Author Topic: Frederick Delius  (Read 58622 times)

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
Re: Frederick Delius
« Reply #760 on: February 08, 2015, 12:38:38 PM »
Poor ol' Fenby and his superhuman level of patience, tolerance, and, most of all, his belief in this man's music.

Did you read Eric Fenby's book Delius as I knew him ? I did, many years ago, and the story of their cooperation against all odds  - Delius, the Nietzschean, blind, paralyzed yet unbroken, Fenby, the devout Catholic, not only completely devoted, but also very capable - is a classic.
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #761 on: February 08, 2015, 01:57:20 PM »
Did you read Eric Fenby's book Delius as I knew him ? I did, many years ago, and the story of their cooperation against all odds  - Delius, the Nietzschean, blind, paralyzed yet unbroken, Fenby, the devout Catholic, not only completely devoted, but also very capable - is a classic.

That sounds like a fantastic book! Thanks for bringing it up Christo! I love biographies and have just started to dig into composers...
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline J

« Reply #762 on: February 08, 2015, 02:48:48 PM »
That sounds like a fantastic book! Thanks for bringing it up Christo! I love biographies and have just started to dig into composers...

Ken Russell's 1968 film adaptation of Fenby's book titled "A Song of Summer" is moving and compelling also, - easily viewed in its entirety on YouTube, Moonfish.  Check it out.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 03:02:49 PM by J »

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #763 on: February 08, 2015, 03:22:16 PM »
Ken Russell's 1968 film adaptation of Fenby's book titled "A Song of Summer" is moving and compelling also, - easily viewed in its entirety on YouTube, Moonfish.  Check it out.

On my list of films to watch!   :)    Thank you!
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Carl Nielsen (1865 - 1931)
    Lyden af ​​torden kyster Fyn
« Reply #764 on: February 08, 2015, 08:51:20 PM »

Absolutely, Johan. A great read for sure. It certainly heightened my appreciation for the composer.
“I love the vast surface of silence and it is my chief delight to break it.” - Carl Nielsen

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #765 on: February 08, 2015, 09:41:11 PM »
On my list of films to watch!   :)    Thank you!

I honestly didn't care much for the film, but I don't care much about 'biopics' anyway. Peter, you've got to watch this as soon as possible (if you haven't already):

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uTVhBhPzPQA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uTVhBhPzPQA</a>
“I love the vast surface of silence and it is my chief delight to break it.” - Carl Nielsen

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #766 on: February 08, 2015, 10:56:34 PM »
I honestly didn't care much for the film, but I don't care much about 'biopics' anyway. Peter, you've got to watch this as soon as possible (if you haven't already):

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uTVhBhPzPQA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uTVhBhPzPQA</a>

No, I haven't and I definitely need to! Thanks John! So many great documentaries about composers out on the web! It seems like films such as these should be commercially available.  >:(
Anna Lappé

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #767 on: February 08, 2015, 11:13:56 PM »
No, I haven't and I definitely need to! Thanks John! So many great documentaries about composers out on the web! It seems like films such as these should be commercially available.  >:(

You're welcome, Peter. I will say that this Bridcut documentary on Delius didn't introduce anything new to me, but it does a nice job of presenting this composer's fragmented history in a compelling way. Newcomers to this music will do well to check this film out.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #768 on: February 10, 2015, 12:11:02 PM »
Received the book Delius And His Music today. Man, this one is quite heavy. :) Looks like it is laid out really well. Some great pictures throughout and musical examples of works. It's also nice to have a full list of his oeuvre in chronological order.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #769 on: February 14, 2015, 10:02:30 PM »
Bridcut's documentary on the BBC was so great, but I have found the earlier Discovering Delius film (available as an extra the A Village Romeo & Juliet DVD from Decca) is also worth watching. The segments with Mackerras conducting were quite good, but my favorite part was watching Tasmin Little perform parts from the Violin Concerto. My fellow Delians you've to watch this documentary. It doesn't introduce anything new, but it's still entertaining to watch.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Nicolas de Staël: Le Concert (1955)
« Reply #770 on: April 02, 2015, 10:36:45 AM »
For all the avid Delians out there (among whom, I'm afraid, I most definitely don't count myself), it might interest you that the enterprising Wexford Festival in Ireland is staging Koanga in October this year. More information here

Cheers,
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Hannibal de Bréauté, mort ! Antoine de Mouchy, mort ! Charles Swann, mort ! Adalbert de Montmorency, mort ! ... »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #771 on: April 02, 2015, 06:47:54 PM »
For all the avid Delians out there (among whom, I'm afraid, I most definitely don't count myself), it might interest you that the enterprising Wexford Festival in Ireland is staging Koanga in October this year. More information here

Cheers,

Great. I hope a recording comes out of it. Koanga is a magical opera. Thanks for the information (even if you're not a fan of his music). ;)

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #772 on: May 04, 2016, 03:01:31 AM »
I finally bagged the Handley emi cd of Hassan. It has taken me ages to find a copy. I notice it is now unavailable again! My copy was in lovely condition,so thank you very much to that seller & the fair price (I didn't have to sell my kidneys! ;D). I enjoyed the Beecham,but this is one instance where stereo sound really opens up a score,'Beecham magic',or not! Anyway,even if you like Beecham's recording you need to hear Delius in more modern recordings,as well. This is a lovely score,and the story of it's creation,and creators,included with the booklet makes a very interesting read. This is one to put on with Beni Mora for afters,perhaps!! (Or before?!)
Which reminds me. I finally bagged the emi/cfp cd of Sargent's BBCSO recording ofThe Planets,which includes Beni Mora and Perfect Fool,also recorded by Sargent. You've just got to keep looking,haven't you?!! A great month for collecting! :) I still remember my Lp with the Space vehicle on the front. The first Lp I ever owned!!

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #773 on: October 30, 2016, 06:28:16 AM »
I enjoyed the Beecham,but this is one instance where stereo sound really opens up a score,'Beecham magic',or not! Anyway,even if you like Beecham's recording you need to hear Delius in more modern recordings,as well.

+1  :)

I have immersed myself in his music in the past few days. I'm meeting with friends in a couple of weeks and the topic of our musical encounter will be Delius.

The "delian phrase" is sinuous, airborne. It needs air to breathe and take flight. Balances must be carefully gauged by the conductor and sound engineers (beware of bass heavy textures).  When it comes to recordings, I want to "hear" that airiness. Beecham's mono recordings do not allow it to bloom. His stereo recordings are better in that regard.

Most Delius recordings are not new ("recent" ones are some 30 years old in many cases). This is a case where dated sound make a disservice to the composer, even with conducting as masterly as Beecham, Barbirolli, Sargent.

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #774 on: April 23, 2017, 08:47:12 AM »
I am interested in the influence of Delius on other composers of his time, or the other way around, particularly in writing "American" music. Chronologically he seems to be a few years ahead of say, Dvorak, who came to the US in 1892. Delius wrote his Florida Suite in 1887 and Hiawatha tone poem in 1888. Appalachia: an American rhapsody is dated 1896. He was a trail blazer with his opera Koanga, that used African-American folk music.
Igitur primo pecuniae, deinde imperi cupido crevit.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK