Author Topic: The Snowshoed Sibelius  (Read 167485 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: The Snowshoed Sibelius
« Reply #2340 on: January 28, 2017, 03:15:13 AM »
I was fortunate to turn on the radio this morning as I was cooking my porridge (am sure you wanted to know that) just in time to hear BBC Radio 3's 'Building a Library' on Sibelius's 'Tapiola' which is my favourite work by the composer. If you have access to the BBC Radio 3 'Record Review' website you can read the details there or download the programme in the UK I guess. They liked the Sarasate recording but here is the No.1 choice:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #2341 on: January 28, 2017, 03:30:28 AM »
I was fortunate to turn on the radio this morning as I was cooking my porridge (am sure you wanted to know that) just in time to hear BBC Radio 3's 'Building a Library' on Sibelius's 'Tapiola' which is my favourite work by the composer. If you have access to the BBC Radio 3 'Record Review' website you can read the details there or download the programme in the UK I guess. They liked the Sarasate recording but here is the No.1 choice:
Pablo recorded it? Or do you perhaps mean Jukka-Pekka Saraste? ;)
It's one of my favourite works too, my preferred recordings are by Berglund & Helsinki Philharmonic and Vänskä & Sinfonia Lahti - both keep the tempi close to the composer's wishes (and to Kajanus's recording), at a bit under 18 minutes.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2342 on: January 28, 2017, 04:33:03 AM »
Pablo recorded it? Or do you perhaps mean Jukka-Pekka Saraste? ;)
It's one of my favourite works too, my preferred recordings are by Berglund & Helsinki Philharmonic and Vänskä & Sinfonia Lahti - both keep the tempi close to the composer's wishes (and to Kajanus's recording), at a bit under 18 minutes.
I think it was Jukka-Pekka but will check later. They liked  Kajanus, Beecham and Berglund too - can't remember which versions. I like Gibson but wasn't mentioned.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Online North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #2343 on: January 28, 2017, 04:51:16 AM »
I think it was Jukka-Pekka but will check later.
I'm sure it's this one.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Steven Wilson (1967 -)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Steve Hackett, Anathema, Rush, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Björk, David Sylvian, Peter Gabriel
« Reply #2344 on: January 28, 2017, 06:34:56 AM »

Segerstam, Vanska, and Berglund are my dudes when it comes to Sibelius. I have yet to find anyone that matches them in terms of interpretation and overall understanding of the composer.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #2345 on: January 28, 2017, 10:52:41 AM »
I worry though, that one day he will trip over his beard.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2346 on: January 28, 2017, 11:19:07 AM »
I'm sure it's this one.

That is an excellent CD.

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #2347 on: April 17, 2017, 01:59:30 AM »
I feel a need to talk about the 6th symphony. No, about the context of the 6th symphony.

I have a sense of revelation from an exercise I've been carrying out, listening to Sibelius' orchestral works chronologically and in particular using the fairly extensive information about premiere performances on the sibelius.fi website.

Because the works that come just before/with the 6th symphony are some of Sibelius' lightest, most delicate works. Here's the stuff I'm talking about.

1. Autrefois, op.96b - premiere was in 1919, included in the concert when the symphony premiered.
2. Valse Lyrique, op.96a - originally for piano, orchestral version premiered in 1922
3. Suite Mignonne, op.98a - premiered in 1922 with the valse.
4. Valse Chevaleresque, op.96c - originally for piano, orchestral version premiered with the symphony in 1923
5. Suite Champetre, op.98b - premiered with the symphony
6. Suite Caracteristique, op.100 - premiered with the symphony

So these are the sorts of textures Sibelius is already working with. Somehow, knowing that just makes more sense for me of where the 6th symphony comes from. It's a deeper work musically than any of these, but in terms of the scoring it's not far away from these suites.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 02:26:23 AM by ørfeo »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #2348 on: April 17, 2017, 09:05:41 AM »
I worry though, that one day he will trip over his beard.

Not with THAT toolshed ;)

Look at the size of those wrists!!!!!
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Online PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #2349 on: April 17, 2017, 09:13:56 AM »
Not with THAT toolshed ;)

Look at the size of those wrists!!!!!
Wrist or not I am not a fan of him either as a composer or conductor - a mediocre Sibelius cycle, a ghastly ponderous and bloated Mahler cycle that puts new meaning in conducting against the score...

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Steven Wilson (1967 -)
    Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Steve Hackett, Anathema, Rush, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Björk, David Sylvian, Peter Gabriel
« Reply #2350 on: April 17, 2017, 09:38:56 AM »
Wrist or not I am not a fan of him either as a composer or conductor - a mediocre Sibelius cycle, a ghastly ponderous and bloated Mahler cycle that puts new meaning in conducting against the score...

To the bolded text:

Umm...please. ::) I LOVED Segerstam’s Helsinki cycle on Ondine and not to mention all those fantastic recordings he did of other Sibelius works.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2351 on: April 17, 2017, 11:24:39 AM »
To the bolded text:

Umm...please. ::) I LOVED Segerstam’s Helsinki cycle on Ondine and not to mention all those fantastic recordings he did of other Sibelius works.

Me too - I love both his recordings of Tapiola, the Four Legends and Symphony 3. I like many of the  less favoured Danish RSO recordings as well as the Helsinki ones and I love his Chandos recording of Norgard Symphony 1, in fact I like it more than the very highly regarded BIS version.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Steven Wilson (1967 -)
« Reply #2352 on: April 17, 2017, 11:50:56 AM »
Me too - I love both his recordings of Tapiola, the Four Legends and Symphony 3. I like many of the  less favoured Danish RSO recordings as well as the Helsinki ones and I love his Chandos recording of Norgard Symphony 1, in fact I like it more than the very highly regarded BIS version.

Yes, indeed. Segerstam also recorded the best Pettersson 7th I know.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #2353 on: April 17, 2017, 11:57:14 AM »
Yes, indeed. Segerstam also recorded the best Pettersson 7th I know.

I like it together with the Dorati, which was my first contact with Pettersson in the LP era.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #2354 on: May 19, 2017, 06:06:38 AM »
http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1521390/a/sibelius,+prokofieff%3A+violin+concertos+%2F+bruno+zwickler.htm | http://www.allmusic.com/album/sibelius-prokofiev-violin-concertos-mw0001846472

Carlo Pantelli and Henry Adolph are fake, as is the Philharmonica Slavonica, and Bruno Zwicker was neither a violinist nor alive in the digital recording era due to being killed in the Holocaust.

Who actually made these recordings? I gotta know so I can tag them correctly and also because I kind of like them to be honest.

(Here they are on Spotify for people who wanna listen: https://open.spotify.com/album/49K1tU9H6dT4iHpy8HInA6, tracks 8-13. Orchestra is credited as the RSO Vienna which actually does exist, but I'm not sure if Helena Spitkova is real either.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:10:22 AM by amw »

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #2355 on: May 19, 2017, 06:36:55 AM »
There is a webpage that cleared up some identities of the cheapo recordings distributed with fake names:

http://www.soundfountain.com/allegro-royale/contents.html
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #2356 on: May 19, 2017, 06:44:21 AM »
Wrong pirate labels though—this one appeared on Vienna Masters/Pilz/Point Classics/etc rather than RCA/Royale/etc. Alfred Scholz stuff.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #2357 on: May 19, 2017, 06:56:05 AM »

An interesting post! Do you make your porridge with water or milk?!! ;D

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK