Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 8441812 times)

Madiel and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Ghost of Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #136080 on: Today at 05:35:39 PM »
Yes it’s variable. Jennifer Smith is bad. There’s no getting away from it. And volume 4 is the one where she gets her most significant work.

There’s also a man named Fouchecourt who is not to everyone’s taste, I think he’s okay because his light voice is chosen for songs where that works, but he’s not really more than “okay”.

Everyone else I think is good.

I do have some doubts about the pianist, rather than the singers, when it comes to some late songs though... but that depends on finding BETTER. There’s the Dietschy/Cassard album that I’m head over heels in love with of course, but apart from that I’m yet to find anyone who really nails the kind of smooth flow I think the music needs.

I’ve sampled a couple of other series of Faure melodies and if anything I’ve been less satisfied with the singers, not more.

Less satisfied, not more even with the Sousa’s Ameling collection?
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The lark ascending into the distant horizon
« Reply #136081 on: Today at 06:11:46 PM »
Continuing my traversal of RVW’s symphonies with Thomson’s amazing Chandos cycle:

A London Symphony (“Symphony No. 2”)
Bryden Thomson, conductor
London Symphony Orchestra

“In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #136082 on: Today at 06:17:25 PM »
CD 2 Numbers 4-6 (Opp. 7, 10/1, 10/2)

Online Ghost of Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #136083 on: Today at 06:23:44 PM »
CD 2 Numbers 4-6 (Opp. 7, 10/1, 10/2)

I think that set is truly superb for the early and middle sonatas and perhaps doesn’t quite nail the late sonatas.
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Online Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #136084 on: Today at 07:18:07 PM »
Mozart

Beautiful.  I even like No. 40, not one of my favorites, more than I usually do.  Don't worry, modern instruments, no straight tone playing, and the symphonies are not turned into timpani concertos, though the timpani are captured well.

Online Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #136085 on: Today at 07:23:17 PM »
Less satisfied, not more even with the Sousa’s Ameling collection?

I am so-so on Ameling. In that case let’s just say not MORE satisfied.  Certainly not bad but when I’m actively looking for improvement I wasn’t entirely convinced I was getting it.

And the other issue is sound quality of an older recording.

Also it should be said that when I was specifically looking at Chanson d’Eve, where Jennifer Smith’s Hyperion contribution is at its most dispiriting, Dietschy just knocked everyone else out of contention. For opuses that Dietschy doesn’t sing I might return to Ameling.
« Last Edit: Today at 07:26:10 PM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #136086 on: Today at 07:38:10 PM »
Yes it’s variable. Jennifer Smith is bad. There’s no getting away from it. And volume 4 is the one where she gets her most significant work.

There’s also a man named Fouchecourt who is not to everyone’s taste, I think he’s okay because his light voice is chosen for songs where that works, but he’s not really more than “okay”.

Everyone else I think is good.

I do have some doubts about the pianist, rather than the singers, when it comes to some late songs though... but that depends on finding BETTER. There’s the Dietschy/Cassard album that I’m head over heels in love with of course, but apart from that I’m yet to find anyone who really nails the kind of smooth flow I think the music needs.

I’ve sampled a couple of other series of Faure melodies and if anything I’ve been less satisfied with the singers, not more.

Thanks for the feedback, Madiel. Think I’ll pass on the Hyperion series.
“In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #136087 on: Today at 07:39:12 PM »

I’m of two minds about Belshazzar’s Feast. I love the orchestral writing with its plentiful brass and percussion. OTOH the top-heavy choral writing, with sopranos and tenors often shouting at the top of their register grates my nerves. The Writing on the Wall scene is very well done here. The symphony is given a spacious, highly detailed interpretation and the recorded sound is top notch: immediate, very clear, detailed, with a wide dynamic range. Davis’ view of the work is dynamic, almost balletic.

I’ve always liked this recording and thought Davis did a fine job in both works. Of course, Vandermolen (Jeffrey) isn’t a fan of Davis and I’m not really either, but I do feel his Walton is noteworthy and certainly worth hearing.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #136088 on: Today at 08:39:33 PM »
Fortuna Desperata: Gothic & Renaissance Organ Music
Daniel Beilschmidt et al.
Genuin

Purchased some time ago after a recommendation from, I think, Mandryka.  Excellent!

Definitely looks interesting!  :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #136089 on: Today at 08:41:18 PM »
Morning listening - still in a Scarlatti mood...  :D

Q
À chacun son goût.