Author Topic: Hector Berlioz  (Read 33902 times)

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
Re: Hector Berlioz
« Reply #340 on: August 29, 2016, 05:42:04 PM »
If he programmes a Grande Messe, I will know he really has lost Le Plot.

Ha! Indeed.

The Jupiter and Saturn fingers are square; the ring, or Apollo, and little, or Mercury, fingers are spatula, flat and broad. The Saturn finger is full of knots. The force of the little finger on both hands is tremendous; the knuckle seems as if made of iron. -- Palmist Anne Brewster on Liszt's hands

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #341 on: July 27, 2017, 05:23:18 AM »
After a long hiatus, I reread the Memoirs of Hector Berlioz, all 500 pages, and listened to various works including Harold in Italy 10x after downloading the score. Anyone else doing Berlioz these days?

ZB
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #342 on: July 27, 2017, 05:51:58 AM »
Not presently, but I am always ready to return to Berlioziana  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #343 on: July 27, 2017, 07:18:28 AM »
Not presently, but I am always ready to return to Berlioziana  8)

Thanks to IMSLP, stuff that would have escaped while only listening to Harold, the downloaded score revealed a very tight structure and economy of means. Paganini recognized it as a work of genius, even if most people, in particular, the French, thought HB a nutcase. The 20,000 francs he gave to Berlioz as payment for the commission to write a concerto for viola was indeed a worthy tribute.

Paganini praised HB as the inheritor of Beethoven that even today might seem goofy. However, the Pastorale Symphony must have been an influence on that and the Symphonie Fantastique. In the Memoirs, (an excellent translation from 1935) Berlioz does mention Beethoven's unconventional use of percussion. I thought of Tschaikovsky while listening to the build up of tension in the last movement where the violins rise to an ostinato trill of sorts and then the brass comes booming in.
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK