Author Topic: Stockhausen's Spaceship  (Read 342472 times)

Offline Rex

Re: Stockhausen's Spaceship
« Reply #1360 on: December 28, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »
Hi Mandryka

I'm not sure if you are asking if the booklet is worth acquiring/reading (in which case it can be read in the Naxos Music Library) - or if you are asking an opinion of the article on the Klavierstücke by Wolfgang Rathert printed in the booklet.

I have just been listening to the performance on Naxos, and like it enough to decide to purchase a copy of the recording for myself. Sabine Liebner seems to me to play the works very well, although her interpretation seems quite gentle and contemplative. It would not replace the more dynamic performances of Aloys Kontarsky for me. I have had a cursory read of the booklet, and to an enthusiastic amateur like myself it is both informative and interesting to read. I will be reading it more carefully in the future when I have some more leisurely time.

I hope that is a little bit useful. Perhaps someone with a deeper insight will give a more detailed response.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1361 on: December 29, 2018, 07:03:30 AM »
Unfortunately I’m not a member of Naxos Music Library. What I’m really asking is whether the booklet ideas makes clear Sabine Liebner’s thoughts about the music, about how she arrived at her interpretation, the order, the choice etc. If she wrote the essay and it was substantial, then I’d buy the recording. As it is I can listen to it via streaming services. 

Liebner is always contemplative!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 08:58:56 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Rex

« Reply #1362 on: December 29, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »
The booklet essay is titled 'Numbers and Freedom: The Historical Significance of Karlheinz Stockhausen's Klavierstücke I–XI', and is by Wolfgang Rathert, so it is about Stockhausen's compositional method rather than Liebner's approach to her performance.

Naxos allows a free 15 minute preview of their website - so you could read the essay yourself, or even download the booklet, by going to www.naxosmusiclibrary.com - clicking on the free preview button at the lower right of the page, then searching for 'Stockhausen Liebner' in the search box. If you want to save the booklet you can right click on it, on the relevant page, and 'save as'.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1363 on: December 29, 2018, 02:40:54 PM »
The booklet essay is titled 'Numbers and Freedom: The Historical Significance of Karlheinz Stockhausen's Klavierstücke I–XI', and is by Wolfgang Rathert, so it is about Stockhausen's compositional method rather than Liebner's approach to her performance.

Naxos allows a free 15 minute preview of their website - so you could read the essay yourself, or even download the booklet, by going to www.naxosmusiclibrary.com - clicking on the free preview button at the lower right of the page, then searching for 'Stockhausen Liebner' in the search box. If you want to save the booklet you can right click on it, on the relevant page, and 'save as'.

Excellent. That worked!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.