful that so many movies exist that are appealing to some but disliked by others - wife and I enjoyed Three Billboards..., although I'm not sure we want to see the film again (I gave it a 4*/5* on a previous post in this thread); OTOH, we disliked La La Land - thought the music stunk and the performers were mediocre in their 'musical roles' - now, I'm a great fan of Hollywood musicals and own a LOT from many decades, La La Land is a dud IMO, BUT others loved the film - Dave :)
it’s still fun to hear the reasons why people like and dislike things even if we disagree. Happy New Year!

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27017 on: January 01, 2018, 04:07:41 AM »
Solace....

Worth a watch but then I like both of the protagonists.

Offline Abuelo Igor

The sound of one hand clapping
« Reply #27018 on: January 01, 2018, 03:34:33 PM »
Still, a film that deserves wider recognition than it has received

Not only that: Zabriskie Point is actually on Wikipedia's "Worst films of the 70s" list! That only goes to show how much that site is to be trusted as a universal cultural reference for the unwashed.

Antonioni is a hero of mine too. Took me some time, but I fondly recall a screening of The Passenger in Madrid's Cine Doré as a personal "Saul falling from his horse on his way to Damascus" moment.
L'enfant, c'est moi.

kishnevi

« Reply #27019 on: January 01, 2018, 07:45:41 PM »
Solace....

Worth a watch but then I like both of the protagonists.

Yes. I can imagine both Hopkins and Farrell doing an excellent job in either of the two roles the poster mentions.