Author Topic: The Early Music Club (EMC)  (Read 144716 times)

Offline sanantonio

• Veteran member
    • My blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    9th-16th c. | 20th-21st c.
Re: The Early Music Club (EMC)
« Reply #1020 on: February 28, 2017, 02:57:20 AM »
For me it realy depends on type of composer and type of work. As a rule of thumb any anything that predates Renaissance preferably OVPP, I agree.
In Renaissance the Franco-Flemish repertoire often works best in OVPP, particularly the motets. So do the motets by Lassus for instance. Or small setings by Sweelinck.

In Spanish, Italian and English repertoire larger forces work well, but I definitely prefer madrigals with smaller forces. To give a post-Renaisance example: I have the Italian madrigals by Schtz performed two voices per part (Orlando di Lasso Ensemble/Thorofon) - wouldn't want it any other way... :)

Q

I don't know those Schtz works (should look them up) but I do think of madrigals (maybe secular works in general) as being for solo voices (with some flexibility, i.e. OVPP or 2VPP, or even one voice with instrumental accompaniment).  My earlier post was concerning sacred music, masses specifically, and having a definite preference for solo voices in Medieval and larger groups for the Renaissance masses. 

But you're right - it is related also to the type of work not necessarily a period specific thing.

Offline sanantonio

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #1021 on: February 28, 2017, 06:32:17 AM »
I don't know if this will confuse or clarify what I have been trying to say, but ...

Palestrina : Missa Beata virgine I
Sergio Vartolo | Bologna Cappella Musicale di St. Petronio 

Sergio Vartolo has recorded more than a dozen Palestrina masses in solo voice male group performances, some with discreet organ accompaniment.  I like all the ones I've heard very much - the men singers are excellent and the polyphony is crystal clear offering the best way to appreciate Palestrina's craft. 

Some of the masses appear on Naxos but most, ten Mantuan masses, were released on Bongiovanni and quickly went OOP.  It can be confusing since Missa sine nomine appears on both iterations, but the Naxos mass is for 6 voices whereas the other recording is of the 4 voice mass.  Similarly the Beata virgine I, which shows up on both sets, are different recordings.

So, yes, I think Palestrina done OVPP is fantastic.  I guess my discovery regarding my own preferences is that while I really only want to hear Medieval works done OVPP,  Renaissance masses sound good to me with OVPP or a mid-size ensemble or full choir. 

Offline sanantonio

• Veteran member
    • My blog
« Reply #1022 on: February 28, 2017, 12:57:18 PM »
Nice video of The Sound and the Fury singing Pierre de la Rue

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/r0XxREaz_JU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/r0XxREaz_JU</a>

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
    Heavy breathing and sirens
« Reply #1023 on: March 03, 2017, 01:09:51 AM »
Found Gesualdo on my mind tonight and listening to him now, his music is so divine. I can't help thinking about space, the "heavens" and a lot of existential stuff with his music, there's a profundity not too unlike Stockhausen's mid-late works.

I'll probably already know some of your suggestions but what do you recommend as far as unpredictable, chromatic and majestic early music?  :)
Coffee, Contemporary classical, Cheeseburger, Women, Lasagna, Cinema  8)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1024 on: March 05, 2017, 12:57:11 AM »
Found Gesualdo on my mind tonight and listening to him now, his music is so divine. I can't help thinking about space, the "heavens" and a lot of existential stuff with his music, there's a profundity not too unlike Stockhausen's mid-late works.

I'll probably already know some of your suggestions but what do you recommend as far as unpredictable, chromatic and majestic early music?  :)

I've been asked this question before by someone who loved Gesualdo's most chromatic music, and it's really hard to answer just because Gesualdo in that mode is a sort of extreme case. You could listen to madrigals by Luca Marenzio and the earlier books of madrigals by Monteverdi,  but they aren't as shocking as Gesualdo (though I have to say that I enjoy Marenzio and Monteverdi more than Gesualdo.)

One line worth exploring is the movement called Ars Subtilior, if you search it in this forum you'll see a certain amount of discussion. Composers like Solages. This music was experimental both rhythmically and harmonically, and in a decent performance you should hear the same sense of pushing boundaries that you hear in some Gesualdo.

If you want to check early instrumental music which explores chromaticism, let me know and I'll think about it.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 12:59:37 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darber muss man schweigen

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #1025 on: March 05, 2017, 03:11:02 AM »

Orlando di Lasso's Prophetiae Sibyllarum
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Online HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #1026 on: March 05, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »

This set is worthy of a purchase, alien:

Also, have you heard John Zorn's madrigal recording?  I think you would like it very much.

Cheers!  :)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #1027 on: March 05, 2017, 07:20:36 PM »
If you want to check early instrumental music which explores chromaticism, let me know and I'll think about it.

Oh yes please Mandryka! Any suggestions are appreciated  :)

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #1028 on: March 05, 2017, 07:21:40 PM »
This set is worthy of a purchase, alien:

Also, have you heard John Zorn's madrigal recording?  I think you would like it very much.

Cheers!  :)

I'll check the set out, thanks

Yes, of course I have the Zorn CD  8)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1029 on: March 06, 2017, 03:28:29 AM »
Oh yes please Mandryka! Any suggestions are appreciated  :)

Try Christopher Stembridge's recording called "Consonanze Stravaganti"

Offline chord

• Compass Classical Music
« Reply #1030 on: March 06, 2017, 01:59:02 PM »
It's a Balestracci's one.
Outstanding.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1031 on: March 06, 2017, 02:48:33 PM »
It's a Balestracci's one.
Outstanding.

I shall try to hear it as what little I've heard of Italian viol music I've liked.

I was thinking of suggesting to Thatfabulousalien some music for Lyra Viol, maybe he would appreciate some of the things in the Naxos recording of The Manchester Viol Book, or some of the Lyra Viol music Dunford and Savall recorded.

By the way, I very much enjoyed that Mexican Mass recording by The Harp Consort you posted the other day, I'd never heard it before.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 02:50:11 PM by Mandryka »

Offline chord

« Reply #1032 on: March 07, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »
Please be careful, it's not a conventional approach.
That part of Spanish Kingdom - I mean Naples - was really non-conventional part of the Early Music empire either.

Here is a Pergolesi's Stabat Mater, I say 'non-conventional' and I say 'excellent'.
I wrote a detailed article about it; I am afraid you won't understand...
http://komolyzeneiajanlo.blogspot.hu/2016/09/feljegyzesek-egy-kapucinus-kolostorbol.html

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1033 on: March 09, 2017, 01:09:39 PM »
Please be careful, it's not a conventional approach.

I see what you mean. Thanks for leading me to it.

I am afraid you won't understand...

I regret to say that you are right.

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #1034 on: March 13, 2017, 05:51:51 PM »
An interesting new CD coming from Musica Fiata of Monteverdi's Vespers - of 1650, not 1610:

I found this info on Presto Classical:

Claudio Monteverdi, whose 450th birthday is being celebrated by the world of classical music in 2017, was one of the most important composers in the history of music. His impressive output had a major influence on the course of music history and still thrills listeners today with the incomparable quality of his compositions. One of his greatest sacred works is Vespro della Beata Vergine from 1610, yet there is another excellent work which has been overlooked until today: the Vespers for the Blessed Virgin from 1650. This work stands out for its wide range of affects, astounding vocal and instrumental combinations, its richness of virtuoso coloraturas as well as its stark musical contrasts. In this setting, Monteverdi creates a unique connection between the polyphonic style of the Renaissance and the wide range of affects characteristic of Baroque style. In addition, a special feature of this work is that instead of the antiphons customary at the time, the music publisher Alessandro Vincenti added not only Monteverdis Motets from 1624, but also five outstanding works by contemporary composers: Giovanni Rigotti (16131648), Alessandro Grandi (15771630) und Massimiliano Neri (16231673). This recording by the singers and musicians of Capella Ducale and Musica Fiata directed by Roland Wilson makes an outstanding contribution to Monteverdis 450th birthday.

Online Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #1035 on: March 16, 2017, 08:05:28 PM »
Cross post from the Listening thread

Well recorded, and the minimal forces (OVPP, I'm pretty sure) make the melodic and contrapuntal lines very clear to the ear.  Buy it, listen to it, put some paper over the cover so you can forget how ugly the cover is.

Offline chord

« Reply #1036 on: March 20, 2017, 06:45:43 AM »

Offline α |

• Veteran member
« Reply #1037 on: March 22, 2017, 12:08:24 AM »
I'm starting to be really interested in Oswald Von Wolkenstein's music  :)

I've heard a bunch of his pieces/works on YouTube and they have quite a big replay value  8)

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #1038 on: March 22, 2017, 05:08:57 AM »
I'm starting to be really interested in Oswald Von Wolkenstein's music  :)

I've heard a bunch of his pieces/works on YouTube and they have quite a big replay value  8)

This CD is well worth picking up if you can find it at a reasonable price:

Sequentia seem to have a reputation as pretty much the gold standard in Medieval music performance, and I can see why. Not a single recording I've heard by them has been anything less than excellent.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #1039 on: March 22, 2017, 06:05:16 AM »
This CD is well worth picking up if you can find it at a reasonable price:

Sequentia seem to have a reputation as pretty much the gold standard in Medieval music performance, and I can see why. Not a single recording I've heard by them has been anything less than excellent.

It is contained in this nice box, which soon may be OOP:

https://www.amazon.de/Sequentia-Various/dp/B00LJGAMYI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1490191364&sr=1-1&keywords=sequentia
res severa verum gaudium

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK