Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1948299 times)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #28140 on: September 11, 2018, 08:47:28 AM »

I will be receiving the Criterion release of The Tree of Life today in the mail!  I haven't been this excited for a Criterion in years, mostly because of the Extended version is also included. What's different about this new version of the film is that it's not just a Director's cut, or just adding scenes back into the film that were deleted for the theatrical release, but rather it's Malick re-telling the story of the O'Brian family by reworking the original footage with the additional new 50 minutes. It's also not to take the place of the theatrical version, but it seems it's to act as an alternative view of the characters and the story. I read that originally Malick wanted Criterion to allow the scenes the be played randomly so that the film was different with every viewing. And as with most of his films, Malick normally has hours of footage that are not used, resulting in characters being completely cut from the film, so it's no surprise that Tree of Life is receiving this treatment.

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #28141 on: September 12, 2018, 03:35:45 AM »
"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" on Netflix. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289403/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Nicely done, well-made, good performances, and above all, the story.  Recommended.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #28142 on: September 13, 2018, 04:31:56 PM »

I will be receiving the Criterion release of The Tree of Life today in the mail!  I haven't been this excited for a Criterion in years, mostly because of the Extended version is also included. What's different about this new version of the film is that it's not just a Director's cut, or just adding scenes back into the film that were deleted for the theatrical release, but rather it's Malick re-telling the story of the O'Brian family by reworking the original footage with the additional new 50 minutes. It's also not to take the place of the theatrical version, but it seems it's to act as an alternative view of the characters and the story. I read that originally Malick wanted Criterion to allow the scenes the be played randomly so that the film was different with every viewing. And as with most of his films, Malick normally has hours of footage that are not used, resulting in characters being completely cut from the film, so it's no surprise that Tree of Life is receiving this treatment.

I liked that movie quite a bit: somebody else did not, and would not appreciate an extra 50 minutes!

Today we saw:

Mrs. Cato found the movie unsettling, albeit funny at times: its portrayal of our solipsistic screen-and-mirror obsessed society, whose influence on children is less than benign, was right on target.  A few things rang false (e.g. Would 8th Graders really "shadow" high-school Seniors in preparation for Freshman year, rather than Freshmen?!), but in general the movie was not bad.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline JBS

• If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #28143 on: September 13, 2018, 05:46:53 PM »
I liked that movie quite a bit: somebody else did not, and would not appreciate an extra 50 minutes!

Today we saw:

Mrs. Cato found the movie unsettling, albeit funny at times: its portrayal of our solipsistic screen-and-mirror obsessed society, whose influence on children is less than benign, was right on target.  A few things rang false (e.g. Would 8th Graders really "shadow" high-school Seniors in preparation for Freshman year, rather than Freshmen?!), but in general the movie was not bad.

Of course they would. Seniors have always been way cooler than freshman, even before way cooler was a slang expression.
Also, presumably, seniors have learned the necessary survival tools that freshman still need to learn.

Stranahan House Ft Lauderdale Fl

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28144 on: September 13, 2018, 06:08:03 PM »

Do you know if they've done or are planning to do the same for The  New World?

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #28145 on: September 13, 2018, 06:23:37 PM »
Do you know if they've done or are planning to do the same for The  New World?

Criterion released this in 2016, Simon.

DIRECTOR-APPROVED BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New 4K digital restoration of the 172-minute extended cut of the film, supervised by cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki and director Terrence Malick and featuring material not released in theaters, with both theatrical and near-field 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks
- High-definition digital transfers of the 150-minute first cut and the 135-minute theatrical cut of the film, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks
- New interviews with actors Colin Farrell and Q orianka Kilcher
- New program about the making of the film, featuring interviews with producer Sarah Green, production designer Jack Fisk, and costume designer Jacqueline West
- Making The New World, a documentary shot during the production of the film in 2004, directed and edited by Austin Jack Lynch
- New program about the process of cutting The New World and its various versions, featuring interviews with editors Hank Corwin, Saar Klein, and Mark Yoshikawa
- Trailers
- PLUS: A book featuring an essay by film scholar Tom Gunning, a 2006 interview with Lubezki from American Cinematographer, and a selection of materials that inspired the production

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28146 on: September 13, 2018, 08:18:54 PM »
Aha. Thanks for the info. I'll have to treat myself to that when I'm back in funds again.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28147 on: September 14, 2018, 08:00:32 AM »
Equity

A reasonably good one from the cut and thrust world of high finance.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline -abe-

• Veteran member
« Reply #28148 on: September 14, 2018, 12:56:01 PM »
Well, I didn't see Spike Lee's latest movie, but I do recall in 2002 seeing in theaters his post-911 film "25th Hour" which I regard as one of the best films of this era. The plot concerns the last day in the life of a drug dealer in New York (played by Edward Norton) before he heads to jail for his criminal activity. It's set in New York in the months after 9/11, so it also manages to be a documentary of the atmosphere of that time and place.

Roger Ebert was fond of quoting a line by some director that a "good film has three good scenes and no bad ones." How true of 25th Hour. Below is one of its three "good scenes," noted by critics at the time of release, wherein the main character rants about various aspects of New York City in a way that only someone who belongs to that city could. Supposedly the screenwriter (who wrote the source novel) wanted to leave this scene out of the screenplay but Spike Lee insisted on its inclusion.  8)

I LOVE rhapsodic sequences like this! (nsfw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgL_5QcZCMo
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:58:09 PM by -abe- »

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #28149 on: September 14, 2018, 02:48:17 PM »
Just now, for the second time, Jacob's Ladder. Intense, disorienting, magnificent.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #28150 on: September 14, 2018, 04:11:26 PM »
Of course they would. Seniors have always been way cooler than freshman, even before way cooler was a slang expression.
Also, presumably, seniors have learned the necessary survival tools that freshman still need to learn.

I suppose somewhere there are high schools which have done that.  In my experience, both with Catholic and public high schools, Freshmen - and if possible Freshmen from the same schools as the 8th Grade visitors with whom they have some previous connection or acquaintance - are paired with the visitors.

Anyway, an unsettling view of how the next generation has their reality mediated by screens of all sizes.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:13:16 PM by Cato »
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #28151 on: September 14, 2018, 05:43:55 PM »
Well, I didn't see Spike Lee's latest movie, but I do recall in 2002 seeing in theaters his post-911 film "25th Hour" which I regard as one of the best films of this era. The plot concerns the last day in the life of a drug dealer in New York (played by Edward Norton) before he heads to jail for his criminal activity. It's set in New York in the months after 9/11, so it also manages to be a documentary of the atmosphere of that time and place.

Roger Ebert was fond of quoting a line by some director that a "good film has three good scenes and no bad ones." How true of 25th Hour. Below is one of its three "good scenes," noted by critics at the time of release, wherein the main character rants about various aspects of New York City in a way that only someone who belongs to that city could. Supposedly the screenwriter (who wrote the source novel) wanted to leave this scene out of the screenplay but Spike Lee insisted on its inclusion.  8)

I LOVE rhapsodic sequences like this! (nsfw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgL_5QcZCMo

That quote is from Howard Hawks.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline -abe-

• Veteran member
« Reply #28152 on: September 15, 2018, 01:41:38 AM »
Thanks! Only seen The Big Sleep which I adored (and remember being somewhat convoluted.)

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #28153 on: September 15, 2018, 06:37:00 AM »
Thanks! Only seen The Big Sleep which I adored (and remember being somewhat convoluted.)
Lots of great Hawks movies, especially from around 1940. Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, Ball Of Fire are my favourites
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #28154 on: September 15, 2018, 07:24:46 AM »
Tully (2018) w/ Charlize Theron, Mackenzie Davis, et al - short synopsis below - ratings: 7/10, IMDB; 86% (critics), Rotten Tomatoes; 3.5/5, Amazon - described as a 'comedy' on Rotten Tomatoes, but a take on postpartum depression - streamed from Amazon last night - slow for us and just OK - I'd agree w/ the overall Amazon rating, i.e. 3 1/2/5 - watch at your own risk - spoiler in this Wiki LINK, for those interested.  Dave :)

The film is about Marlo, a mother of three, including a newborn. Marlo's brother gives her a night nanny as a gift. Hesitant with the extravagance at first, Marlo comes to form a unique bond with the thoughtful, surprising, and sometimes challenging young nanny named Tully.

Offline Draško

« Reply #28155 on: September 15, 2018, 02:57:01 PM »

Yes the dialogue is vapid and the characters are one and a half dimensional at best, but I still like the film far more than the critics and the ratings would have me do. It's visually incredibly beautiful, in best Michael Mann fashion. And the melancholy hazy tone is just perfect. It's all just mood and motion. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 03:02:10 PM by Draško »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #28156 on: September 15, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »
Well, I watched Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull again tonight, and (as I perceive it was designed) I find it great fun, and a thoroughly creditable addition to the "franchise."  All the improbabilities, here and there, are inherent to the boy's-adventure comic book world the stories are partly rooted in. All in all, comparing Indiana Jones with Star Wars, I consider the former the greater, much more consistent success.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28157 on: September 15, 2018, 04:44:36 PM »
Is that the one where he survives an atomic blast at ground zero by hiding in a refrigerator? That was a dealbreaker for me.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #28158 on: September 16, 2018, 02:18:20 AM »
Is that the one where he survives an atomic blast at ground zero by hiding in a refrigerator? That was a dealbreaker for me.

It is, and while I cannot say you're wrong, fact-checking comic books is the sort of work there'd be no end to  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online Alberich

• Veteran member
  • Huge fan of 19th and 20th century art.
« Reply #28159 on: September 16, 2018, 02:20:24 AM »
In a movie franchise where a bunch of ghosts kills the villains, the protagonists survive a jump from the plane on a raft, or having a knight several hundreds of years old still alive and kicking, due to the healing power of the Grail... surviving a nuclear blast is really nothing exceptional.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo