Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1967012 times)

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #28380 on: November 10, 2018, 05:17:12 AM »
2010: The Year We Make Contact

The filmmaking here, I feel, is equal to or even surpasses that of its predecessor. I think that 2010 is a very worthy sequel to 2001 where many other sequels have fallen short of the original quality standard and that this is a fine film in its own right even if it is dependent on a foreknowledge of its predecessor for full comprehension. It is most definitely worth a look if you have not seen it.

Wow, that's like saying Die Hard 2 is better than Die Hard 1.  ??? Sure, 2010 is a fine sci-fi movie (yes, definitely worth it imo and I really like some stuff in it like the air braking), but equal to or even better than 2001, one of the best movies by one of greatest directors? Who are we kidding?  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28381 on: November 10, 2018, 05:37:26 AM »
Wow, that's like saying Die Hard 2 is better than Die Hard 1.  ??? Sure, 2010 is a fine sci-fi movie (yes, definitely worth it imo and I really like some stuff in it like the air braking), but equal to or even better than 2001, one of the best movies by one of greatest directors? Who are we kidding?  ;D

All simply a matter of one's own valid opinion.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #28382 on: November 10, 2018, 06:39:54 AM »

Chappaquiddick.  A serious and sober (and hence very un-Kennedy-like) take on Teddy's old glug-glug, vroom-vroom, splash-splash boo-boo that, luckily for him and the good and moral voters of Massachusetts, benefitted from spectacularly good timing, significantly reducing the impact of what should have been a career ending, prison time inducing crime.  Jason Clarke does good enough work playing the loutish lush, sometimes appearing to mean well, sometimes acting downright craven, and sometimes seeming just so put upon.  (How very sad it must be to come from such wealth and power.)  The supporting cast is variable, with Ed Helms and Jim Gaffigan (?) rather out of place.  Kata Mara doesn't really get to do much as the speedbump in Teddy's career, although, as always, she looks lovely.  Other than Clarke, the highlight for me was Clancy Brown's take on (self-identified) war criminal extraordinaire Bob McNamara trying to fix the mess.  Ultimately, there doesn't seem to be a way to make an especially good movie about the subject, and this one is probably enough for me.  It's decent enough for one viewing.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    something between my ears
« Reply #28383 on: November 10, 2018, 11:48:12 AM »
2010: The Year We Make Contact

The filmmaking here, I feel, is equal to or even surpasses that of its predecessor.

If by that you mean to say that you enjoy the sequel more than Kubrick's masterwork, fine. We like what we like, and l would never argue against personal preference.

If, on the other hand, you're asserting that Peter Hyam's effort is qualitatively superior to Kubrick's, then I have to disagree. 2010 is enjoyable enough on its own, but it aim's lower, and both attempt's and accomplishes less than 2001  .

This is, of course, my personal opinion, but it is in accord with any number of qualified evaluations of 2001 which have appeared over the last fifty years, including that of Mr. Hyams himself.

Respectfully,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28384 on: November 10, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »
If by that you mean to say that you enjoy the sequel more than Kubrick's masterwork, fine. We like what we like, and l would never argue against personal preference.

If, on the other hand, you're asserting that Peter Hyam's effort is qualitatively superior to Kubrick's, then I have to disagree. 2010 is enjoyable enough on its own, but it aim's lower, and both attempt's and accomplishes less than 2001  .

This is, of course, my personal opinion, but it is in accord with any number of qualified evaluations of 2001 which have appeared over the last fifty years, including that of Mr. Hyams himself.

Respectfully,

LKB

Your respectful disagreement is most graciously accepted.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28385 on: November 10, 2018, 02:41:03 PM »

Second viewing of both. Just as impressed with each as I was the first time around. In This World is probably Michael Winterbottom's finest work.

Offline Draško

« Reply #28386 on: November 10, 2018, 05:03:39 PM »

A watchable little thriller. Young movie star gets killed, her assistant and bff is main suspect, tries to sleuth it out herself ... lots of well filmed neon lit LA, nice score, and pretty chilled out kind of existential feel for a thriller. Decent enough, even if I didn't quite get the final, post reveal, scene. And Lenny Kravitz's daughter is really pretty.   

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #28387 on: November 11, 2018, 06:32:51 AM »
Great score by Franz Waxman, a score (according to one source) praised by Bernard Herrmann as #1 !

The movie itself has its moments: Yul Brynner as a Cossack leader is a natural! 

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #28388 on: November 11, 2018, 07:54:29 AM »

Annihilation.  Queen Amidala and Poe Dameron take on an invading alien that aims to very slowly take over the world at the DNA level.  The movie is chock full of poorly defined characters, terrible dialogue, annoying timeline and scene jumps, un-science-y science, a goofy climax, and a blah ending.  While many bright, colorful, and, one must surmise, supposedly powerful images grace the screen, it really looks hokey, with more than a few poorly done CGI bits.  The movie often seems like nothing more than a pastiche of ideas gathered from better sources: one can see movies as diverse as Alien, Swamp Thing, John Carpenter’s The Thing (there's a very nice homage in one scene), Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and others I didn’t mention or don’t know.  It sure seems like the director knows his video games, too, because Prey and Gears of War covered some of the same ground. 

In short, the movie is a mess.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #28389 on: November 12, 2018, 06:20:53 AM »
"Final Portrait," based on a true story of a Giacometti painting.  Great performance by Geoffrey Rush.  An intriguing story and a good study of the creative artistic process.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4494718/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Recommended.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Offline pjme

« Reply #28390 on: November 12, 2018, 06:28:50 AM »

A great European / Italian film that brought tears to my eyes. It is a parable or a fairy tale with biblical connotations and a strong message about (socio-cultural) decline.
Taviani brothers, Fellini, Passolini...director Alice Rohrwacher works on a very high level and shows much more than sentimental nostalgia.
 Adriano Tardiolo is an angel!

I add this quote from variety:

Rohrwacher deftly skirts sentimentality even as she risks big, expansive poetic gestures: A scene where heavens-opening organ music is literally stolen from a cathedral, exiting the church doors on a fair evening wind, is almost chillingly lovely, while the film mostly resists preciousness as it weaves recurring traditional mythology into an already amply storied narrative.

read the whole articlle at: https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/happy-as-lazzaro-review-1202808832/
...but above all: go watch this film.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:18:54 AM by pjme »

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #28391 on: November 15, 2018, 12:21:21 PM »
One Hour Photo. A slow burn, poignant and intense.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-6xDdGS2MqU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-6xDdGS2MqU</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #28392 on: November 15, 2018, 12:28:20 PM »

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #28393 on: November 15, 2018, 06:00:07 PM »

What did you think?

I thought that was good, I wanna see it again.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #28394 on: November 15, 2018, 06:45:17 PM »
What did you think?

I thought that was good, I wanna see it again.

Real good, George. Although the plot itself is not necessarily complex, it is filled with enthralling storytelling and editing, and Phoenix perfectly, and beautifully, portrays his conflicted character. I am looking forward to a second viewing as well. Certainly one of 2018's best films.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #28395 on: November 15, 2018, 07:12:39 PM »
Real good, George. Although the plot itself is not necessarily complex, it is filled with enthralling storytelling and editing, and Phoenix perfectly, and beautifully, portrays his conflicted character. I am looking forward to a second viewing as well. Certainly one of 2018's best films.

Well said! 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Draško

« Reply #28396 on: November 16, 2018, 08:17:22 AM »

My favorite Marvel based movie post Spider-Man 2, the only one I had the desire to re-watch. It's not especially great but there are couple of things I found appealing. One being that I like the Japanese setting and the other is that the basic story is straight out of 80s B movies on which I grew up:
The hero is all unshaven and world weary somewhere in the mountains; old friend who is dying wants to see him; asks him to protect his very fetching granddaughter; bunch of yakuzas and ninjas ensue, lots of fighting a bit of romance; double cross, triple cross; big showdown ending with samurai swords and armour. If the supehero stuff gets disregarded I can easily imagine the same film coming out in mid 80s with Chuck Norris, David Carradine or some such in the lead ... and I'd watch it.   

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #28397 on: November 16, 2018, 09:31:55 AM »

My favorite Marvel based movie post Spider-Man 2, the only one I had the desire to re-watch. It's not especially great but there are couple of things I found appealing. One being that I like the Japanese setting and the other is that the basic story is straight out of 80s B movies on which I grew up:
The hero is all unshaven and world weary somewhere in the mountains; old friend who is dying wants to see him; asks him to protect his very fetching granddaughter; bunch of yakuzas and ninjas ensue, lots of fighting a bit of romance; double cross, triple cross; big showdown ending with samurai swords and armour. If the supehero stuff gets disregarded I can easily imagine the same film coming out in mid 80s with Chuck Norris, David Carradine or some such in the lead ... and I'd watch it.

Great points, Drasko. It's also refreshing when a Comic Book-Superhero movie contains a plot that is more on a personal level for the protagonist, and less of an end-of-world/take-over-the-universe scenario, which I find The Wolverine to be more of the former.

Offline Draško

« Reply #28398 on: November 16, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »
Great points, Drasko. It's also refreshing when a Comic Book-Superhero movie contains a plot that is more on a personal level for the protagonist, and less of an end-of-world/take-over-the-universe scenario, which I find The Wolverine to be more of the former.

Definitely. Though I find the 'world domination' trope perfectly legit as well, just not perfectly convincingly done usually.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #28399 on: November 16, 2018, 06:09:39 PM »
Once again: Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Brilliant execution, great fun.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot