Author Topic: Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)  (Read 86266 times)

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
Re: Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)
« Reply #1040 on: March 28, 2018, 03:31:07 AM »
Julietta and Ariane definitely stand out for me. Martinů wrote a lot of operas, but as a corpus they are not as memorable as Janáček's. The Miracles of Mary (along with the Greek Passion) stand out as other worthies IMO - the former has a bit of everything, religious mysticism, all kinds of arrangements of dance, rustic and sublime moments wrapped up in a series of powerful vignettes. Not quite like Puccini's Il trittico, there are strands that bind all the seemingly unrelated scenes together into a high-concept sweep. It's very cool, but I can't explain it very well.
This is another one I enjoy. I remember hearing it on Radio 3,one afternoon,and it stayed in my mind. I like this description of it,from 2011. I haven't got Julietta,sadly. Sellers keep asking high prices. I had the original Lp set,when I was a youngster.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #1041 on: March 28, 2018, 03:34:23 AM »
@ Karl: though I'm far from expert, the later the better I find - although I have only heard half of them ;_:

Ariane (a small gem) and the Greek Passion I would probably add with Julietta - The Marriage is also very fine.
Ariane is another one I've got to hear!!

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #1042 on: March 28, 2018, 03:41:17 AM »
https://theartsdesk.com/classical-music/classical-cds-weekly-leo-martin%C5%AF-schubert

Ariane is,"Absolutely irresistible"?! Oh no,please don't 'tell me' that.............because I won't!!! ::) ;D

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #1043 on: March 28, 2018, 06:31:56 AM »
https://theartsdesk.com/classical-music/classical-cds-weekly-leo-martin%C5%AF-schubert

Ariane is,"Absolutely irresistible"?! Oh no,please don't 'tell me' that.............because I won't!!! ::) ;D

I highly recommend Ariane. It needs to be in every Martinů collection IMHO. Go for the latest recording with Netopil on Supraphon.
“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #1044 on: March 28, 2018, 12:17:25 PM »
Thank you for the recommendation,MI. I've bought a copy. It might be a few days before it arrives,though.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1045 on: March 28, 2018, 07:26:49 PM »
Thank you for the recommendation,MI. I've bought a copy. It might be a few days before it arrives,though.

Great stuff! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.
“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

snyprrr

Re: Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959) MADRIGAL ALBUM/ HYPERION
« Reply #1046 on: March 29, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »
That Madrigals album on Hyperion is quite tasty, eh?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
Re: Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959) MADRIGAL ALBUM/ HYPERION
« Reply #1047 on: March 30, 2018, 04:57:02 AM »
That Madrigals album on Hyperion is quite tasty, eh?

Oh yes, that’s a good one. That is if you’re referring to The Dartington Ensemble’s 2-CD set.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 05:00:20 AM by Mirror Image »

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #1048 on: June 08, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »
After deriving enormous pleasure from Martinu's Tre Ricercare and Toccata e due Canzoni I stumbled upon the Cello Sonatas. Really stumbled. After listening to the first two sonatas on the Isserlis recording on Hyperion I found no joy.

I'm ready to go on to the third Sonata. Do I have the wrong recording? Or do I have the wrong brain?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:19:14 PM by Baron Scarpia »

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #1049 on: June 08, 2018, 10:16:52 PM »
The third sonata clicked, for me, and now the first is starting to sink in as well, particularly the expressive slow movement.

But now another theme, whenever I listen to Martinu's music for Piano and X, I start thinking, what is X for? Where is Martinu's solo piano music. It is not a huge body of work, there is a Naxos series of complete Martinu solo piano music in 7 discs or so. Where to start?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 11:39:53 AM by Baron Scarpia »

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #1050 on: June 09, 2018, 02:44:22 PM »
No one has any comment about Martinu Solo Piano Music?

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #1051 on: June 09, 2018, 02:57:28 PM »
I recall enjoying the works on this disc very much, when listening to it on Spotify.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #1052 on: June 09, 2018, 05:24:43 PM »
I recall enjoying the works on this disc very much, when listening to it on Spotify.

By some coincidence, that's the one I have on my shopping cart.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Judith

Love most composers but especially Brahms & Schumann
« Reply #1055 on: August 04, 2018, 09:17:20 AM »
The third sonata clicked, for me, and now the first is starting to sink in as well, particularly the expressive slow movement.

But now another theme, whenever I listen to Martinu's music for Piano and X, I start thinking, what is X for? Where is Martinu's solo piano music. It is not a huge body of work, there is a Naxos series of complete Martinu solo piano music in 7 discs or so. Where to start?

I have a later Martinu CD of cello sonatas 1-3 by Steven Isserlis and Olli Mustonen which I like very much. 

Before this set,  wasn't so familiar with Martinu and found the sonatas challenging but they grew on me.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #1056 on: August 04, 2018, 10:30:11 AM »
Looks like a great disc! The title misled me to think that it would include one of my favorite Martinu works - the double concerto for violin and piano. Oh well!

I see how that could be misread. "Oh, what, there are TWO of them? I already love the one I know..." But even then, this disc wouldn't be a let-down.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1057 on: August 04, 2018, 11:27:36 AM »
I have a later Martinu CD of cello sonatas 1-3 by Steven Isserlis and Olli Mustonen which I like very much. 

Before this set,  wasn't so familiar with Martinu and found the sonatas challenging but they grew on me.

Sweet!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1058 on: August 04, 2018, 11:29:00 AM »
I see how that could be misread. "Oh, what, there are TWO of them? I already love the one I know..." But even then, this disc wouldn't be a let-down.

Note taken.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1059 on: August 04, 2018, 07:06:35 PM »
Latest on ClassicsToday:

Latest on @ClassicsToday: A Martinů Double Sister Act [Insider]

"Downright mandatory Martinů package in state-of-the-art sound."

w/#LawrenceFoster #DeborahNemtanu #SarahNamtanu #BohuslavMartinů #MariKodama & @MomoKodama88 @operamarseille

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/a-martinu-double-sister-act/ …

Ugh...the problem with that particular recording is do I really need another Rhapsody-Concerto? The answer is no, I really don’t. Also, I quite like the Hyperion series of the violin concerti (among other combinations), so I’ll just stick with those. I am, however, quite happy to see Martinů continually receive press and, more importantly, recordings. That’s always a good thing.