Author Topic: Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)  (Read 122530 times)

Offline Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
  • If it sound good it is good.
Re: Johannes Brahms (1833-1897)
« Reply #1000 on: April 13, 2018, 12:35:10 PM »
One that I have which I can't really comment on since I haven't had time to listen to any substantial part of it is Oppitz.

Just mentioning that it exists.

You didn't ask me, but I would say the most satisfying sets of Schumann Symphonies I have listened to are Bernstein, Wiener Philharmoniker (surprisingly straight and energetic) and Harnoncourt (idiosyncratic, and gorgeous, in my view).

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #1001 on: April 13, 2018, 07:11:06 PM »
You didn't ask me either but my favourite Schumann set is from Heinz Holliger and the WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln.
https://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works-Vol/dp/B00ELVVC6U + https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works/dp/B00KIA1DXA + https://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works-Vol/dp/B00MQ8Y4FQ/

As for Brahms piano music, it's not complete and not boxed up in a set, but Hardy Rittner is doing an integral on MDG that is very high quality. Do not know the Oppitz & Barenboim integrals. There is yet another integral from Andreas Boyde, which is also pretty good, on a similar level to Couteau.

Kovacevich, Ax and Angelich have recorded most of Brahms's piano music but I don't know if they did all of it or if it's available anywhere.

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #1002 on: April 13, 2018, 11:16:03 PM »
You didn't ask me either but my favourite Schumann set is from Heinz Holliger and the WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln.
https://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works-Vol/dp/B00ELVVC6U + https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works/dp/B00KIA1DXA + https://www.amazon.com/Schumann-Complete-Symphonic-Works-Vol/dp/B00MQ8Y4FQ/

As for Brahms piano music, it's not complete and not boxed up in a set, but Hardy Rittner is doing an integral on MDG that is very high quality. Do not know the Oppitz & Barenboim integrals. There is yet another integral from Andreas Boyde, which is also pretty good, on a similar level to Couteau.

Kovacevich, Ax and Angelich have recorded most of Brahms's piano music but I don't know if they did all of it or if it's available anywhere.
One that I have which I can't really comment on since I haven't had time to listen to any substantial part of it is Oppitz.

Just mentioning that it exists.

You didn't ask me, but I would say the most satisfying sets of Schumann Symphonies I have listened to are Bernstein, Wiener Philharmoniker (surprisingly straight and energetic) and Harnoncourt (idiosyncratic, and gorgeous, in my view).

Thank you both.  :)
“Tell me,” she finally whispered, “is it fun for you to torture me? I should really hate you. Ever since we've known each other, you've given me nothing but suffering.” Her voice trembled, she leaned toward me, lowered her head onto my chest. “Perhaps,” I thought, “this is exactly why you loved me."

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1003 on: April 14, 2018, 09:08:28 PM »
I only have the 'Works for Solo Piano' box featuring Katchen. I'd like another box to contrast that one. Any suggestions?

Andreas Boyde, it's very lovingly played and he has a modern piano sound that I can tolerate. Though be aware that I only listen to the late music and big sets of variations really - I don't know anything about sonatas, ballades . . .
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:15:13 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #1004 on: April 14, 2018, 09:39:40 PM »
If you want the real nerd bullshit:

Sonata No.1 Op.1 - François-Frédéric Guy
Sonata No.2 Op.2 - Hélène Grimaud (Denon)
Schumann Variations Op.9 - Sheila Arnold
Ballades Op.10 - Nicholas Angelich, Valery Afanassiev (if you're insane)
Handel Variations Op.24 - Jorge Bolet, Claudio Arrau (Ermitage), Benno Moiseiwitsch
Paganini Variations Op.35 - Yuja Wang
7 Fantasien Op.116 - Evgenia Rubinova
3 Intermezzi Op.117 - Andreas Boyde, Arcadi Volodos
6 Klavierstücke Op.118 - Julius Katchen, Arcadi Volodos, Hélène Grimaud (Denon)
4 Klavierstücke Op.119 - Rudolf Firkušny (BBC Legends), Maurizio Pollini

Add/subtract your own favourites/unfavourites or key works

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #1005 on: April 14, 2018, 10:22:29 PM »
Of the "incomplete" Brahms piano recordings, I'd recommend Rubinstein for the 3rd sonata, Rhapsodies op.79 and about half or so of opp. 116-119. He also did the Ballades op.10 but it's been too long that I listened to them.

The first two sonatas are rather uneven pieces; there is a very enthusiastic live Richter (who did not play the 3rd!) recording on Decca.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1006 on: April 14, 2018, 11:40:39 PM »
If you want the real nerd bullshit:

Sonata No.1 Op.1 - François-Frédéric Guy
Sonata No.2 Op.2 - Hélène Grimaud (Denon)
Schumann Variations Op.9 - Sheila Arnold
Ballades Op.10 - Nicholas Angelich, Valery Afanassiev (if you're insane)
Handel Variations Op.24 - Jorge Bolet, Claudio Arrau (Ermitage), Benno Moiseiwitsch
Paganini Variations Op.35 - Yuja Wang
7 Fantasien Op.116 - Evgenia Rubinova
3 Intermezzi Op.117 - Andreas Boyde, Arcadi Volodos
6 Klavierstücke Op.118 - Julius Katchen, Arcadi Volodos, Hélène Grimaud (Denon)
4 Klavierstücke Op.119 - Rudolf Firkušny (BBC Legends), Maurizio Pollini

Add/subtract your own favourites/unfavourites or key works

yes I think there are some interesting ideas here, Rubinova and Volodos.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1007 on: April 14, 2018, 11:44:34 PM »
Of the "incomplete" Brahms piano recordings, I'd recommend Rubinstein for the 3rd sonata, Rhapsodies op.79 and about half or so of opp. 116-119. He also did the Ballades op.10 but it's been too long that I listened to them.

The first two sonatas are rather uneven pieces; there is a very enthusiastic live Richter (who did not play the 3rd!) recording on Decca.

Yes distinctive and noble in the 116-119 -- there's a recording on Vol 10 of the Rubinstein Collection which I like.