FEATURED BOXED SETS - Click to see details on Amazon. All sales from these links support your forum.

Author Topic: Classical Music Reviews - magazines & online sources  (Read 15562 times)

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Leoš Janáček, Bohuslav Martinů
Re: Classical Music Reviews - magazines & online sources
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2012, 02:39:40 AM »
How accurate does everyone find the classical music review section on the NPR Music website? I'm still learning the ropes when it comes to purchasing classical music (well, as a more discriminating consumer and not just buying box sets from the bargain bins!).

I have no idea of NPR, but I recommend asking here on the 'Recordings you are considering' thread (and searching for earlier discussions), and reading Amazon reviews, although most of them are worthless, some are very knowledgeable reviewers (it's awful if Giordano Bruno quit permanently).
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

Zizekian

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 04:35:55 AM »
I have no idea of NPR, but I recommend asking here on the 'Recordings you are considering' thread (and searching for earlier discussions), and reading Amazon reviews, although most of them are worthless, some are very knowledgeable reviewers (it's awful if Giordano Bruno quit permanently).

Thanks!

eyeresist

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »
How accurate does everyone find the classical music review section on the NPR Music website? I'm still learning the ropes when it comes to purchasing classical music (well, as a more discriminating consumer and not just buying box sets from the bargain bins!).

I don't know that "accuracy" enters into the matter, beyond getting the name of the piece right and being able to tell if the musicians are in tune. The rest is a matter of personal taste, so the trick is to find critics whose taste complements your own.

Offline jlaurson

• Veteran member
    • ionarts
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2012, 01:07:44 AM »
I don't know that "accuracy" enters into the matter, beyond getting the name of the piece right and being able to tell if the musicians are in tune. The rest is a matter of personal taste, so the trick is to find critics whose taste complements your own.

That's not quite right, I hope. A good critic is one where you don't need his or her tastes to complement your own to a.) enjoy reading a review (super-rare, because most of the writing is at such a low level) and b.) gain enough information, objective and subjective reaction, to begin form an opinion of your own. Think - in live reviews - of what Martin Bernheimer can do.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:49:30 AM by jlaurson »

Offline Beale

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2012, 03:42:48 AM »
I don't believe this site has been mentioned previously: The Flying Inkpot Classical Music ( http://www.flyinginkpot.com/ )

There are some useful reviews and commentaries on the classical music scenes by writers from Singapore.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK