FEATURED BOXED SETS - Click to see details on Amazon. All sales from these links support your forum.

Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 807285 times)

spooky and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #13680 on: April 20, 2012, 05:17:59 AM »
Because of Archer, my girlfriend has the hots for H Jon Benjamin, despite seeing what he looks like in real life. Looks like I'm the . . . Danger Zone!

;D :D ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
    • Monotonous Forest
« Reply #13681 on: April 20, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »
Max Ophuls: Le Plaisir (1952) - Great cast in script created from three intertwining stories by Guy de Maupassant. But the real star is Ophuls's camera (cinematography by Philippe Agostini and Christian Matras), roaming through the houses and streets of 19th-century Paris with grace and imagination--it's like music.

--Bruce
No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible.
     ~ W. H. Auden

Monotonous Forest

Twitter: @brucehodgesny

Offline Drasko

• Veteran member
« Reply #13682 on: April 21, 2012, 01:04:15 AM »
Max Ophuls: Le Plaisir (1952) - Great cast in script created from three intertwining stories by Guy de Maupassant. But the real star is Ophuls's camera (cinematography by Philippe Agostini and Christian Matras), roaming through the houses and streets of 19th-century Paris with grace and imagination--it's like music.

--Bruce

Big thumbs up!! It's one of my all time favorite movies. That second story is pure cinematic magic, the sunlight in the church, the genius way he shoots the dealings in brothel voyeurishly only from outside through the windows, and generally how he captures de Maupassant's tone. Utterly wonderful.
Bruce, have you seen Ophuls' The Earrings of Madame de ... ? If not, you simply have to.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 01:11:35 AM by Drasko »
de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

« Reply #13683 on: April 21, 2012, 05:09:17 AM »
A very entertaining film, and well made too. Keeps you glued to the screen.

« Reply #13684 on: April 21, 2012, 05:13:27 AM »
And during running this one, a delightful movie.

« Reply #13685 on: April 21, 2012, 05:14:48 AM »
And in the evening this fabulous film, which I saw many times, and still makes a huge impression on me.

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
    • Monotonous Forest
« Reply #13686 on: April 21, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
Big thumbs up!! It's one of my all time favorite movies. That second story is pure cinematic magic, the sunlight in the church, the genius way he shoots the dealings in brothel voyeurishly only from outside through the windows, and generally how he captures de Maupassant's tone. Utterly wonderful.
Bruce, have you seen Ophuls' The Earrings of Madame de ... ? If not, you simply have to.

I can easily see why Le Plaisir would be a favorite! It may become one of mine, once the initial viewing wears off. Right now I'm in the sort of "stunned at how good it is" phase. Will have to see it again, now that I know what to expect (e.g., to examine the camera work more closely). Totally agree with everything you say about the film.

I haven't seen The Earrings of Madame de ... --it's been on my "to see" list for years, along with La Ronde. But this viewing of Le Plaisir may spur me to have a little Ophuls-fest.

--Bruce
No good opera plot can be sensible, for people do not sing when they are feeling sensible.
     ~ W. H. Auden

Monotonous Forest

Twitter: @brucehodgesny

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #13687 on: April 21, 2012, 04:54:30 PM »
Just saw Jn Cleese get knocked off by a pair of clowns in “Look — (Stop Me If You've Heard This One) — But There Were These Two Fellers...” from the last season of The Avengers. (Or, last season of The original Avengers.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://henningmusick.blogspot.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Drasko

• Veteran member
« Reply #13688 on: April 22, 2012, 07:52:17 AM »
I haven't seen The Earrings of Madame de ... --it's been on my "to see" list for years, along with La Ronde. But this viewing of Le Plaisir may spur me to have a little Ophuls-fest.

--Bruce

Resounding Yes to the Ophuls-fest! Earrings is fantastic film, all three leads: Darrieux, De Sica and Boyer are pitch perfect, and I'm certain you'll love the waltz scene, another instance of Ophulsian fluid magic.

I'm bit less fond of Le Ronde, it's still wonderful but probably because of its construction I see too many wheels turning.

de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #13689 on: April 22, 2012, 08:00:32 AM »

Super slick and visually nifty, but completely pointless, with one of the weakest movie villains I've seen.  At least Paula Patton is smokin' hot.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

DavidW

« Reply #13690 on: April 22, 2012, 08:30:31 AM »
At least Paula Patton is smokin' hot.

For me it was Lea Seydoux who was so beautiful that everytime she was on screen I forgot what the movie was about.  She looks like a princess and not an assassin! :D

I liked MI 4, I thought it was much better than 2 or 3.  I agree that the villain is pretty weak, but he is better than Philip Seymour Hoffman's character in 3.

DavidW

« Reply #13691 on: April 22, 2012, 08:37:36 AM »

I've been watching Once Upon A Time and I'm hooked.  The Lost writers are using a narrative structure similar to Lost (flashbacks to reveal characters and backstory) but are doing a much better job of it so that you feel that there are two stories being told that are independent but deeply connected (there is a curse that causes the characters of legend to live in the normal world without magic, and they don't remember who they were, the tv show goes back and forth between current time and the past before the curse).  Really like the characters, most especially Rumpelstiltskin who is fiendishly evil, devious, he always seems to be three steps ahead of everyone including the Evil Queen.

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #13692 on: April 22, 2012, 09:00:21 AM »
Aye, Rumpelstiltskin was the über-stinker! There's a great Fractured Fairy-Tale featuring him.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Online Brian

• Veteran member
  • Street mural, San Juan La Laguna, Guatemala
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #13693 on: April 22, 2012, 10:05:18 AM »
Sarge, DavidW, George,

Glad to see some love for Archer. I've never seen it, but it keeps coming up from people whose taste in comedy I trust, which means I really need to try it. Plus, I'm addicted to Jessica Walter. A-coodle-oodle-oo, a-coodle-oodle-oo!

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #13694 on: April 22, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »
Sarge, DavidW, George,

Glad to see some love for Archer. I've never seen it, but it keeps coming up from people whose taste in comedy I trust, which means I really need to try it. Plus, I'm addicted to Jessica Walter. A-coodle-oodle-oo, a-coodle-oodle-oo!

You need to start with the first season, first episode. Don't just jump in at random.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline George

• Veteran member
« Reply #13695 on: April 22, 2012, 12:02:29 PM »
Sarge, DavidW, George,

;D
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Online Brian

• Veteran member
  • Street mural, San Juan La Laguna, Guatemala
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #13696 on: April 22, 2012, 01:07:42 PM »
You need to start with the first season, first episode. Don't just jump in at random.

Sarge

Thanks. Honestly, I'm not really sure how many high-quality shows there are on TV now that you could just jump in to at random. Even sitcoms (Parks and Rec, How I Met Your Mother) are increasingly serialized or self-referential...

;D

Coo-coo-ca-CHAW! Coo-coo-ca-CHAW!

Offline George

• Veteran member
« Reply #13697 on: April 22, 2012, 01:33:33 PM »
Thanks. Honestly, I'm not really sure how many high-quality shows there are on TV now that you could just jump in to at random. Even sitcoms (Parks and Rec, How I Met Your Mother) are increasingly serialized or self-referential...

Coo-coo-ca-CHAW! Coo-coo-ca-CHAW!

Archer's got three actors from Arrested Development, Walters, Tambor and Greer. And the always superlative H. Jon Benjamin.

Tambor's new show Bent, on the other hand, is crap.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline karlhenning

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #13698 on: April 23, 2012, 02:08:10 AM »
“All Done With Mirrors” from the Tara King season of The Avengers.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #13699 on: April 23, 2012, 06:14:48 AM »

I've been watching Once Upon A Time and I'm hooked.  The Lost writers are using a narrative structure similar to Lost (flashbacks to reveal characters and backstory) but are doing a much better job of it so that you feel that there are two stories being told that are independent but deeply connected (there is a curse that causes the characters of legend to live in the normal world without magic, and they don't remember who they were, the tv show goes back and forth between current time and the past before the curse).  Really like the characters, most especially Rumpelstiltskin who is fiendishly evil, devious, he always seems to be three steps ahead of everyone including the Evil Queen.

Yes, a very nice concept.  A somewhat parallel series on now is Grimm which I find less intriguing.

Yesterday we finished the final season of "24"

It will be interesting to see how Jack Bauer is brought back, and rehabilitated, for the "24" movie.

Linguistic note: in German, the "Jack" in a deck of cards is the Bauer.  (Farmer or peasant)
"Soldiers and spies, teachers and poets are the most under-appreciated people in the world!"

Nicholas Bishop as "McQuade" on Covert Affairs.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK