Author Topic: The Early Music Club (EMC)  (Read 168596 times)

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
Re: The Early Music Club (EMC)
« Reply #1160 on: February 12, 2018, 08:54:51 AM »
I'm going to listen to this today. But, I'm interested in what other recordings people recommend. So, would you say that organ and lute music would be the earliest music we can locate/perform with reasonable justifiability? Are there any recordings, perhaps with vocals, that have substantial instrumental accompaniment that people can recommend? The earliest organs were small chamber organs? I suppose I should go to the organ thread but I'm just curious how far back we can go exactly to find instrumental music and what instruments exist now for performance? Wikipedia says the Valère organ is the oldest. I shall also search for recordings on it.

This one is good:

Knights, Maids & Miracles : The Spring of Middle Ages
La Reverdie

And La reverdie has others of a similar nature.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1161 on: February 12, 2018, 07:00:45 PM »
This one is good:

La Reverdie

Thanks, I'm going to check it out!

Offline HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #1162 on: February 13, 2018, 02:04:24 PM »
This one is good:

La Reverdie

+1

Excellent recommendation!  :)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1163 on: February 13, 2018, 10:10:03 PM »
That recording from La Reverdie is well worth hearing, I agree. However, when it comes to combining voices and instruments, no one comes close to Mala Punica for me, somehow they create a texture of sounds which, to my ears, is rich and full of mystery.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #1164 on: February 14, 2018, 07:57:56 AM »
That recording from La Reverdie is well worth hearing, I agree. However, when it comes to combining voices and instruments, no one comes close to Mala Punica for me, somehow they create a texture of sounds which, to my ears, is rich and full of mystery.

Yes, Mala Punica is another very good suggestion for repertoire featuring vocals with instruments.  I especially enjoy this one of theirs:

Offline JCBuckley

« Reply #1165 on: February 14, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
Yes, Mala Punica is another very good suggestion for repertoire featuring vocals with instruments.  I especially enjoy this one of theirs:

I have this set, but can't say I listen to it often - I just haven't learned to love Jill Feldman's voice. Mea culpa. But the voice of Lena Susanne Norin, on the other hand:

« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:21:25 AM by JCBuckley »

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #1166 on: February 14, 2018, 11:20:52 AM »
I have this set, but can't say I listen to it often - I just haven't learned to love Jill Feldman's voice. Mea culpa. But the voice of Lena Susanne Norin, on the other hand:

I like them both, but had forgotten about that Figures of Harmony set.  Lots to listen to.  ;)

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #1167 on: February 15, 2018, 05:37:41 AM »

Antoine Brumel : Missa Berzerette savoyenne
Chanticleer

Takes its title and much of its distinctive material from a French chanson by Josquin des Prez.  This recording may be the only one, but I haven't looked.  It is good, Chanticleer is an all male group, which suits me perfectly.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK