Author Topic: John Ireland (1879-1962)  (Read 6371 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: John Ireland (1879-1962)
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »
Love this disc:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2017, 02:11:30 PM »
Love this disc:

Yes,an excellent collection. I haven't got that one!! :( ;D

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2017, 04:12:40 PM »
Yes,an excellent collection. I haven't got that one!! :( ;D
It's the only one which features The Forgotten Rite, Mai Dun and These Things Shall Be all together in great performances.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2017, 11:27:23 AM »
On now. If you like John Ireland this is a good cd to invest in! The performances are very good,with great atmosphere. The sound quality is very good considering the performances are derived from a live 1949 Prom concert. And you don't have to worry that it's live and they're will be lots of coughing,because I've got as far as the second movement of the Piano Concerto,and I still haven't heard any....CHOOOCH-CHACH-EUGH-UCHUR-UCHUUR....Noises (I mean coughing). If there is any,it's extremely muted,or discreet?! I didn't even hear any flem being ejected between movement's, either!! :o I've only got pathway through the cd,however;as it only arrived by post today. Recommended for fans of this composer. I didn't even know about this one until the other day,and,"click",there was another couple of quid gone from my account!! :( ;D Nice,evocative photo on the front,too,I must say! Excellent!

There,I finally heard one....nice,quick and not too distracting either. Sounded like a gent! ::) ;D

I also received this one today,as recommended by vandermolen;and very good it is too! I would say these are easily the finest recordings of John Ireland. Everything is just right. Lot's of atmosphere. Barbirolli gets the most feeling,poetry and mysticism out of these pieces. They also feel more tightly structured than they do in any other recording. These Things Shall Be is wonderfully stirring. In this recording I could honestly say it's one of my favourite choral works.
And all the other recordings are wonderful too. Of course,I've heard some of these recordings before. The Elgar,VW and Purcell are new to me,though.

It strikes me that John Ireland is one of those composer's that is hard to pin down. Get the wrong recording and you might not go back to him again. Hickox is a good example of this. Not that his recordings are not good;they just lack some of the mysticism and poetry that Barbirolli captured in these recordings. Also,despite the lush,Chandos,and sometimes a little too reverberant,sound quality,they seem to emphasise some of what some people might single out as Ireland's worst failings. In other words they seem a bit too rhapsodic. Or as someone might say less kindly....they meander. Not with Barbirolli,they don't! And Boult is good,too. In fact,I think that hearing recordings as good as Barbirolli's is almost like a key to all of Ireland's few orchestral works. Barbirolli,then Boult....or at least,Boult? But not Hickox first!! I actually,did hear Hickox first. I remember enjoying Ireland's music,but thinking,it was nice,but not something I would return to that often! Then I bought the emi cd of Barbirolli conducting Bax's third symphony and The Forgotten Rite and These Thing Shall Be. I also got the Piano Concerto and Mai Dun performed by JB off one of those vinyl blogs. Anyway,the Boult cd's followed and the Eric Parkin Piano cd's;and the long and the short of it is,Ireland is now one of my favourite British composers!

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2017, 01:36:46 PM »
On now. If you like John Ireland this is a good cd to invest in! The performances are very good,with great atmosphere. The sound quality is very good considering the performances are derived from a live 1949 Prom concert. And you don't have to worry that it's live and they're will be lots of coughing,because I've got as far as the second movement of the Piano Concerto,and I still haven't heard any....CHOOOCH-CHACH-EUGH-UCHUR-UCHUUR....Noises (I mean coughing). If there is any,it's extremely muted,or discreet?! I didn't even hear any flem being ejected between movement's, either!! :o I've only got pathway through the cd,however;as it only arrived by post today. Recommended for fans of this composer. I didn't even know about this one until the other day,and,"click",there was another couple of quid gone from my account!! :( ;D Nice,evocative photo on the front,too,I must say! Excellent!

There,I finally heard one....nice,quick and not too distracting either. Sounded like a gent! ::) ;D

I also received this one today,as recommended by vandermolen;and very good it is too! I would say these are easily the finest recordings of John Ireland. Everything is just right. Lot's of atmosphere. Barbirolli gets the most feeling,poetry and mysticism out of these pieces. They also feel more tightly structured than they do in any other recording. These Things Shall Be is wonderfully stirring. In this recording I could honestly say it's one of my favourite choral works.
And all the other recordings are wonderful too. Of course,I've heard some of these recordings before. The Elgar,VW and Purcell are new to me,though.

It strikes me that John Ireland is one of those composer's that is hard to pin down. Get the wrong recording and you might not go back to him again. Hickox is a good example of this. Not that his recordings are not good;they just lack some of the mysticism and poetry that Barbirolli captured in these recordings. Also,despite the lush,Chandos,and sometimes a little too reverberant,sound quality,they seem to emphasise some of what some people might single out as Ireland's worst failings. In other words they seem a bit too rhapsodic. Or as someone might say less kindly....they meander. Not with Barbirolli,they don't! And Boult is good,too. In fact,I think that hearing recordings as good as Barbirolli's is almost like a key to all of Ireland's few orchestral works. Barbirolli,then Boult....or at least,Boult? But not Hickox first!! I actually,did hear Hickox first. I remember enjoying Ireland's music,but thinking,it was nice,but not something I would return to that often! Then I bought the emi cd of Barbirolli conducting Bax's third symphony and The Forgotten Rite and These Thing Shall Be. I also got the Piano Concerto and Mai Dun performed by JB off one of those vinyl blogs. Anyway,the Boult cd's followed and the Eric Parkin Piano cd's;and the long and the short of it is,Ireland is now one of my favourite British composers!
Very much agree with you and delighted that you like that Barbirolli CD. It's good to have Mai Dun, the Forgotten Rite and These Things Shall Be in the same collection in exceptionally atmospheric and moving performances - one of the great Dutton historical releases.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK