Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1966147 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #27820 on: July 07, 2018, 03:52:41 PM »
So yesterday and today, I rewatched Return of the Jedi. Okay, it's essentially Flash Gordon with vastly superior production values. Apart, of course, from an even capable script. The best I can say, and it's worth saying, is that I am even more taken with Carrie Fisher's and Harrison Ford's performances than before, they play their evolving relationship with good depth. I shan't detail the many quarrels, which is no better sport than shooting large fish in a small barrel. Only parenthetically (pace our Brian) while I am apt to note where Lucas made CGI &c. alterations in the movie, they work me up not in the least.

I used to think the childish Ewoks' worship of C3PO the Golden Droid the dumbest thing in the trilogy. But, then came November 2016.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #27821 on: July 07, 2018, 05:21:42 PM »
Only parenthetically (pace our Brian) while I am apt to note where Lucas made CGI &c. alterations in the movie, they work me up not in the least.

Not even the insertion of Hayden Christensen?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27822 on: July 08, 2018, 01:51:23 AM »
Not even the insertion of Hayden Christensen?

I just read it as one more weak artistic afterthought.

The mischief-maker in me did mishear that tender dialogue between Luke and Leia . . .

LUKE
Leia... do you remember your mother? Your real mother?

LEIA
Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.

LUKE
What do you remember?

LEIA
She was very beautiful. Kind, but...sad.  And she couldn't act her way out of a wet paper sack.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #27823 on: July 08, 2018, 02:54:36 AM »
I saw a hilarious meme recently on Facebook, that went thusly:

During the filming of Attack Of The Clones, Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen, in their scenes together, played a prank on George Lucas by pretending they had never acted before. Lucas loved the prank so much, he ended up using most of the footage in the final cut.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27824 on: July 09, 2018, 08:55:22 AM »
Black Mass

Definitely worth a watch.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Draško

« Reply #27825 on: July 10, 2018, 07:28:34 AM »

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #27826 on: July 11, 2018, 01:14:13 AM »
LBJ (2016), during my flight to Cairo with Egyptair - not that bad and at least incomparably more realistic about the dilemmas of the presidency than the script that is currently running.
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #27827 on: July 11, 2018, 02:00:31 AM »
Recently we saw...

The Incredibles II  Great fun, enlivened especially by Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks (both of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul fame and playing roles slyly reminiscent of their parts in those shows).

We might watch it a second time: behind us happened to be sitting a mother with an adult child who suffered from assorted problems.  He produced a running commentary: I described it as having both Robin Williams and Jim Carrey imitating Yoda and The Tasmanian Devil.   ;)   

We accustomed ourselves to the situation fairly quickly and laughed it off.  (The poor mother deserves canonization and the son needs our prayers!)

Anyway, speaking of prayers and burdens, the real suffering came when a preview hit the screen for a sequel to a "cringe-worthy" movie from a few years ago, a musical which featured 50-/60-something actors cavorting on the beach as if they were teenagers.  The preview offered an even more "ewww eeeyuk" cringe-worthy experience with now 60-/70-something actors cavorting on beaches as if they were teenagers.

We kept praying: "Please, God, make it go away!"  But no, the purgatorial experience stayed on the screen for minutes and minutes at high volume!

Yes, it was...Mama Mia Part II ??? ??? ??? :o :o :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27828 on: July 11, 2018, 02:28:15 AM »
The horror, the horror . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #27829 on: July 11, 2018, 02:51:16 AM »
The horror, the horror . . . .

Especially when...Cher...came on!  Barely able to move her botox-plasticized mouth, but yes, still audible!  8)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #27830 on: July 11, 2018, 03:27:47 AM »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27831 on: July 11, 2018, 09:46:29 AM »
Last night, I watched The Silence of the Lambs with the commentary track.  Normally, I should not have said that I needed to watch it again so soon . . . but the blu-ray disc had come in, and I felt like celebrating.  An excellent and informative commentary.

I also watched (from the other blu-ray disc in yesterday's parcel) the 20-minute "Plate of Shrimp" documentary extra for Repo Man.  Alex Cox sent 18-year-old Olivia Barash to . . . Flying Saucer conventions, which sound like borderline child abuse.  That underground of Flying Saucer conventions is a weird, weird scene, judging by the glimpse afforded by Dave Ossman in his Flying Saucer Murder Case.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27832 on: July 12, 2018, 07:42:21 AM »
Queen of the Desert

A story about a rather fascinating woman.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #27833 on: July 14, 2018, 06:14:18 AM »
Hard to believe that the movie is now 60 years old!

It also has the best musical score for a Western ever composed, courtesy of Jerome Moross.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27834 on: July 14, 2018, 06:05:03 PM »
Hard to believe that the movie is now 60 years old!

It also has the best musical score for a Western ever composed, courtesy of Jerome Moross.

One of my favorite westerns w/ excellent performances all around, and Burl Ives winning an Oscar!  The film score was nominated for Best Dramatic musical score but was beat out by THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA (Dimitri Tiomkin).  Dave :)

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27835 on: July 15, 2018, 01:56:16 AM »
Goldarnit, youse guys, are ye gonna make me watch another western?!!  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #27836 on: July 15, 2018, 02:39:45 AM »
One of my favorite westerns w/ excellent performances all around, and Burl Ives winning an Oscar!  The film score was nominated for Best Dramatic musical score but was beat out by THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA (Dimitri Tiomkin).  Dave :)

Incomprehensible!

Saddle up, Pilgrim, and get your guns ready!

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #27837 on: July 15, 2018, 03:08:32 AM »

Karl - a MUST in my mind - own the BD which replaced my DVD - if you stream from Amazon, just 3 or 4 bucks (SD vs. HD) - enjoy - :)  Dave

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #27838 on: July 17, 2018, 03:25:29 AM »
Currently watching The Thief and the Cobbler ("Recobbled Cut", Mark 4)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yZibUpH-AME" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yZibUpH-AME</a>

I heard about this on a podcast episode and it was sufficiently fascinating to check out. An unfinished animation masterpiece, worked on for 30 years before a butchered version was released, then repaired as much as possible by admirers. Along the way, considerable chunks of the ideas were appropriated for Aladdin.

I can't quite decide what it is. The animation is astoundingly fluid at times, unnervingly so, because it was drawn as a genuine 24 frames per second which is almost unheard of. And certain elements of it are witty and clever (the way the Thief is constantly accompanied by flies for example). But it's also frankly bizarre. I can make allowances for the relatively small segments that are only pencil or storyboarded, but the way the characters move and behave is so downright odd a lot of the time that I find it all a bit too unsettling to say "oh yes, this is a masterpiece". Animation does give you the ability to be non-realistic but I find this just a bit too strange.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by a couple of decades of computer animation and forget what the hand-drawn stuff could be like.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27839 on: July 17, 2018, 03:49:40 AM »
Mostly (perhaps) for Jeffrey . . . at last I watched (about the first 40 minutes of) Excalibur last night; had not seen any of it since going to the cinema decades ago.  To rush to the conclusion:  I enjoyed it, and will go back to watch the whole.  That first time, long ago, I doubt that I did the movie much fairness.  The strongest memory from of old, was the Carmina burana charge . . . and likely, my soul was so busy rolling its figurative eyes, that I was unable to mark what was happening on screen.  There are a dozen details which (my trip, and not any "fault" of the movie, I am now sure) got in my way.  As a Yank, I have no business opining so, but Arthur felt odd to me.  And I suppose I wanted Merlin to be a kind of Gandalf (partly, I suppose, how I 'processed' the character in the Mary Stewart books).  Yesterday, though, I found I simply enjoyed the quirky touches of the Merlin realization, and I was content to leave Arthur be.  I need to return the DVD to the library, so I shall need to check it out again to finish.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA