Author Topic: Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)  (Read 72834 times)

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
Re: Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)
« Reply #980 on: December 02, 2017, 05:32:51 AM »
Wohooo! New Martinu!

#morninglistening to @surprisedbeauty composer #Martinu on #mDG

Amazon: http://a-fwd.to/4eMLShx

Complete works for Cello and Orchestra w/#PetrNouzovsky, #PilsenPhilharmonic & #ThomasBrauner

#Martinů #classicalcdcollection #classicalmusic #classicalmu… http://ift.tt/2AMDfdB

What do you think of this release thus far, Jens?

Wow. FUNtastic, now that I've listened to the first disc three times and the second, twice. Very good Martinu and fine performances. A bit much grunting caught by the mikes, but that didn't discern me all that much. Great lyrical 2nd concerto; punchy first; Poulencesque Concertino for Cello, Piano, Percussion and Winds. Love it.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #981 on: December 02, 2017, 05:56:50 AM »
What do you think of this release thus far, Jens?

Wow. FUNtastic, now that I've listened to the first disc three times and the second, twice. Very good Martinu and fine performances. A bit much grunting caught by the mikes, but that didn't discern me all that much. Great lyrical 2nd concerto; punchy first; Poulencesque Concertino for Cello, Piano, Percussion and Winds. Love it.

Cool. 8) Great to hear, Jens.
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #982 on: December 02, 2017, 05:22:22 PM »
No love for the Oboe Concerto? ???
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #983 on: December 02, 2017, 07:20:24 PM »

It has an oboe in it.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #984 on: December 02, 2017, 07:25:06 PM »
It has an oboe in it.

Are you sure? :P

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #985 on: December 02, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »

I have to listen to it first. :D

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #986 on: December 02, 2017, 07:59:09 PM »

Offline Turner

• Veteran member
« Reply #987 on: December 02, 2017, 10:02:23 PM »

One of my few favourites for that instrument, like it is the case with his harpsichord concerto.
The heard recordings regarding these works are an important factor for appreciating them, I think.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #988 on: December 03, 2017, 06:50:58 AM »
One of my few favourites for that instrument, like it is the case with his harpsichord concerto.
The heard recordings regarding these works are an important factor for appreciating them, I think.

Yes, indeed. One of the best concertos for the oboe that I know.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #989 on: December 03, 2017, 12:56:28 PM »
A quick opinion of this recording that was recommended to me:

I didn’t enjoy this as much as I probably should have. I’ve only listened to the first sonata and found it a chore to get through. I love the work itself, but it was the performance that marred my enjoyment more than anything. I found Josef Chucho’s tone on the cello to be absolutely grating and lacking in richness. Josef Hala’s pianism is also something that I wasn’t too fond of either. Aside from the performance, the audio quality also left much to be desired. Sorry, Josquin13 I just can’t find any enthusiasm for this recording. I’m still in the Isserlis/Evans camp, but I do want to get the new BIS recording (w/ Mustonen on piano). Probably will pull the trigger on it momentarily. 8)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #990 on: December 04, 2017, 01:07:09 AM »
Don't know it John but like your new avatar image  :).
They reviewed the new 'Bouquet of Flowers' on BBC Radio Record Review 3 on Saturday but I did not hear. It.Must try to find it on 'catch up'. The Epic of Gilgamesh (new recording) featured in the 'Top 100 Records of the Year' in the Sunday Times yesterday.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #991 on: December 04, 2017, 07:43:50 AM »
Don't know it John but like your new avatar image  :).
They reviewed the new 'Bouquet of Flowers' on BBC Radio Record Review 3 on Saturday but I did not hear. It.Must try to find it on 'catch up'. The Epic of Gilgamesh (new recording) featured in the 'Top 100 Records of the Year' in the Sunday Times yesterday.

Excellent, Jeffrey. I had a hunch you’d like my new avatar. ;) The new recording of Bouquet of Flowers is excellent. I’ll have to see if I can go back and listen to that BBC review.

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #992 on: December 04, 2017, 08:27:12 AM »

I'm super under the weather and I meant to reply then, but, yes, the Oboe Concerto was one of my first great Martinu loves. I've recommended it before and I think this piece came up in one of our first Martinu conversations, John. Great stuff.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #993 on: December 04, 2017, 08:46:30 AM »
I'm super under the weather and I meant to reply then, but, yes, the Oboe Concerto was one of my first great Martinu loves. I've recommended it before and I think this piece came up in one of our first Martinu conversations, John. Great stuff.

Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well, DD. Hope you recover quickly. My memory of our conversation slips me, but nice to know you love the piece as well. 8)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #994 on: December 04, 2017, 08:48:42 AM »

Hope you feel better soon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #995 on: December 04, 2017, 08:57:07 AM »
Sorry to hear you’re not feeling well, DD. Hope you recover quickly. My memory of our conversation slips me, but nice to know you love the piece as well. 8)

It starts here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,13.msg686488.html#msg686488
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

• Veteran member
« Reply #996 on: December 04, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »
And thanks for the well wishes, you guys. :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #997 on: December 04, 2017, 09:15:02 AM »
It starts here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,13.msg686488.html#msg686488

Thanks. :) Wow...four years ago. Seems like I just posted about this the other day. Time sure does fly.

Parsifal

« Reply #998 on: December 04, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
Poking around and saw that the Martinu Cello Sonatas have also been recorded by Starker and Firkunsy. Anyone familiar with this recordings. (I have Isserlis in this repertoire, un-listened-to as yet.)

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #999 on: December 08, 2017, 08:19:47 AM »
Happy 127th, Bohuslav Martinů! You hardly look a day over 29!

8)

--Bruce
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.
     ~ Gustav Mahler

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK