Author Topic: Leonard Bernstein 1918-1990  (Read 39043 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Musik fra den himmelske by
Re: Leonard Bernstein 1918-1990
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2018, 05:26:01 AM »
It's incredible to think that Lenny has been gone for almost 30 years now.
I do agree with your choice of his best compositions.

zb

Indeed, but thankfully his musical legacy lives on!
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Musik fra den himmelske by
« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2018, 06:08:19 AM »
I'm one of those who have always loved "Mass" .  Not blindly, not in its entirety but as some kind of patchwork sampler of its time and the hopes and aspirations of that time.  I think it will date (has dated) in the way other Bernstein works have not but even then as a kind of period piece I find it often deeply moving.  I think it also represents its creator remarkably well - a host of influences/styles/aspirations/ideas.  I also think it is one of the very very few works that tries to bridge the divide between "Art" music and "Popular" music which works more than it doesn't.  All the other kind of "Concerto for Rock Band & Orchestra" or concept albums trying to fuse Rock with Cassical are abject failures to my ears by ending up dumbing down both genres.

As to why it can be described as "garbled" I have no idea.

By the way - the new DG Nezet-Seguin recording is awful!

I do like the Meditation movements from the Mass, but that’s about it.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #242 on: May 12, 2018, 09:13:48 AM »
A less well-known version of Symphonies 1&2

- well played by the Arnhem Orchestra but of particular interest for Jard van Nes' excellent and moving singing of the "Lamentation" movement in No.1
No picture showing  :(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #243 on: May 14, 2018, 03:14:30 AM »
No picture showing  :(

(Have it myself, of course; my local band playing).
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948