Author Topic: The Early Music Club (EMC)  (Read 153159 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: The Early Music Club (EMC)
« Reply #1120 on: September 09, 2017, 08:04:24 AM »
Cross post from the Listening Thread....

Great music and performances throughout both vocally and instrumentally. Definitely worth investigating.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline millionrainbows

« Reply #1121 on: September 14, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »
Just got this yesterday. Very interesting for such old music. Lots of unexpected chord changes, and the occasional searing dissonance. Nice cover, what a handsome young man!

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
  • Currently Listening to:
    You
« Reply #1122 on: September 14, 2017, 10:51:40 PM »
Just got this yesterday. Very interesting for such old music. Lots of unexpected chord changes, and the occasional searing dissonance. Nice cover, what a handsome young man!

Desert island set right there!
Tell your Pugg to stop rubbing his balls of my carpet, I just sprayed some nasty chemicals there.

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #1123 on: September 19, 2017, 06:03:51 AM »
Anyone here got this yet?

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1124 on: September 19, 2017, 08:00:15 AM »
Anyone here got this yet?

It's a holistic concept CD

In the same way that works of art are framed with the greatest of care, we have taken great pains to find musical frames for the works recorded here; these frames at times introduce the works, at times interconnect them and at times bring something new out of them. Even more important, they act as an invitation to music so that the ears and the conscious mind can be fully awake and liberated at the moment that the art in question first appears.

These frames are specially composed or improvised.

They say something really enigmatic in the booklet

[when preparing le ray au soleil] One experiment led to another, with the result that Le ray au soleyl gradually became the central work of the programme.

It's enigmatic because le ray au soleil is the last song on the CD. Their treatment of it is extraordinary for the way they use instruments, I could hardly believe my ears, it's like Pink Floyd.

There's one song on it which I think has never been recorded before, oncques ne fu si dure partie (Anon). The performance is astonishing on the phrase "Oci, oci, oci: ce cri perfide me dit" Apparently oci is both a bird call and means "kill!"

Julia van Landsberg has a very high tessiture.

Fumeux fume par fume is given the familiar quasi-dope-smoky treatment.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:14:13 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darber muss man schweigen

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #1125 on: September 19, 2017, 08:12:57 AM »
It's a holistic concept CD

These frames are specially composed or improvised.

They say something really enigmatic in the booklet

It's enigmatic because le ray au soleil is the last song on the CD. Their treatment of it is extraordinary for the way they use instruments, I could hardly believe my ears, it's like Pink Floyd.

There's one song on it which I think has never been recorded before, oncques ne fu si dure partie (Anon).

Julia van Landsberg has a very high tessiture.

Fumeux fume par fume is given the familiar quasi-dope-smoky treatment.

Thanks. I'd read something about the musical "frames" so I assumed it would be a concept CD of some sort. Can't say I expected the Pink Floyd comparison though! When you say you "couldn't believe your ears", is that in a good or bad way? Don't get me wrong, I like (most) Pink Floyd, but whether it would work or not in this context is another matter. To be fair, the samples I've heard sound fine so I'm inclined to get this unless you say you thought it was really poor, which would give me pause for thought.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1126 on: September 19, 2017, 08:15:31 AM »
When you say you "couldn't believe your ears", is that in a good or bad way?

You've got to hear these things for yourself, the only question really is whether you can tolerate her voice. It's only about 10 seconds of Wish You Were Here.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darber muss man schweigen

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #1127 on: September 19, 2017, 08:19:58 AM »
You've got to hear these things for yourself, the only question really is whether you can tolerate her voice. It's only about 10 seconds of Wish You Were Here.

Her voice sounded OK to me on the samples and 10 seconds of Wish You Were Here doesn't sound like a problem! On to the shopping list it goes.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK