Author Topic: Bach's Cello Suites  (Read 94878 times)

Offline ShineyMcShineShine

Re: Bach's Cello Suites
« Reply #540 on: February 12, 2018, 09:19:23 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good dry recording of the cello suites? I have Jaap ter Linden's and I don't like the reverb. Same goes for Bylsma's.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach, Chopin, Liszt, Brahms, Debussy
« Reply #541 on: February 12, 2018, 09:35:58 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good dry recording of the cello suites? I have Jaap ter Linden's and I don't like the reverb. Same goes for Bylsma's.

This is a good set, imo, with dry acoustic.

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #542 on: March 27, 2018, 09:32:11 AM »
Listened to up to 3/allemande. I don't see any particular reason to prefer this recording to any other average recording.

This is regarding the new Demenga on ECM.  I almost think ECM New Series can do no wrong, but I was really disappointed in this.  Very average at best.  Nothing to differentiate the performance other than some intonation issues. 

Regards,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #543 on: March 27, 2018, 09:41:34 AM »
I find it amazing that recordings of these works have proliferated so in recent years.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #544 on: March 27, 2018, 12:12:40 PM »
  Nothing to differentiate the performance other than some intonation issues. 

Regards,

I find him less song like and more speech like than many other cellists. Listen, for example, not the allemande of 3, but to the sarabande.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #545 on: March 27, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »
I find it amazing that recordings of these works have proliferated so in recent years.

Yes, the cello suites may be the most recorded Bach-works to day. There are f.i. more recordings of the cello suites than there are of the Brandenburg concertos.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #546 on: March 27, 2018, 10:10:23 PM »
I've listened to Demenga's new recording of ECM suites again and more closely than before, I love them for the bowing, the restraint, the rhythms, and for the quiet and gruff cello sound.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #547 on: March 27, 2018, 10:53:34 PM »
I've listened to Demenga's new recording of ECM suites again and more closely than before, I love them for the bowing, the restraint, the rhythms, and for the quiet and gruff cello sound.

+1

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #548 on: March 29, 2018, 07:29:52 AM »

That's cool.  My opinion was merely that, and whether I like a specific recording or not is moot really.  What I do like is that there are so many recordings of this miraculous work of art, and that each brings differing detail or considerations.  All new versions and recordings are quite welcomed in these quarters.

Regards,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #549 on: April 08, 2018, 02:14:23 AM »

This recording of two suites by Sadao Udagawa is an excercise in imagination and in style. He has fantasised that there was a manuscript for unaccompanied viol suites written by Bach, given to Friedrich Wilhelm II by CPE Bach and performed by Forqueray in a "feminine and rounded" way. He calls this style rococo, and it's what he's attempted to do on the CD.

The result is totally disorientating. It's slow, but that's maybe something that brings rewards, only time will tell.  At the moment I'm not sure that there's anything to be gained by joining Udagawa on his poetical adventure. I am not able to say whether it's more than just a grotesque curiosity.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #550 on: April 08, 2018, 04:00:15 AM »

This recording of two suites by Sadao Udagawa is an excercise in imagination and in style. He has fantasised that there was a manuscript for unaccompanied viol suites written by Bach, given to Friedrich Wilhelm II by CPE Bach and performed by Forqueray in a "feminine and rounded" way. He calls this style rococo, and it's what he's attempted to do on the CD.

The result is totally disorientating. It's slow, but that's maybe something that brings rewards, only time will tell.  At the moment I'm not sure that there's anything to be gained by joining Udagawa on his poetical adventure. I am not able to say whether it's more than just a grotesque curiosity.

I sampled the tracks on Amazon and was interested in what I heard, but will wait on purchasing.  There appears to be something of a trend in more recent Bach recordings which demonstrate slower, looser and, for lack of a better term, atypical interpretations of Bach: Anton Batagov, Wolfgang Rubsam, Viola de Hoog, Thomas Demenga (atypical in other ways), Gunar Letzbor.  And I've noticed that while I "love" them on first hearing over time they lose much of their attraction.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #551 on: April 08, 2018, 05:55:07 AM »

By the way I noticed an interesting point in common between Letzbor's solo Beethoven and Beghin's "Hearing Machine" -- they both think it's interesting, revealing,  to present the music on the recording from the player's point of view, rather than from the perspective of an audience.

Re Sadao Udagawa, I think you're probably very sensible to keep your money in your pocket. In fact, I have a rule to never buy anything if it's available high quality streaming.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #552 on: April 08, 2018, 07:05:53 AM »
By the way I noticed an interesting point in common between Letzbor's solo Beethoven and Beghin's "Hearing Machine" -- they both think it's interesting, revealing,  to present the music on the recording from the player's point of view, rather than from the perspective of an audience.

Re Sadao Udagawa, I think you're probably very sensible to keep your money in your pocket. In fact, I have a rule to never buy anything if it's available high quality streaming.

I didn't find it available to stream; which is why I would even consider buying it.  Where did you find it?

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #553 on: April 08, 2018, 08:12:40 AM »
Qobuz.

The label, Waon, seems to comprise entirely of "characterful" Japanese performers of early music.

kishnevi

« Reply #554 on: April 08, 2018, 08:18:41 AM »

You mean, I assume, Letzbor's solo Bach....

[Back of milk carton: HAVE YOU SEEN ME?  GMG EDIT FUNCTION.   LAST KNOWN LOCATION CANBERRA  APRIL 3]

I suppose you might think of the idea as being the performer playing only for himself, with no audience to please....