Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1842814 times)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #27240 on: February 03, 2018, 03:57:14 PM »

It's one of those a-dinner-party-starts-to-unravel type of films. It has a really impressive cast led by Kristin Scott Thomas and Timothy Spall and it's shot beautifully in crisp black & white widescreen. Unfortunately the script only occasionally rings true, and it's much less witty than it thinks it is. Whole film is tonally at sea, maybe would have worked better as broad Feydeau-like farce. The way it is, is neither believable as a drama, nor sharp enough for a satire, nor funny enough for a comedy. Thankfully it's only 66 minutes long.

Try this movie with the same title!  Guaranteed to be better (with the exception of the scenes with Claudine Longet (whose appeal and fame escaped me 50 years ago), since it has Peter Sellers as a clueless Indian actor:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nHCE96REw28" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nHCE96REw28</a>

Hi Cato - watched The Cowboys a few months ago (DVR off the TCM channel) and enjoyed - had seen just once a while back - decided that I did not need to own.  Dave :)

Hey Dave!  Check out the above, if you don't know it!  Assorted excerpts like the above abound on YouTube!
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #27241 on: February 03, 2018, 05:43:49 PM »
Try this movie with the same title!  Guaranteed to be better (with the exception of the scenes with Claudine Longet (whose appeal and fame escaped me 50 years ago), since it has Peter Sellers as a clueless Indian actor:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nHCE96REw28" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nHCE96REw28</a>

Hey Dave!  Check out the above, if you don't know it!  Assorted excerpts like the above abound on YouTube!

I saw that at the theater when it came out, in a double billing with Salt and Pepper (Peter Lawford and Sammy Davis Jr.). In those days you had 2 movies for the price of admission ! Hilarious !

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #27242 on: February 03, 2018, 06:20:15 PM »
I saw that at the theater when it came out, in a double billing with Salt and Pepper (Peter Lawford and Sammy Davis Jr.). In those days you had 2 movies for the price of admission ! Hilarious !

Salt and Pepper!!!   Now there is an all-around midnight fave!   8) ;D

I saw The Party at a drive-in with my parents!  My father was roaring, and even my mother was laughing (no mean trick!) !   0:)
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #27243 on: February 04, 2018, 01:55:51 AM »

This was another rewatch for me. This little Hal Ashby gem scored a 61% on rotten tomatoes. 61%!!! WTF? This is an incisive and witty satire, a film that never stops moving. What I love about this is how it's sort of a merry-go-round of character motivation: everyone has mixed and confused jealousy at every moment; the actors are wonderful at portraying sharp turns of desire and pique. And who doesn't love Jack Warden? What a cast and what a small masterpiece.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27244 on: February 04, 2018, 03:44:10 AM »
Joy....

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #27245 on: February 05, 2018, 02:01:12 AM »
Last night, with (in the parlance of our times) "the fam," Strictly Ballroom, one of our traditional feel-good movies.  Listen to the rhythm ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Mozart painted by Jean-Baptiste Greuze, 1763-64
« Reply #27246 on: February 05, 2018, 02:16:38 AM »
Yesterday night on TV:

I just loved Brad Pitt's super-cool Southern accent and Christoph Waltz's excellent play, but overall it's a piece of nonsense.
Music, even in situations of the greatest horror, should never be painful to the ear but should flatter and charm it, and thereby always remain music.. - Mozart

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #27247 on: February 05, 2018, 02:33:46 AM »
Joy....

I was expecting to hate this movie, but I found it surprisingly interesting.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27248 on: February 05, 2018, 06:48:36 AM »
Branagh on Dunkirk

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uivjORoSW0k" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uivjORoSW0k</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Alberich

• Veteran member
  • Huge fan of 19th and 20th century art.
« Reply #27249 on: February 05, 2018, 07:22:23 AM »

Hard to believe this was a John Huston film. I expected, based on the awards and nominations the movie got, at the very least a decent film, what I got was completely forgettable, boring and most of all, pointless piece of work. The movie may have had some thematic relevance but if it did, I missed it all. Not recommended.

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Offline Draško

« Reply #27250 on: February 05, 2018, 09:31:08 AM »

Two films about two very different kings.

Stella Cadente is about king whom nobody wanted, Amadeo I of Spain, formerly and latterly Duke of Aosta. How noble ambition gets throttled and subsequent descent into hedonism and decadence. Slightly viscontian, with surrealist touches.

The Death of Louis XIV is about exactly what the title says. I was pretty mesmerized by it's mostly hieratic and ritualistic goings-on, but this is only recommended to those who can withstand the pacing of likes of Bela Tarr or Theo Angelopuolos, for most of general audience it'll be like watching paint dry, or in this case an old man die.
What I disliked was the use of Mozart as soundtrack, they should have gone with the right period: Gilles or Lully or Delalande would have worked perfectly.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:37:36 AM by Draško »

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27251 on: February 05, 2018, 09:45:42 AM »
Last few nights, we streamed several recent films off Amazon from my 'to see' list:

Viceroy's House (2017) w/ Hugh Bonneville & Gillian Anderson - ratings: 6.6/10, IMDB; 71%, Rotten Tomatoes; 4.2*/5*, Amazon - short synopsis quoted below; about the independence of India and partition into two nations, other being Pakistan (70th Anniversary year when released) - docudrama that is at times slow but atmospheric of the time and place - would do at least 3 1/2*/5* - recommended, especially if interested in the topic.

Victoria & Abdul (2017) w/ Judi Dench & Ali Fazal - ratings: 6.8/10, IMDB; 66%, Rotten Tomatoes; 4*/5*, Amazon - short synopsis second quote below.  Watched w/ my wife and we both enjoyed - Fazal plays Abdul Karim, and became her Munshi (see link for more, if interested).  This time I go w/ the Amazonians, i.e. a 4*/5* rating - recommended.  Dave :)

New nations are rarely born in peace... India, 1947: Lord Mountbatten (Hugh Bonneville) is dispatched, along with his wife Edwina (Gillian Anderson), to New Delhi to oversee the country's transition from British rule to independence. Taking his place in the resplendent mansion known as the Viceroy's House, Mountbatten arrives hopeful for a peaceful transference of power. But ending centuries of colonial rule in a country divided by deep religious and cultural differences proves no easy undertaking, setting off a seismic struggle that threatens to tear India apart.

The extraordinary true story of an unexpected friendship in the later years of Queen Victoria's (Judi Dench) remarkable rule. When Abdul Karim (Ali Fazal), a young clerk, travels from India to participate in the Queen's Golden Jubilee, he is surprised to find favor with the Queen herself. As the Queen questions the constrictions of her long-held position, the two forge an unlikely and devoted alliance with a loyalty to one another that her household and inner circle all attempt to destroy. As the friendship deepens, the Queen begins to see a changing world through new eyes and joyfully reclaims her humanity.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27252 on: February 05, 2018, 12:38:22 PM »

I was expecting to hate this movie, but I found it surprisingly interesting.

I did not know what to expect but I also found it interesting and sngaging.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

kishnevi

« Reply #27253 on: February 05, 2018, 07:24:05 PM »

Hard to believe this was a John Huston film. I expected, based on the awards and nominations the movie got, at the very least a decent film, what I got was completely forgettable, boring and most of all, pointless piece of work. The movie may have had some thematic relevance but if it did, I missed it all. Not recommended.

Given the inwardness of Joyce's original story-- which is essentially describing the reactions and thoughts of one character as she observes and participates in the "actions" of the story-- I am not sure one could make a good film of it.

You do prompt me though--it's been too long since I read anything of Dubliners, especially this story.

ETA The poster uses "vast" and "merry".  Hardly the adjectives I would use.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:25:45 PM by Jeffrey Smith »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27254 on: February 06, 2018, 01:54:29 AM »
Finished Django Unchained last night.  Stronger than I remembered (but, the first viewing was a social occasion, and there is rather a bit I missed at the time).  I especially enjoy the way that the nature of Schultz's new profession is gradually revealed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27255 on: February 07, 2018, 09:56:32 AM »
The Journey....

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #27256 on: February 09, 2018, 12:26:44 PM »

I really liked The Florida Project. I think it deserved a best picture nomination.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #27257 on: February 09, 2018, 01:02:22 PM »
Crooked House

A not overly successful adaptation of the Agatha Christie novel of the same name. Too little character, too much moody, dark, shaky camera work. Not unwatchable, but not recommended.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Draško

« Reply #27258 on: February 10, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »

Two hours in a life of a slightly neurotic pop star while she ambles around 60s Paris waiting for results of medical tests. A new wave classic.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 11:02:14 AM by Draško »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #27259 on: February 10, 2018, 12:47:54 PM »

Two hours in a life of a slightly neurotic pop star while she ambles around 60s Paris waiting for results of medical tests. A new wave classic.

Agnès Varda is a rare phenomenon in the world of cinema. She directed her first feature film La Pointe courte in 1955 and immediately drew the attention of critics. 63 years later she is still going strong, her latest film Visage, villages is nominated for an oscar at the 2018 Academy Awards (best documentary) as well as at the french César awards (the french oscars). A living legend,  she will be 90 in a few months. Fiercely independent, most of her (all too rare) films are documentaries. Cléo is probably her lasting contribution to the Nouvelle vague, a film in which the city (Paris) is a character, a foil for Cléo’s moods and thoughts.