Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 2313645 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #28980 on: June 14, 2019, 09:40:10 AM »
I got a kick out of its being mentioned in Peter's Friends.

I do not know in Peter's Friends Karl but I will watch out for it and will view it if it comes along.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #28981 on: June 14, 2019, 01:19:19 PM »
Top Gun

It has been a very long time since I have watched this and I thought that it had aged well.

Just watched that film last year when I bought the BD version; unfortunately, cannot be said for Kelly McGillis - she was a beauty!  Dave

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28982 on: June 14, 2019, 04:52:53 PM »
They did splendidly.

Heh. I see what you did there. But just at the moment I cant get on board with that.

Crusty old conservative that I am.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #28983 on: June 14, 2019, 05:07:18 PM »
Heh. I see what you did there. But just at the moment I cant get on board with that.

Crusty old conservative that I am.

I am slowly coming to terms with it myself. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #28984 on: June 14, 2019, 07:38:00 PM »
Hi Neal - cannot 'pinpoint' the story plot of the pilot in the back seat - and have seen a TON of these fighter pilot films going back to Wings -  found this IMDB List of 44 films (many do not fit the fighter plane story) but maybe one will jog your memory.  Dave :)
     It sounds like it might be Flying Tigers (1942).

P-40s were 2 seaters, at least the ones used in the film were. I don't know if that was because they were trainers or just a variant.

Thanks for trying guys. I don't think it's that/those, but it has been a while. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28985 on: June 14, 2019, 11:49:50 PM »

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #28986 on: June 15, 2019, 06:01:17 AM »
Renaissance Man, I think the byline "Solid Laughs" disregards the occasional poignant element, which might have turned mawkish.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28987 on: June 15, 2019, 06:19:43 AM »
The Fog

It was worth a re-watch after many years.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #28988 on: June 15, 2019, 06:44:11 AM »
And just t'other day I watched his Hamlet.

R.I.P. Franco Zeffirelli
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #28989 on: June 15, 2019, 07:42:25 AM »
Last night we watched two films selected from the 'C' listing in my movie database - of course, 'lady's choice' so a lot of my favs skipped over:

Champion (1949) w/ Kirk Douglas, Arthur Kennedy, Marilyn Maxwell, Paul Stewart, & Ruth Roman - short synopsis quoted below - one of the many 'boxing films' made over the decades, this one somewhat forgotten but well acted w/ a quite good AV transfer to a blu-ray version - Douglas plays his part well - recommended especially to fans of this genre who may have missed the movie.

Chicago (2002) w/ Renée Zellweger, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Gere, and many others - short synopsis (second quote) for those not familiar w/ this Broadway musical, which opened in 1975 and has had many revivals. We really enjoy this film and the blu-ray presentation is spectacular both visually and sonically - nominated for 12 Oscars and winner of 6, including the 'Best Picture' (see last pic below) - I've seen this musical on Broadway twice and thoroughly enjoyed - the film permits a different approach that heightens the drama and action - highly recommended for lovers of musicals.  Dave :)

Midge Kelly, hitchhiking west with lame brother Connie, is hustled unprepared into a pro boxing match. Though he's severely beaten, manager Tommy Haley finds him promising. Arrived in California, Midge and Connie find nothing but a menial job from which Midge gets relief by seducing Emma, a lovely young waitress. One shotgun marriage later, ambitious Midge falls back on the only option he knows: boxing. Seduced by cheering crowds, money, and a succession of blondes, Midge becomes more and more of a hero in public...and a heel in private.

Murderesses Velma Kelly (a chanteuse and tease who killed her husband and sister after finding them in bed together) and Roxie Hart (who killed her boyfriend when she discovered he wasn't going to make her a star) find themselves on death row together and fight for the fame that will keep them from the gallows in 1920s Chicago.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28990 on: June 15, 2019, 07:47:07 AM »
Last night we watched two films selected from the 'C' listing in my movie database - of course, 'lady's choice' so a lot of my favs skipped over:

:)

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #28991 on: June 15, 2019, 06:12:26 PM »

I just watched The Endless for the second time. No, really.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28992 on: June 16, 2019, 12:05:27 AM »
Approaching the Unknown

An interesting tale of a solitary man’s journey to Mars and the difficulties encountered along the way. Does he get there in spite of these difficulties? A good watch.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28993 on: June 16, 2019, 12:19:57 AM »

at the cinema: X-Men Dark Phoenix

Disappointing. The best stuff was in the trailer, most everything else was very clumsy. And I clearly needed to take along a real fanboy to explain how this timeline works where young characters are being killed off where they had adult versions in the earlier films - along with a bunch of other inconsistencies.

On the plus side: Sophie Turner is developing into a strong lead, and its always a treat to watch Jessica Chastain at work.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 12:22:37 AM by SimonNZ »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #28994 on: June 16, 2019, 03:55:20 AM »

Maybe Bresson’s most essential movie. The last minute moment of redemption saves it from the utter despair of Mouchette (also based on a Bernanos novel).

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #28995 on: June 16, 2019, 09:44:22 AM »
Long Gray Line, The (1955) w/ Tyrone Power, Maureen O'Hara, et al - about Martin Maher, an Irish immigrant (part of Wiki bio quoted below), who served at West Point for over 50 years - much of the film based on his autobiography - I watch this film about once a year on DVD - has not been released on BD; filmed in technicolor w/ some great parade ground music which would greatly benefit from a 'good' restoration (not on Criterion's 'coming soon' list, unfortunately).  Dave :)

Martin "Marty" Maher, Jr. (1876 – 1961) was an Irish immigrant, who joined the United States Army in 1898 and rose to the rank of master sergeant. He served as a swimming instructor at the United States Military Academy, West Point, New York, from 1899 to 1928. Maher retired from the army in 1928 and stayed at West Point as a civilian employee in the athletic department. He retired from the civil service in 1946, completing 50 years of service at West Point. Maher was named an honorary member of the classes of 1912, 1926 and 1928. His autobiography, Bringing Up The Brass: My 55 Years at West Point, co-written by Colonel Red Reeder and Nardi Reeder Campion, was published in 1951. Maher died on January 17 1961 at the age of 84 and is buried in the West Point Cemetery. (Source)

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:52:55 AM by SonicMan46 »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28996 on: June 17, 2019, 07:43:15 AM »
The Woman in Black

An entertaining story line with some very good tension.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #28997 on: June 18, 2019, 04:56:36 AM »
Susan wanted to watch the first film below and I followed up w/ an older but similar story:

Crazy Heart (2009) w/ Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Robert Duvall, & Colin Farrell - see Ebert's Review (4*/4*) for a synopsis - received 2 Oscar nominations for Jeff and Maggie - Bridges won the Best Actor Oscar, well deserved IMO for this role, and also for his other six Best Actor or Supporting Actor which he did not take home.

Tender Mercies (1983) w/ Robert Duvall, Tess Harper, Betty Buckley, Wilford Brimley, & Ellen Barkin - again, see Ebert's Review (4*/4*) for comments - Duvall, as with Bridges, did their own singing and he also won a well deserved Best Actor Oscar (and like Bridges, Duvall had six previous un-won nominations).  Both films are about aging country music singers - of the two, Tender Mercies remains my favorite.  Dave :)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 05:13:13 AM by SonicMan46 »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #28998 on: June 18, 2019, 05:01:42 AM »
Susan wanted to watch the first film below and I followed up w/ an older but similar story:

Crazy Heart (2009) w/ Jeff Bridges, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Robert Duvall, & Colin Farrell - see Ebert's Review (4*/4*) for a synopsis - received 2 Oscar nominations for Jeff and Maggie - Bridges won the Best Actor Oscar, well deserved IMO for this role, and also for his other six Best Actor or Supporting Actor which he did not take home.

Tender Mercies (1983) w/ Robert Duvall, Tess Harper, Betty Buckley, Wilford Brimley, & Ellen Barkin - again, see Ebert's Review (4*/4*) for comments - Duvall, as with Bridges, did their own singing and be also won a well deserved Best Actor Oscar (and like Bridges, Duvall had six previous un-won nominations).  Both films are about aging country music singers - of the two, Tender Mercies remains my favorite.  Dave :)

Cheers, Dave! Most interesting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28999 on: June 21, 2019, 06:45:37 AM »
Inception:

Not my first time to see this and I still do not know whether or not I like it!