Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 1907340 times)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #28240 on: October 07, 2018, 04:49:12 AM »

Good fun is hard to come by: This is a noir spoof, so no surprises as to plot. But...surprising laughs and surprisingly exceeded expectations.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28241 on: October 07, 2018, 05:30:35 AM »
Nurse Betty

If you suspend disbelief this can be entertaining with good performances throughout.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #28242 on: October 07, 2018, 06:18:54 AM »

The Shape of Water.  Mute chick falls in love with, and fucks, the creature from the black lagoon in this mash-up of Splash and Bridge of Spies.  (Yeah, yeah, I get it, the movie explores multiple very deep themes in an at times metaphorical way, and blah, blah, blah.)  Were it not for Michael Shannon's menacing presence, the film would be nothing but a gorgeous looking steaming pile.  This movie confirms two things for me: 1.) I am sick of movies that so blatantly pay homage to Hollywood's "Golden Age", and 2.) Guillermo del Toro is not a particularly good director.  Pan's Labyrinth is the exception, not the rule. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #28243 on: October 07, 2018, 07:53:37 AM »

The Shape of Water.  Mute chick falls in love with, and fucks, the creature from the black lagoon in this mash-up of Splash and Bridge of Spies.  (Yeah, yeah, I get it, the movie explores multiple very deep themes in an at times metaphorical way, and blah, blah, blah.)  Were it not for Michael Shannon's menacing presence, the film would be nothing but a gorgeous looking steaming pile.  This movie confirms two things for me: 1.) I am sick of movies that so blatantly pay homage to Hollywood's "Golden Age", and 2.) Guillermo del Toro is not a particularly good director.  Pan's Labyrinth is the exception, not the rule.

Earlier this year, we streamed the film on Amazon - agree w/ your comments - not impressed and shocked that the production was nominated for 13 Academy Awards and won 4 Oscars, including Best Picture & Best Director!  ???  Dave

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #28244 on: October 07, 2018, 08:09:28 AM »
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) w/ Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, et al - streamed last night from Amazon (short synopsis quoted below) - a sequel to Jurassic World (2015) w/ the same main actors and a film that I did enjoy - neither of these productions received great reviews, but I was disappointed in this follow-up - ratings: 6.3/10, IMDB; 49%, Rotten Tomatoes; 3.6/5, Amazon w/ 34% 1* & 2* only - I'd have to agree, i.e. 2.5* on Amazon if I could vote fractions, otherwise 3* - neutral recommendation unless a fan of the first film or if you enjoy looking at Opie's daughter, which does not bother me at all - :)  Dave

Three years after the destruction of the Jurassic World theme park, Owen Grady and Claire Dearing return to the island of Isla Nublar to save the remaining dinosaurs from a volcano that's about to erupt. They soon encounter terrifying new breeds of gigantic dinosaurs, while uncovering a conspiracy that threatens the entire planet.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #28245 on: October 07, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »
Earlier this year, we streamed the film on Amazon - agree w/ your comments - not impressed and shocked that the production was nominated for 13 Academy Awards and won 4 Oscars, including Best Picture & Best Director!  ???  Dave

I am only shocked when something I like wins.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #28246 on: October 07, 2018, 06:18:17 PM »
Guillermo del Toro is not a particularly good director.  Pan's Labyrinth is the exception, not the rule.

I'd add The Devil's Backbone

Admit that I also enjoyed Cronos.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #28247 on: October 08, 2018, 03:27:45 AM »
I'd add The Devil's Backbone

Admit that I also enjoyed Cronos.

And Cronos enjoys the allowances one makes for an initial effort.  I would add Mimic.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #28248 on: October 08, 2018, 03:28:43 AM »
And Cronos enjoys the allowances one makes for an initial effort.  I would add Mimic.

IOW, restricting his directorial success to Pan's Labyrinth is (most charitably) blinkered.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #28249 on: October 08, 2018, 04:06:17 AM »

Most of the men cannot sing, a good number of the songs are clumsy - with typical Broadway "chatter a bunch of words for plot and character development on one note" stiltedness - and predictable, and the orchestrations are tinny.  Yet it is a decent movie, because the three leads (William Daniels, Ken Howard, and Howard Da Silva) make you believe that they are singing versions of John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin.

I do NOT recommend the "extended version."  Old-time movie mogul Jack Warner (of Warner Brothers) was the producer, and he cut certain songs and scenes to bring the movie down to a more reasonable length.  He also put the credits last, because none of the stars were known outside of Broadway: People will just be asking: "Who the heck is William Daniels?"   8)  I think he was right with his edits.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #28250 on: October 08, 2018, 06:00:32 AM »
And all the more embarassing to post here,in the same thread as les enfants du paradis! ::) :-[ ;D I like those old movie series,too! I do watch some more highbrow movies,though. Thanks to my 86 year old father,to some degree. In the last five to six years,or so,I have bought dvd's of Max Ophüls,La Ronde and Le Plaisir,Clouzot's The Wages of Fear,and most recently,Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast and  Orphée,for him to watch;because he saw them in the cinema,with a friend,when he was young (except Le plaisir). I have enjoyed them all! He hadn't heard of Cliffhanger serials. I don't think his friend would have wanted to take him to those?! Maybe,in disguise?!! ;D  I have also bought a few French films that interested me. And I like Fellini! I don't think my father would want to watch my collection of 50's (and some.60's) sci-fi,though?!!
If you are interested,at all;Drums of Fu Manchu is pure boys own paper,with gadgets galore and Henry Brandon relishing his role as,probably,the best Fu Manchu ever. It's,by far,the least repetitious and most varied serial I have seen,to date. The VCI print is pretty good. I had no issue with it. I also found Jungle girl very entertaining. Like the Drums of Fu Manchu,it is a Republic serial. They were regarded as the finest producers of serials;and like the Fu Manchu (and Daredevils of the Red Circle) it is directed by William Whitney and John English,who are regarded as the finest directors of serials,ever. Some of the cliffhanger set pieces are very excitingly paced,and,the influence on Indiana Jones is obvious. One of them involving the hero and heroine being shoved into a chamber,with the floor sliding away to reveal a seemingly bottomless drop into darkness,below. The print from VCI is excellent. You have to make sure it's dvd's,though. VCI sold some sets as dvd-r's. The one I bought recently from a US seller was a dvd set,thank goodness!

Thanks for the info. :) I'll make time to have a look at Drums of Fu Manchu at least. But a quick look at the VCI site was interesting as far as what's available is concerned. And Jungle Girl was Frances Gifford? - I remember her in The Glass Key with Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake.  8)
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #28251 on: October 08, 2018, 08:23:38 AM »

And Jungle Girl was Frances Gifford? - I remember her in The Glass Key with Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake8)

Also a highly recommended movie!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #28252 on: October 08, 2018, 12:38:22 PM »
Also a highly recommended movie!

Thought that I had seen nearly all of Veronica Lake's films, but do not remember watching The Glass Key - have always liked Alan Ladd in these early roles - available for sale on Amazon & TCM, but $18 so will not be a purchase - will keep an eye on the TCM schedule and hope for an appearance (not being streamed on Amazon).  Thanks all for the recommendation - Dave :)

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #28253 on: October 08, 2018, 11:56:54 PM »
Revenge (2017)

A stylishly filmed and very bloody exploitation film.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #28254 on: October 10, 2018, 07:17:33 PM »
Two films noir

Out Of The Past
Robert Mitchum, Kirk Douglas, Jane Greer, 1947
Directed by Jacques Tourneur

Seen this one before of course. One of the classic noirs. Full 10/10.

The Outfit
Robert Duvall, 1973

Jane Greer has a bit part, as do several staples of noir: Marie Windsor, Elisha Cook, Robert Ryan.
One of several movies based on Richard Stark 's Parker novels, and one of the best. The weak link is Duvall. Contrast to the echt Parker, Lee Marvin in Point Blank. Still a tidy little thriller. 7/10
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28255 on: October 11, 2018, 06:20:53 AM »
Our Brand is Crisis

I enjoyed this film about the background of a presidential election. Set in Bolivia it is more about how the campaign is fought and won as opposed to the economic and social issues at stake - a universal theme, irrespective of place. The intrigues of the various “handlers/advisors” are very watchable and revealing.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline stingo

« Reply #28256 on: October 11, 2018, 08:09:54 PM »
with typical Broadway "chatter a bunch of words for plot and character development on one note" stiltedness - and predictable

I think at least some of the dialogue was from the historical correspondence. When I read Ron Chernow's biography of Washington, I had to smile when I came across one of the dispatches read in the film.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #28257 on: October 13, 2018, 06:10:12 AM »

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri.  A much lauded flick, yet as I watched, I really didn't care at all about any of the main characters since they are all ultimately unlikable and unrealistic, or at least decidedly unlike real people I've met in real life.  The movie looks good and the main actors all do good work, but I expected much more.  Meh.

Online SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28258 on: October 13, 2018, 01:20:23 PM »

second watch for me, first for my friend

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #28259 on: October 14, 2018, 06:19:19 AM »

Blockers.  A more or less routine, vulgar sex comedy, though this time it's about young girls who want to get laid.  (How very shocking!)  And yes, their parents want to stop the shenanigans.  Formulaic, but decent enough for one viewing.  Such films rely on decent gags and game actors, and here John Cena offers the most laughs, as he did in one of Amy Schumer's mediocrities.  Also, the always lovely Leslie Mann lightens up on the bitch shtick, to good effect.