Author Topic: Stockhausen's Spaceship  (Read 260010 times)

Online Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
  • Currently Listening to:
    Currently conducting the largest symphony in the galaxy and we don't even have enough money to get scores because our accountant has been slacking off and putting us in a little bit of debt
Re: Stockhausen's Spaceship
« Reply #1340 on: December 05, 2016, 01:12:42 AM »

The way opera should be! 8)
"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." - A.C.

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #1341 on: December 13, 2016, 09:03:21 AM »

Online Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
    Currently conducting the largest symphony in the galaxy and we don't even have enough money to get scores because our accountant has been slacking off and putting us in a little bit of debt
« Reply #1342 on: December 13, 2016, 10:24:28 AM »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

So it's definitely happening now?
I live on the other side of the world but I'm gonna try and make an effort to get there, I have to see this once in a lifetime spectacle!
 :-*
"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains." - A.C.

Offline Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #1343 on: December 13, 2016, 12:03:45 PM »
I live on the other side of the world but I'm gonna try and make an effort to get there, I have to see this once in a lifetime spectacle!
 :-*

Do that! Holland Festival is worth the trip.

Online Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
« Reply #1344 on: December 31, 2016, 02:49:58 AM »
I'm just about to go through another Stockhausen phase, I predict......  ;)

Happy new years aliens on your planet of "earth", we will invade another time...when you least expect it  >:D
hahahahahaaa......  :laugh:

Online Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
« Reply #1345 on: January 07, 2017, 10:17:23 PM »

Offline Rex

« Reply #1346 on: January 11, 2017, 02:57:08 AM »

Something very tempting to look forward to in 2 years time!!  At least Pierre Audi gives the impression that he could  brilliantly fulfill Stockhausen's vision, rather than graft a grotesque implant of his own vision on Stockhausen's music.

Unlike the production of Donnerstag in Basel, which I flew to from the other side of the world only to see a production that was so banal and so far removed from Stockhausen's vision, I had to close my eyes to reassure myself that Stockhausen really was the genius I had known for so many years. And sure enough, with my eyes closed, there was that wonderful music!! After watching Michaels Reise in an execrable production that was so removed from Stockhausen's vision, I had to walk out and miss the third act. As I said to my bf as we walked through the beautiful evening air in Basel, Stockhausen's music has unfailingly taken me to places of intellectual beauty. An opening out into greater possibilities. But all I could feel from this production was darkness, claustrophobia and pretension. (Although I have to admit that people I respect have liked that production. I thought it was just hideous!)

If you hadn't already guessed I have no patience for directors who steal a vision of genius from a great composer, and infect it with trivialities and banalities that completely betray the original vision. I find it hard to understand how musicians who strive so hard and successfully to be faithful to the music a composer wrote, can be part of a production that is utterly historically inaccurate.

LOL - it's late at night and I have obviously let one of my demons out of the bottle!

Here's to Suzanne Stephens, Kathinka Pasveer and Pierre Audi, and a host of other great musicians and artists making something truly wonderful in Holland in 2019. I know if I can make it I will be there!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:00:08 AM by Rex »

Offline Rex

« Reply #1347 on: February 02, 2017, 05:32:10 PM »
There is a short video of fragments of a beautiful performance of Stimmung by Nordic Voices on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyLrWlQNTfY

The performance was in the Emanuel Vigeland Mausoleum in Oslo, which has a strong and long reverberation. My first impression was this would be damaging to the music. But in fact it creates a wonderful aura around the music.
Most of all - the performance is superb! If a video of this were released I would certainly be buying it!
The clip also includes some discussion with Christel Stockhausen, who seems quite moved by the performance   :D
Wonderful.

Online Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
« Reply #1348 on: March 06, 2017, 08:58:25 PM »
I'm looking at the score for Formel in at the library, it's a really usual work for Karlheinz.

Every few bars it repeats the main theme (in a few instrumental combinations like Vibs and Glockenspiel or clarinet and oboe) but the accompaniment underneath is different everytime and evolving/developing almost separately from the melody. The ensemble breaks apart multiple times and creates many dynamic timbres.
I've previously only listened to the piece lots but I now have even more interest in this early piece, AWESOME  :D

Online Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
« Reply #1349 on: March 13, 2017, 01:19:02 AM »
Especially directed at Nathanb but here is something interesting for you Stockhausen fans to think about:

I'm surprised I didn't realise it earlier but I've just had a mindblowing realisation that Stockhausen's Licht alone is longer than Xenakis' (not that they're actually similar composers) ENTIRE output!!!  :o :o  :-X  :o

How is that for a prolific composer!
I'm not sure how long JS Bach's output totals in time but Xenakis' output is roughly 26/27 hours long, Licht is the infamous 29/30 hours, then Stockhausen has a whole catalogue outside of the Licht cycle.... ???

Offline nathanb

« Reply #1350 on: March 13, 2017, 04:44:06 PM »
Especially directed at Nathanb but here is something interesting for you Stockhausen fans to think about:

I'm surprised I didn't realise it earlier but I've just had a mindblowing realisation that Stockhausen's Licht alone is longer than Xenakis' (not that they're actually similar composers) ENTIRE output!!!  :o :o  :-X  :o

I'm not sure how long JS Bach's output totals in time but Xenakis' output is roughly 26/27 hours long, Licht is the infamous 29/30 hours, then Stockhausen has a whole catalogue outside of the Licht cycle.... ???

Current amount of Stockhausen on my iPod: 5:00:22:48 (Or >120 hours)

Online Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
  • Venice as seen by Turner
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #1351 on: March 13, 2017, 05:05:33 PM »

Hmm.  The Complete Bach sets range between 150 and 170 CDs. Posit an average running time of an hour per CD gives you 150+ hours. But it's not a fair comparison to either JBS or KHS.

Bach wrote his music mostly for immediate performance without expecting it to be performed more than once or twice, freely recycled material, adapted works by other composers, arranged a huge number of chorales for organ and for four part chorus from pre-existing material, wrote his church music to fit the requirements of the church service and his employers, etc.  Most important, we know we don't have everything he wrote, but can't be sure what is missing.

Most of that is not relevant to Stockhausen's situation. How much of the 120 hours Nathanb has on his Ipod consists of reworkings for varying combinations of instruments?

Online Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
« Reply #1352 on: March 13, 2017, 06:35:15 PM »
Current amount of Stockhausen on my iPod: 5:00:22:48 (Or >120 hours)

That is madder than anything I have  :o

I have 1 day, 6 hours of Xenakis, Aprox. 1 day 3 hours is non-repeating, it includes everything I can get my hands on (without getting CDs that are completely filled with recordings of the same piece).

Since I got a new laptop for uni, I haven't finished my spring cleaning but I've got 20 hours of Stockhausen on there....obviously more that hasn't been ripped yet. Also at Uni, there is an amazing library, besides lots of scores...they have CDs....and quite a few Stockhausen, Scelsi, Xenakis, Bartok, Beethoven....blah blah, I'll be adding a lot to my digital collection over the year  :D

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 06:41:48 PM by Thatfabulousalien »

Online Thatfabulousalien

• Veteran member
« Reply #1353 on: March 13, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »
Lol, then contrast that with my 2 hours 30 of Varese or 3 hours 45 of Webern  :laugh: :laugh:  0:)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK