Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1629043 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #27060 on: December 02, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »
Thread Duty:  No surprise again-- Back to the Future Pt III
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline LKB

something between my ears
« Reply #27061 on: December 02, 2017, 10:50:40 PM »
Is it fair to say, that he got a second chance thanks to Tarantino believing in him?

That's an accurate statement if you're referring to Pulp Fiction triggering his comeback in the '90's. Battlefield Earth came out in 2000, and I'm pretty sure Tarantino hasn't worked with J.T.since then.

Long live The Bride,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27062 on: December 03, 2017, 04:29:44 AM »
That's an accurate statement if you're referring to Pulp Fiction triggering his comeback in the '90's. Battlefield Earth came out in 2000, and I'm pretty sure Tarantino hasn't worked with J.T.since then.

Long live The Bride,

LKB

Thanks for the enlightenment!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27063 on: December 03, 2017, 05:02:10 AM »
Rage....

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27064 on: December 03, 2017, 09:24:41 AM »
James Stewart Westerns from the early 1950s w/ Anthony Mann - last few nights (and several to go), I've been watching the westerns shown below (made from 1950 to 1955) w/ James Stewart and directed by Mann with excellent character supporting actors - Winchester 73 is B&W and often felt to be the best; the rest are in technicolor w/ great outdoor scenery shots; the first three are in the old 1.33 aspect ratio while the last two are widescreen.  I own 2 on DVD and 3 on DVD-R, the latter from the TCM channel - to date, NONE have been released as restored blu-ray discs, which if done well would produce some excellent looking films.  :)  Dave

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27065 on: December 05, 2017, 02:00:16 AM »
About a Boy....

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27066 on: December 05, 2017, 02:15:04 AM »
Last night, Mimic with director Guillermo del Toro's commentary.  I never saw the theatrical release, so I have no experience of the Hollywoodizations which were reportedly such a trial for him.  I do really enjoy the movie in its present incarnation (so to speak).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27068 on: December 06, 2017, 04:31:57 AM »
Gothika....

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27069 on: December 06, 2017, 04:49:08 AM »
Watched Hellboy II again last night.  Very peculiar of me, that I have taken to these.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27070 on: December 06, 2017, 08:19:44 AM »
Watched Hellboy II again last night.  Very peculiar of me, that I have taken to these.

I like this about as much as the first movie, even though the ‘tooth fairy’ scene really strains the suspension of disbelief (as Roger Ebert remarks, “in my personal opinion, Hellboy is wasting his time trying to shoot them one at a time”).  These wee beasties swarm over and eat alive at least one of the human agents on the mission, but ‘Red’, ‘Blue’ & Liz do all right with just picking off the one or five appear to light upon them.  That quibble aside, though, it’s all great.  Abe listens to the Mozart clarinet quintet and to Vivaldi, and has just enough sense to be secretive about the Barry Manilow.  Personally, I am grateful that Ron Perlman sings along out of tune.  It suits.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27071 on: December 06, 2017, 08:48:26 AM »
The World At War (1973) - an old documentary from 1973 w/ Laurence Olivier narrating - now restored on blu-ray (review shown from HERE) - the live footage on this restoration is just remarkable, some in color (or colorized); multiple interviews w/ participants in the war, many still alive at that time.  For those interested in WWII, this BD edition is a must see - I'm just on the 3rd BD at the moment - highly recommended.  Dave :)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27072 on: December 06, 2017, 09:36:23 AM »
The World At War (1973) - an old documentary from 1973 w/ Laurence Olivier narrating - now restored on blu-ray (review shown from HERE) - the live footage on this restoration is just remarkable, some in color (or colorized); multiple interviews w/ participants in the war, many still alive at that time.  For those interested in WWII, this BD edition is a must see - I'm just on the 3rd BD at the moment - highly recommended.  Dave :)

I've got it on DVD, Dave, don't make me spring for the BD!  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27073 on: December 06, 2017, 10:03:11 AM »

I've got it on DVD, Dave, don't make me spring for the BD!  0:)

Karl - LOL!  ;D  Well, look at the link and read the review - I saw the DVD version a while back - it really is worth the BD upgrade - Amazon seems to offer two versions at different prices - I bought the more expensive one (about $20 less w/ some gift credit) shown below (believe there are about 6 extra hours of supplements).  Dave :)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27074 on: December 07, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »
Ghost Ship....

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27075 on: December 09, 2017, 05:39:01 AM »
Believe it or not, The Godfather last night.  It is a little less sensational a consideration than usual, but this was my first uninterrupted, absolutely every frame, viewing.  Several years ago, I had seen probably 97% of it, on cable (back when I might still watch a movie on cable).  How beautifully shot, and how altogether chilling.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Alberich

• Veteran member
  • "I don't have a horse face!"
« Reply #27076 on: December 09, 2017, 11:17:55 AM »
Believe it or not, The Godfather last night.  It is a little less sensational a consideration than usual, but this was my first uninterrupted, absolutely every frame, viewing.  Several years ago, I had seen probably 97% of it, on cable (back when I might still watch a movie on cable).  How beautifully shot, and how altogether chilling.

Great film which blows me away every time but the part II managed to top even that, especially towards the ending.

Then of course came part III but to be honest, I don't nowadays see it as a complete failure. King Lear allusions were cool, what with Vincent's Edmund-esque character and all and indeed I see him as a relatively interesting character. That biting scene was a stroke of genius. I also liked Michael's genuinely portrayed efforts to win Kay back.
"I am a shadowy reflection of you."

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27077 on: December 09, 2017, 05:31:55 PM »
Great film which blows me away every time but the part II managed to top even that, especially towards the ending.

Then of course came part III but to be honest, I don't nowadays see it as a complete failure. King Lear allusions were cool, what with Vincent's Edmund-esque character and all and indeed I see him as a relatively interesting character. That biting scene was a stroke of genius. I also liked Michael's genuinely portrayed efforts to win Kay back.

Aye, and (no surprise) I watched Part II this evening. To rather a greater degree than the first movie, this is the first I've watched the whole, each sweet frame ... perhaps as much as 20% of Part II was new to me, this go.

Back when I first watched the three, it must have been a "Godfather-a-thon" ... so my guess is, that I had something to do which "interfered" with Part II, so that I missed as much as I had.

(Perhaps I missed as much, of Part III. Stay tuned.)

Part II
is magnificent, even while it is rather messier than the first. I don't mean technically, but the story (and there, too, I mean not technically, but content). Michael manages to keep The Business alive, but his family (and, ironically or pregnantly, of course, the family has been code for the business) unravels around him.

It was, indeed, rather whimsical of me to reel in the Blu-ray box, because I was not sure that I really wanted to go back to these. Or, I suppose, I subconsciously knew I was really more engaged.

Anyway, I also thought markedly better of Part III than critical consensus (?) has set forth.  We shall see what tomorrow brings.  But ahead of starter's orders, I fully agree: Part III did not at all suck.

8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #27078 on: December 10, 2017, 12:54:34 AM »
Anyway, I also thought markedly better of Part III than critical consensus (?) has set forth.  We shall see what tomorrow brings.  But ahead of starter's orders, I fully agree: Part III did not at all suck.

8)
Part III is an excellent movie. Trouble is, Parts I & II are among the greatest movies of all time.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27079 on: December 10, 2017, 03:28:01 AM »
Taken Heart....

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK