Author Topic: Stockhausen's Spaceship  (Read 289603 times)

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
Re: Stockhausen's Spaceship
« Reply #1380 on: June 23, 2017, 02:35:56 PM »
Sometimes I use the wrong word without realizing  :-[

I still have barely heard anything from Stockhausen's catalogue, but each piece I listen to is a joy. Particularly the things with electronics.

Glad to hear! I figured the mixed media electronic stuff would excite you, as you're interested in that at the moment  ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:38:22 PM by α | »

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #1381 on: June 23, 2017, 03:16:34 PM »
What are your thoughts on the Helicopter quartet? Because I think that's bombastic.  :P

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #1382 on: June 23, 2017, 03:35:09 PM »
What are your thoughts on the Helicopter quartet? Because I think that's bombastic.  :P

On it's own, it is not particularly a highlight of Stockhausen's oeuvre, though it does some interesting things glissing between the three voices in the super-formula. However; in the context of the whole Mittwoch opera (You have to obtain scenes separately unfortunately), it's very mesmerizing! 

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #1383 on: June 23, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »
Plus it's slapped right in the middle of Orchester-Finalisten and Michaelion, which are both two of the highlights of Mittwoch (Welt Parlament included), where a lot of story pieces happen
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 03:41:34 PM by α | »

Offline petrarch

• Veteran member
  • Luigi Nono (1924-1990)
« Reply #1384 on: July 10, 2017, 05:52:48 PM »
Same documentary as in Mode 276 DVD:

http://www.ubu.com/film/stockhausen_momente.html
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Offline otima

« Reply #1385 on: July 23, 2017, 08:47:25 AM »
I went through a period of basically listening to nothing but his music, this lasted for about 5-6 years. I know all the "operas" very well. I know Stockhausen's body of work like the back of my hand. It takes time to let things settle and clarity sink in - to reach real perspective. And he has nothing in common with Wagner, I hate when people try to compare him to that Giant. People who do are uneducated and have no ears. Stockhausen in no way, shape or form comes close to Wagner's music. Heck, even Wagner's "bloody chunks" destroy everything Stockhausen did. Having said this .. Stockhausen was one of the best classical composers of his time, but this speaks to how crappy his era was - most composers (including him) wasted their great talent searching for new worlds, most of it failed to take hold and overall it's very, very patchy/splintered in it's triumphs.

Stockhausen has had a very big impact on art music aka western classical tradition. The fact that you regard Stravinsky (in your next post) as better than Stockhausen says a lot. Stravinsky "Der Kleine Modernsky" in the word of Schoenberg, was an important Representative of Neoclassicism for most of his life, but nothing more. He was hardly a renewer of music like Stockhausen

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #1386 on: July 25, 2017, 01:41:15 AM »
I am once again in love with Licht. I made a midi mock-up of the superformula and it's incredible. The whole entire cycle (except for one scene in Donnerstag) is integrated in that formula, it's both a thematic reference and a structural and material derived tool, in the process of creating Licht. That 30 bar, 3 voice theme IS the entirety of Licht but yet the characters themselves. It's a fractal and it's beautiful  :-*

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #1387 on: July 26, 2017, 10:46:24 PM »
I got this out today, looking forward to digging in  8)

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #1388 on: September 04, 2017, 05:45:54 PM »
I'm starting to see a strong correlation between Stockhausen's music and dreams now, after reading up on Trans. What do you Stockhausian's think?

millionrainbows

« Reply #1389 on: September 07, 2017, 11:38:09 AM »
My favorite Stockhausen works are Prozesion (first encountered on a cut-out LP in a K-Mart sale bin), Zyklus (I had the Max Niehaus version on LP, now available on CD), Zeitmass (Columbia Odyssey LP, now on CD, great liner notes by Robert Craft), Kontra-Punkte (and this was before Punk), Hymnen, Kurzwellen, Mantra, Stimmung, Song of the Youths (on CD now), Ceylon.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #1390 on: September 07, 2017, 12:44:15 PM »
I'm starting to see a strong correlation between Stockhausen's music and dreams now, after reading up on Trans. What do you Stockhausian's think?

That Stockhausen - or other composers and artists of all kinds - can be influenced by dreams, vivid or otherwise, is not so unusual.  The unconscious is often at work during sleep, and so, if the brain may desire to create something, but it remains vague, inchoate, during waking hours, the unconscious may try to work on the problem and provide something more specific via a dream.
"Now who taught ye t' be playin' patty fingers in the holy water?"

- Barry Fitzgerald to John Wayne in  The Quiet Man.

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #1391 on: September 10, 2017, 03:24:00 AM »
Stockhausen is THE Psychedelic composer, even more than Scriabin or Scelsi, he really created several truly trippy, dream-like worlds.

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #1392 on: September 15, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
My heart goes out to Gruppen, so much love for that piece  :-*

Offline Le Moderniste

• Birthdate: Year (YYYY) - Month (MM) - Day (DD)
« Reply #1393 on: November 06, 2017, 01:37:35 AM »
Stockhausen is a composer that over time I've come to not only enjoy along many of my other favorite modernist composers, but love extensively. His work covers such a broad scope of modernism and he was a constantly evolving and innovating person. To the extent that if you heard the story of his life and ambitions when someone just told you it, they would think you're just making it up  :laugh:

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK