Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1907588 times)

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #27300 on: February 23, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »
I'm still waiting for Schindler's List vs. The Pianist to be released.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #27301 on: February 23, 2018, 11:54:12 AM »
Not the strict topic . . . indeed, while I am planning to watch Predator (at last), I have no plans to view this . . . sequel.  But I am enjoying a review which offers such insights as “… because you don’t go to these ‘VS.’ movies, like Freddy VS. Jason, and expect Schindler’s List”;  and, “Surprisingly, this movie is not complete [merde].”

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eKViXqTcDaM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eKViXqTcDaM</a>

Earlier, I enjoyed his thoroughly disparaging review of Alien Resurrection . . . so I enjoyed his working in another dig at that movie’s expense at the end of this one.

Overall, the fact that he rates Alien VS. Predator higher than Alien Resurrection does not, ultimately, inspire me to try it out.

YMMV  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27302 on: February 23, 2018, 11:54:23 AM »

Well played, dear fellow!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
    something between my ears
« Reply #27303 on: February 23, 2018, 12:05:09 PM »
The last film l watched was, unsurprisingly, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

For the fiftieth anniversary, around six weeks from now, Warner is re-releasing the film in the 4K UHD format.

I'm hoping for a theatrical re-release as well, a la Close Encounters of the Third Kind; seeing Kubrick's masterpiece on the big screen is like nothing else in cinema, and there are bound to be many young cinephiles who would benefit.

C G C,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27304 on: February 23, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »

For the fiftieth anniversary, around six weeks from now, Warner is re-releasing the film in the 4K UHD format.

I'm hoping for a theatrical re-release as well, a la Close Encounters of the Third Kind; seeing Kubrick's masterpiece on the big screen is like nothing else in cinema, and there are bound to be many young cinephiles who would benefit.

C G C,

LKB

You know, I would go see that on the big screen, myself.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #27305 on: February 23, 2018, 12:21:29 PM »

Bravo, sir.  ;)

It's worth paying a little money, just for the opening credits...

https://youtu.be/e-QFj59PON4

Looking up,

LKB

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #27306 on: February 23, 2018, 12:53:10 PM »

I'm not sure how that would work, Holmes vs Poirot seems more feasible.

"Ah, mon ami, I've had my tisane and I will sleep and let the little grey cells do their work."

"Now, old chap, you've never heard of cocaine?"

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #27307 on: February 23, 2018, 03:57:00 PM »
Heh. I've seen AvP three or four times and consider it a good guilty pleasure. AvP:Requiem is the one you can definitely avoid.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #27308 on: February 24, 2018, 03:25:55 AM »
Bound....

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27309 on: February 24, 2018, 05:55:11 AM »
Last night:  Yojimbo (1961) and Play It Again, Sam (1972)

The latter was based on Woody Allen’s 1969 play, in which he also starred (demonstrating that he has acting chops beyond ‘mere stand-up’) together with Diane Keaton and Jerry Lacy.  Curiously, the film was directed not by Allen himself, but by Herbert Ross.  Ebert remarks that the film has a predictability which is to be expected from its B’way play origins (it opened at the Broadhurst Theatre), but which (I paraphrase, perhaps) hardly matters in a movie this funny.

SPOILER ALERT (for any to whom the movie is, erm, not yet known) The ending of the film rhymes the iconic film which is famously misquoted in the title;  my question, I guess, is how that worked on stage.  At first, I consider that it ‘might not work’;  but being in the theatre has its own sense of suspension of disbelief, and it may work just fine.

END SPOILER ALERT

It was in auditioning for the role of Linda that Keaton first met Allen.

Near the end of the first run of the play, Allen left the show and was replaced by (wait for it) Bob Denver.

Tony Roberts, so far as I can tell, plays essentially the same character all the time to a much more thorough degree than might be suggested for Allen himself;  and here he plays an utterly realistic New York business type who (in that era) went nowhere without telling his office what phone number he might be reached at.  Which (for me) makes it all the more interesting that the movie elected to relocate the action to San Francisco (the play is, of course, set in NY).  This makes climatological sense, so that there is romantic fog for the closing scene at the airport.

I see I have not said anything about Yojimbo, but I hardly need to.

Why should that stop me?

I don’t think it is merely nostalgist of me that I love the look of b-&-w film.  (Tangentially, I also watched a Twilight Zone episode last night, “And When the Sky Was Opened.”)  Curiously, and even though one could not really say that the musical materials are ‘owned’ by this or that genre . . . while listening to the lovely score (the sound a little dated, though not distractingly so, the Blu ray reproduction is sweetly sonorous) I found myself wondering if the minimalist melodic minor third (sometimes in this or that wind instrument, sometimes in . . . harpsichord!) suggested to the Wild West.  Of course, there is something of a barbaric rawness to the spare material, not specific to New Mexico Texas Almeria.

In just the same way, I expect, as I can just about equally love three perfectly different productions of Hamlet, my enjoyment of Yojimbo, Fistful of Dollars, and Last Man Standing.  Probably you expect this of a composer, but I thoroughly admire how Masaru Sato, Ennio Morricone (the pseudonym Dan Savio in the credits threw me, I admit) and Ry Cooder each created a musical environment which helped define the film.  Of Mifune, Eastwood and Willis, there is no arguing that Mifune is the strongest actor (and not merely a matter of the nature of the weapon requiring more elegant physicality);  but that does not diminish either American actor.  Again, the role in each film is an enjoyably distinct character.  Eastwood’s legendarily laconic character (which he scrabbled down through initial struggles with Leone, whose original script had much more dialogue for the part) contrasts very agreeably with Willis’s, who in the noir manner communicates mostly via voice-overs.

And here I am still not saying much about Yojimbo.  It's great!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #27310 on: February 24, 2018, 07:08:03 AM »

I'm hoping for a theatrical re-release as well
, a la Close Encounters of the Third Kind; seeing Kubrick's masterpiece on the big screen is like nothing else in cinema, and there are bound to be many young cinephiles who would benefit.

C G C,

LKB

Bravo, sir.  ;)

It's worth paying a little money, just for the opening credits...

https://youtu.be/e-QFj59PON4

Looking up,

LKB

Dudes!  I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey several times on the huge semi-wrap-around Cinerama screen: my friends and I sat toward the front (being in Row 1 was not the best: too overwhelming and slightly distorted at the edges) and received that "you-are-in-the-picture" feeling which only Cinerama could deliver.

If there are any Cinerama screens left which might show it, rush there at once: THAT is the way to see 2001 !
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #27311 on: February 24, 2018, 08:08:24 AM »
Finally got around to seeing Her after it being on my watch list for 4 years. Quite an amazing film. Beautifully told story that is also beautifully acted and shot. A premise that at times feels uncomfortable, just as it listening to the protagonist himself describing his new girlfriend to others. But after some time I found myself completely understanding of the feelings that were shared. Phoenix is understated, awkward, but totally believable in his role.

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #27312 on: February 24, 2018, 09:08:55 AM »

Dudes!  I saw 2001: A Space Odyssey several times on the huge semi-wrap-around Cinerama screen: my friends and I sat toward the front (being in Row 1 was not the best: too overwhelming and slightly distorted at the edges) and received that "you-are-in-the-picture" feeling which only Cinerama could deliver.

If there are any Cinerama screens left which might show it, rush there at once: THAT is the way to see 2001 !

I saw it for the very first time in a Cinerama theatre, during its initial release in 1968. My mind has been happily blown ever since.  :laugh:

In this day and age, the best l can hope for is that any theatrical re-release will include showings at the local Alamo Drafthouse, where l saw CE3K this past September. AD will do the film justice, so right now I'm just hoping for a theatrical announcement from Warner.

Throwing a bone at the Moon,

LKB

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #27313 on: February 24, 2018, 07:31:54 PM »
"Father, Can I lock up?" Ozu's last film: His typical, yet inimitable, (shockingly beautiful) mise en scène. Color is not lost on Ozu here. Every shot is perfect. Every detail is perfect.

Offline Draško

« Reply #27314 on: February 25, 2018, 06:36:51 AM »

Witness + Blade Runner + MASH = meh

A mute Amish bartender in futuristic Blade Runner like Berlin searches for missing girlfriend, a waitress with the secret. Gets entangled with couple of ex US army surgeons, and they all work for black Russian mobster called Maxim. Overplotted, underwhelming.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #27315 on: February 25, 2018, 07:11:22 AM »

Midnight Special.  A little bit Steven Spielberg (E.T., Close Encounters), a little bit John Carpenter (Starman), a little bit something new.  The story involves a biological father who has kidnapped his decidedly special son from his adoptive father/cult leader in order to get the boy to a specific destination at a specific time for a specific and special purpose.  The story is preposterous, but the high grade, A-ish list cast does good work.  Director John Nichols has relied on Michael Shannon in multiple films, and Shannon lends a certain inevitable weight to his role.  The climax is too goofy by half, but it's not a bad film for one viewing.  Of special note is the occasional superb use of static framing.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #27316 on: February 25, 2018, 08:07:52 AM »

Witness + Blade Runner + MASH = meh

A mute Amish bartender in futuristic Blade Runner like Berlin searches for missing girlfriend, a waitress with the secret. Gets entangled with couple of ex US army surgeons, and they all work for black Russian mobster called Maxim. Overplotted, underwhelming.

A review I read in the Wall Street Journal had basically the same reaction.

Anne of the Thousand Days with Richard Burton and Genevieve Bujold and Anthony Quayle.

I always find anything with Richard Burton rather melancholy, given that his self-destruction in real life seems always to be hovering around him.  Such a great talent ruined by his baser impulses.  I recall being really taken by a 1960's recording he did of Hamlet: simply hearing his voice put you into the character.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #27317 on: February 25, 2018, 06:56:07 PM »
Black Panther
2018 ‧ Fantasy/Science fiction film ‧ 2h 15m

After the death of his father, T'Challa returns home to the African nation of Wakanda to take his rightful place as king. When a powerful enemy suddenly reappears, T'Challa's mettle as king -- and as Black Panther -- gets tested when he's drawn into a conflict that puts the fate of Wakanda and the entire world at risk. Faced with treachery and danger, the young king must rally his allies and release the full power of Black Panther to defeat his foes and secure the safety of his people.

Action is the only truth

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #27318 on: February 26, 2018, 04:23:36 AM »
(Enjoying the irony of the signature quote, “true creation is a solitary act,” affixed to a movie review.  Probably no movie we discuss on this thread is “a solitary act.”)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #27319 on: February 26, 2018, 05:22:33 AM »
Night of the Living Dead
1968 ‧ Drama/Science fiction film ‧ 1h 37m

A disparate group of individuals takes refuge in an abandoned house when corpses begin to leave the graveyard in search of fresh human bodies to devour. The pragmatic Ben (Duane Jones) does his best to control the situation, but when the reanimated bodies surround the house, the other survivors begin to panic. As any semblance of order within the group begins to dissipate, the zombies start to find ways inside -- and one by one, the living humans become the prey of the deceased ones.

Action is the only truth