Author Topic: The Early Music Club (EMC)  (Read 136847 times)

Offline Mr. Minnow

Re: The Early Music Club (EMC)
« Reply #1040 on: March 22, 2017, 06:58:56 AM »
It is contained in this nice box, which soon may be OOP:

https://www.amazon.de/Sequentia-Various/dp/B00LJGAMYI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1490191364&sr=1-1&keywords=sequentia

It is in that set, but I believe those DHM boxes include no notes, and, more importantly, no sung texts or translations. That's something I always find really annoying, as it makes it impossible to know what on earth the songs are about. That makes for very frustrating listening. I can understand it on a disc of mass settings, as the Latin text and English translation are easy enough to find, but with most early music discs that's not going to be the case. Imagine listening to the Bordesholmer Marienklage from the Sequentia box with no text in front of you - it's ridiculous, but sadly it's become increasingly common.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1041 on: March 24, 2017, 10:00:26 AM »
I'm starting to be really interested in Oswald Von Wolkenstein's music  :)

I've heard a bunch of his pieces/works on YouTube and they have quite a big replay value  8)

I have two things to say about Wolkenstein. One is that it really helped me to look at the texts. Some of the music I like the most are long autobiographical songs and it's great to follow the events in his life as he sings  them.

And second there's a bloke who sings them with a hurdy-gurdy who's really memorable, called Eberhard Kummer. You may also enjoy studio der fruhen musik's recording and Rainer Bohm's Ensemble Alta Musica Wolkenstein Cd. I can't remember the sequential CD above, I may never have heard it in fact. I'll dig it out later.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 10:05:20 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline J.II.9

« Reply #1042 on: April 05, 2017, 12:27:47 PM »

I'm not able to not take a listen of any of these records at least once every week. This is the medieval music sang in a way I really adore: lively and with honest passion. Recording quality is excellent. Often in recordings of this repertoire voices are drowned in reverb but thankfully, this records are completely free of this. Other examples of this close-microphone sound could be: Dufay recordings by Ensemble Musica Nova or by Cut Circle (both recommended).

Unfortunately, only 3 volumes of Conductus were planned (which is understandable since this kind of music is a perfect example of niche of music business). I think, I know all tracks of by heart now.

Offline Artran

« Reply #1043 on: April 10, 2017, 03:55:22 AM »
What's your sources of translated medieval and renaissance motets, chansons etc.? I'm digging through these periods, but because I'm on Spotify I don't have CD booklets (which kinda sucks).

EDIT:
I've just discovered that Hyperion Records is a great source of original texts and the translations. For every vocal or choral track is available an original text and the translation can be viewed alongside. This is how every record label should do it. It's perfect!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 01:04:14 AM by Artran »

Offline mszczuj

• Veteran member
« Reply #1044 on: April 19, 2017, 03:23:10 AM »
I'm looking for the booklet of this release:

https://www.discogs.com/Capella-Antiqua-M%C3%BCnchen-Konrad-Ruhland-Ars-Antiqua-Organum-Motette-Conductus-Fr%C3%BChe-Mehrstimmigkeit/release/10070820

I need information about sources and performers of all the tracks,  if there are any in it, as I have got my box without a booklet.

Could anybody help me?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:12:40 AM by Que »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #1045 on: April 19, 2017, 09:14:43 AM »

I need information about sources and performers of all the tracks,  if there are any in it, as I have got my box without a booklet.

Could anybody help me?

Voilá.... :)

http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/tld9530.htm

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline mszczuj

• Veteran member
« Reply #1046 on: April 19, 2017, 11:57:41 PM »
Voilá.... :)

http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/tld9530.htm

Q

Thank you Que, its useful but I still hope to find the readable version of this:

I suppose that the last lines in descriptions of single tracks are about manuscripts which are sources of them.

Offline JCBuckley

« Reply #1047 on: April 20, 2017, 12:37:52 AM »

Offline mszczuj

• Veteran member
« Reply #1048 on: April 20, 2017, 03:47:16 AM »
How about this? -  https://www.flickr.com/photos/hansthijs/27043358701/

Still not exactly what I'm looking for, as it is information I've got from there: http://www.worldcat.org/title/ars-antiqua-fruhe-mehrstimmigkeit-organum-motette-conductus/oclc/870099177 but at least somebody who once had got the booklet!

Thank you!

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #1049 on: April 24, 2017, 04:12:07 PM »
Due out later this week, The Sixteen's Selva Morale CDs released as a set:

Anyone familiar with these discs and how they compare to other recordings? I'd also be interested to know what The Sixteen's Vespers is like.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #1050 on: April 28, 2017, 04:53:13 AM »
Thank you Que, its useful but I still hope to find the readable version of this:

I suppose that the last lines in descriptions of single tracks are about manuscripts which are sources of them.

Just zoom in there ... or open it here - hard to read the bottom lines, but the rest is pretty okay:
https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTEyOVgxNjAw/z/NAYAAOSwYmZXEOqh/$/SAWT-9530-31-Ars-Antiqua-Fruhe-Mehrstimmigkeit-Konrad-_57.jpg
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Online TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #1051 on: May 09, 2017, 05:04:20 PM »
Only went back a few pages, so I apologize if it's been discussed before...
I recently purchased this disc and have instantly fallen in love with it...

I haven't heard the recording by Cinquecento on Hyperion, is it worth the buy? How is it compared to the Huelgas Ensemble?

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
  • So much to listen, so little time...
    • Harry's classical music corner
« Reply #1052 on: May 09, 2017, 10:37:44 PM »
Only went back a few pages, so I apologize if it's been discussed before...
I recently purchased this disc and have instantly fallen in love with it...

I haven't heard the recording by Cinquecento on Hyperion, is it worth the buy? How is it compared to the Huelgas Ensemble?

Both interpretations are worthwhile to have. I have to say that after comparing, the van Nevel is the best choice. He simply lets the music breath more, and the intensity of singing has more spiritual baggage. His choir has a better balance. There is a sort of breathless immediacy, and subtlety, that gets you by the throat.  Refinement is also part of the success of the Huelgas ensemble. Mystic contemplation to the extreme. Better buy them both.
You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
« Reply #1053 on: May 09, 2017, 10:40:23 PM »
Due out later this week, The Sixteen's Selva Morale CDs released as a set:

Anyone familiar with these discs and how they compare to other recordings? I'd also be interested to know what The Sixteen's Vespers is like.

The singing culture of the Sixteen is a acquired taste. First sample if you find that to your liking. Harry Christopher has some unusual approach towards the use of females in his choir, and the way he works with dynamics.
You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

Online TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #1054 on: May 10, 2017, 02:49:41 AM »
Both interpretations are worthwhile to have. I have to say that after comparing, the van Nevel is the best choice. He simply lets the music breath more, and the intensity of singing has more spiritual baggage. His choir has a better balance. There is a sort of breathless immediacy, and subtlety, that gets you by the throat.  Refinement is also part of the success of the Huelgas ensemble. Mystic contemplation to the extreme. Better buy them both.

Thanks, Harry, for your response.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #1055 on: May 10, 2017, 03:39:54 AM »
I haven't heard the Huelgas Ensemble disc, Greg, but that Cinquecento disc is wonderful, and not just for the Requiem, but the other pieces by Josquin & others. I'd like to know what Harry means by the Huelgas having a better balance - the Cinquecento recording has each voice of the polyphony audible, and, really, immediacy and subtlety are not something I find lacking in there either. Obviously the Huelgas will have a 'fuller' sound. But take a listen to the samples.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Online TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #1056 on: May 10, 2017, 03:47:02 AM »
I haven't heard the Huelgas Ensemble disc, Greg, but that Cinquecento disc is wonderful, and not just for the Requiem, but the other pieces by Josquin & others. I'd like to know what Harry means by the Huelgas having a better balance - the Cinquecento recording has each voice of the polyphony audible, and, really, immediacy and subtlety are not something I find lacking in there either. Obviously the Huelgas will have a 'fuller' sound. But take a listen to the samples.

Thanks for the samples, Karlo. I'm fairly sure ill order the Cinquecento recording soon.

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
« Reply #1057 on: May 10, 2017, 03:57:00 AM »

First of all I have the Cinquecento recording too, and I confirm you opinion about them. What I meant with a better balance in the Huelgas ensemble, is the balanced between the individual voices, and their tonal blending. I have a slight preference for it. But this said I think one should have both recordings.

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #1058 on: May 10, 2017, 04:02:53 PM »
Quote from: Harry's corner
The singing culture of the Sixteen is a acquired taste. First sample if you find that to your liking. Harry Christopher has some unusual approach towards the use of females in his choir, and the way he works with dynamics.

Thanks for the reply. I have Christophers' much earlier Vespers (the one on Hyperion) and I quite like it, but it uses a very unusual performing edition and may not be directly comparable to other versions. I have a lot of recordings of the Vespers and several Selva Morale sets, so shelling out for Christophers' sets would only be worth it if I thought they were really outstanding. The samples I've heard sound good, but not that good. Maybe worth consideration if I see them going at a reduced price somewhere.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #1059 on: May 14, 2017, 12:23:11 AM »
A short note on this:

Despite a raving review by Amazons "Gio" aka Giordano Bruno, this misses for me the ultimate mark of total satisfaction, but only just.
Please read his review and the others linked below. This is another example of a trend away from "slow and reverential" and towards a very "up close and personal" style in OVP (one voice per part) and swift tempi. Which is generally fine by me, and I am impressed by this ensemble's vocal abilities and - in contrast the The Sound of the Fury - perfect balance and blending of voices.

I have however.... a few reservations. Firstly, some movements of the Ockeghem Requiem, which is here performed sec without liturgical context, seem to have transposed upwards. A practice defended/ explained in the booklet. The result is unfortunately at times a hooty countertenor feast....nothing against counter tenors in general but they shouldn't dominate.... This performance certainly doesn't make me forget the account by Ensemble Organum  (with added liturgical context on Harmonia Mundi). Last but not least, emotionally the performances are not very giving, touching, if you will. They are pretty stern and abstract, dour.. I've read in another comment, which seems to reflect my feelings best. This severity also applies to the performance of De la Rue's requiem, though for me that is much more enjoyable. Nevertheless I will seek out the recording by the Ensemble Janequin (Harmonia Mundi).

Other recent recordings by this ensemble have been praised more unanimously (also here),  so I'm not giving up in them yet.. .. :)

Review by Johan van Veen (combined with a critical review of a recording byThe Sound of the Fury) HERE
Fanfare review at ArkivMusic

Q
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 02:11:55 AM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK