Author Topic: Schoenberg's Sheen  (Read 52551 times)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: Schoenberg's Sheen ATHERTON BOX
« Reply #500 on: September 14, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »
Serenade
Suite
Wind Quintet

I took out the two Atherton/Decca discs; I'm always up for the Serenade, probably because of the mandolin- there's a profuse garden of detail in all three works. I still find they sound like... well, whatever they've been sounding like to me for the duration: yea, no, not the sound of "mental illness", but, frankly, you'll never find a town where all the characters exhibit the tendencies that all the characters do in Schoenberg's world. It's just that everyone's just like him. It makes for nice embroidery, but, I still fail to find the propulsive motivation for it all- why does he feel the need to fill up every last space with the exact same amount of detail? And, the old fashioned rhythms, coupled with the new fangled harmony, still leads to a fractured vision. To me, it can symbolize vegetation growing, but not human interaction, though it still "sounds" as if it is trying to imitate the complexities of the human experience.

I'm starting to think that Schoenberg is the most "manufactured" sounding Composer of all time, equaling Late Hindemith.

Of course, I find the Atherton Box charming, along with the SQs (Arditti). Arnold still sounds like Neo-Baroque to me, and nothing more. The String Trio gives the update...
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod Šnigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Schoenberg's Sheen
« Reply #501 on: September 15, 2017, 06:33:28 AM »
I'm starting to think that Schoenberg is the most "manufactured" sounding Composer of all time.

Puh-leez ::)

8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. Ś Franšoise Gilot

Offline α | ý Ă ˝

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
« Reply #502 on: September 15, 2017, 02:25:32 PM »
Arnold still sounds like Neo-Baroque to me, and nothing more.

I can kind of see that, I hear a lot of Bach in his highly contrapuntal sections, but he's definitely a romantic all-round

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #503 on: September 15, 2017, 03:39:46 PM »
Serenade
Suite
Wind Quintet

I took out the two Atherton/Decca discs; I'm always up for the Serenade, probably because of the mandolin- there's a profuse garden of detail in all three works. I still find they sound like... well, whatever they've been sounding like to me for the duration: yea, no, not the sound of "mental illness", but, frankly, you'll never find a town where all the characters exhibit the tendencies that all the characters do in Schoenberg's world. It's just that everyone's just like him. It makes for nice embroidery, but, I still fail to find the propulsive motivation for it all- why does he feel the need to fill up every last space with the exact same amount of detail? And, the old fashioned rhythms, coupled with the new fangled harmony, still leads to a fractured vision. To me, it can symbolize vegetation growing, but not human interaction, though it still "sounds" as if it is trying to imitate the complexities of the human experience.

I'm starting to think that Schoenberg is the most "manufactured" sounding Composer of all time, equaling Late Hindemith.

Of course, I find the Atherton Box charming, along with the SQs (Arditti). Arnold still sounds like Neo-Baroque to me, and nothing more. The String Trio gives the update...

Schoenberg's rhythms aren't nearly so traditional as the old criticism would imply.  His later works tended not to use odd divisions of the pulse, but the actual interplay between the various lines was often extremely complex.  So many tunes...

Offline kyjo

• Sir Malcolm Arnold (1921-2006)
« Reply #504 on: September 15, 2017, 04:12:02 PM »
Anyone else here a fan of Schoenberg's delightfully quirky Cello Concerto based on Monn's Harpsichord Concerto in D major? It's hardly as successfully as his orchestration of Brahms' Piano Quartet no. 1, and the cello part is quite awkward-sounding at times, but I love it all the same, especially for its kaleidoscopically colorful orchestration.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod Šnigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #505 on: September 15, 2017, 05:53:47 PM »
Anyone else here a fan of Schoenberg's delightfully quirky Cello Concerto based on Monn's Harpsichord Concerto in D major? It's hardly as successfully as his orchestration of Brahms' Piano Quartet no. 1, and the cello part is quite awkward-sounding at times, but I love it all the same, especially for its kaleidoscopically colorful orchestration.
Aye, great fun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. Ś Franšoise Gilot

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK