Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 2102773 times)

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Fernand Léger: Nature morte aux fruits
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #28540 on: January 11, 2019, 12:24:42 PM »

I was looking forward to this, given the fact that a (AFAIK) prestigious physicist acted as a consultant on the science aspects of the production. Unfortunately, the result is simply melodramatic snd pretentious, and plain silly. A complete waste of time.
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et avec le fer de sa houe il cassa la glace
De la source ou jadis riaient les naïades... »

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #28541 on: January 11, 2019, 12:52:46 PM »

As with the director's earlier Beyond The Black Rainbow I find much to admire, especially visually, but a few missteps that stop it from being truly great. Here they should have used Andrea Riseborough more - should have even rewritten the script once they'd seen how she inhabited her role with an unknowable mystery and magnetism. Without her its just a Nichols Cage revenge vehicle, if a visually striking and inventive one.

Mandy is all style, no substance. I do agree with you about Andrea Riseborough, she's an excellent actress, and had a much better role in Death of Stalin.

Offline lisa needs braces

• Veteran member
« Reply #28542 on: January 11, 2019, 01:54:03 PM »
My favorite action scene from a movie in the past 15 years...the choreography, the music, the women...so good...film should have won the oscar for best pic...yes I'm still gushing about mad max fury road...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HClM8YvNljo

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #28543 on: January 11, 2019, 03:03:20 PM »
My favorite action scene from a movie in the past 15 years...the choreography, the music, the women...so good...film should have won the oscar for best pic...yes I'm still gushing about mad max fury road...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HClM8YvNljo

Hell Yeah! This is still in my top ten of the 2010s.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #28544 on: January 11, 2019, 03:29:46 PM »
On The Basis of Sex w/ Felicity Jones, Armie Hammer, et al - today on the big screen - bioptic of the young Ruth Bader Ginsburg; ratings have been mixed - 5.7/10, IMDB and 71%, RottenTomatoes - Jones NYC accent not bad for an English gal - slow at times, but we enjoyed, however, like the recent doc on Ginsburg better - I'd probably do a 3 1/2*/5* rating on Amazon - recommended if a fan.  Dave :)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28545 on: January 11, 2019, 11:17:54 PM »

Not an essential or even entirely successful Mike Leigh, overemphasising the comedic elements at the expense of the dramatic, but a strong performance from Jane Horricks

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #28546 on: January 12, 2019, 07:07:14 AM »

Bird Box.  Mix together some A-list talent, a high concept story, and a medium budget, and one gets a B-film that is about as scary as a Vincent Price movie and about as thought provoking as a Michael Bay movie.  The three things that stand out, aside from the fact that Sandra Bullock somehow manages to look better now than she did twenty years ago, are John Malkovich's scene chewing (always a treat), the almost impossibly adorable children, and Pruitt Taylor Vince's small role.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #28547 on: January 12, 2019, 01:47:56 PM »

Bird Box.  Mix together some A-list talent, a high concept story, and a medium budget, and one gets a B-film that is about as scary as a Vincent Price movie and about as thought provoking as a Michael Bay movie.  The three things that stand out, aside from the fact that Sandra Bullock somehow manages to look better now than she did twenty years ago, are John Malkovich's scene chewing (always a treat), the almost impossibly adorable children, and Pruitt Taylor Vince's small role.

I keep wondering whether the fact that this has come out so soon after A Quiet Place (which I haven't seen, but which has had considerably better reviews) is just wild coincidence.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #28548 on: January 12, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »
I keep wondering whether the fact that this has come out so soon after A Quiet Place (which I haven't seen, but which has had considerably better reviews) is just wild coincidence.

Every once in a while, Hollywood releases similarly themed films close together - eg, Armageddon and Deep Impact - and TV networks air similarly themed "reality" shows.  This is likely one of those types of things.  This movie is based on a novel, and I'm not sure if A Quiet Place is.  I will not be finding out.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

• Veteran member
« Reply #28549 on: January 12, 2019, 09:15:54 PM »
How in the world did I miss this movie all these years?

No Way Out, 1987

What a thriller. Is this Will Patton's greatest role? He steals scenes from Gene Hackman!

I finally get the joke I've been hearing for years about the "Georgetown metro station" that's featured in the film (there is no such thing.)  ;D

• Veteran member
« Reply #28550 on: January 12, 2019, 09:19:37 PM »
Actress Sean Young at her prime is splendid and gorgous in that movie. Also briefly appearing in the film: Super-model Iman.

Of course the leads are good (Kevin Costner and Gene Hackman.) I think it may have been Costner's first "leading man" role.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #28551 on: January 12, 2019, 09:41:57 PM »
Actress Sean Young at her prime is splendid and gorgous in that movie. Also briefly appearing in the film: Super-model Iman.

Of course the leads are good (Kevin Costner and Gene Hackman.) I think it may have been Costner's first "leading man" role.

Boy, cannot remember if I've seen that Costner film - will need to watch on Amazon Prime - but was curious about the comment above and took a look on IMDB - looks like 'No Way Out' is sandwiched between two other excellent films, both of which I own.  Dave :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #28552 on: January 12, 2019, 10:20:30 PM »
Boy, cannot remember if I've seen that Costner film - will need to watch on Amazon Prime - but was curious about the comment above and took a look on IMDB - looks like 'No Way Out' is sandwiched between two other excellent films, both of which I own.  Dave :)

A review I came across mentioned that it's a remake (in a DC/pentagon setting) of a late 40s film titled The Big Clock.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040160/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_7

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28553 on: January 13, 2019, 01:59:16 AM »
Snatch

I have watched this film many times over the years and it is still one of the most entertaining films that I know.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #28554 on: January 13, 2019, 03:33:13 AM »
How in the world did I miss this movie all these years?

No Way Out, 1987

An old favourite of mine. You're making me want to pull out the DVD. It's crazy. But it's a very fun form of crazy.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #28555 on: January 13, 2019, 06:58:27 AM »
Snatch

I have watched this film many times over the years and it is still one of the most entertaining films that I know.

I enjoyed it, but its predecessor, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrells, is the one that blows me away. I assume you have seen it?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28556 on: January 13, 2019, 07:15:10 AM »

I enjoyed it, but its predecessor, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrells, is the one that blows me away. I assume you have seen it?

Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels

I do not know how many times I have seen this film but I watched it again last night. I always enjoy it.

Last viewing was Jan. 5th 2019  8)

Two great films which I always watch in close proximity to each other.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #28557 on: January 13, 2019, 09:10:47 AM »
imo Rocknrolla doesn't get the love it deserves, and for my money is even better than those two, much as I like them as well

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #28558 on: January 13, 2019, 09:45:39 AM »
imo Rocknrolla doesn't get the love it deserves, and for my money is even better than those two, much as I like them as well

I have never seen Rocknrolla. I must watch out for it.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #28559 on: January 13, 2019, 10:32:23 AM »

Last viewing was Jan. 5th 2019  8)

Two great films which I always watch in close proximity to each other.

Gotcha!  8)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure