Author Topic: Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Bicentennial Celebration!  (Read 14722 times)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Unfinshed symphony No. 6
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »
Greetings Gerd!

Welcome back!

I will need some time to peruse your score: many thanks for sharing it!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
Re: Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Bicentennial Celebration!
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2018, 10:53:59 PM »
What is the consensus on the Brilliant complete chamber music box?

I'm not aware of any consensus... but looking at the ingredients, it seems to be a very mixed bag, indeed. But Joan Berkhemer and the Trio he's in with Klara Wuertz are second rank but top-notch musicians whom I'd put some faith into giving very musical accounts. But the quartets and quintets, I wouldn't bank on top-notch stuff. But you would have those already in this MUST-MUST-MUST HAVE box, right?!?!  [The Re-Issue]

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Van Gogh - Flowers in a Blue Vase
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2018, 06:39:00 AM »
What is the consensus on the Brilliant complete chamber music box?

The consensus is just what any other composer's Brilliant complete chamber music box is: a mixed bag but at this price a no-brainer.  :D
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and upon which it is impossible to remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2018, 11:25:53 AM »
Much as I enjoy a lot of Mendelssohn’s music, I will admit that it rarely plumbs great emotional depths (which isn’t a bad thing). However, one exception is the powerful slow movement of his String Quintet no. 2, which has a grave, almost Bachian stateliness with its “walking bass” cello line. It rises to a climax of great emotional intensity not often found in Mendelssohn’s output.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2018, 12:46:14 AM »
Much as I enjoy a lot of Mendelssohn’s music, I will admit that it rarely plumbs great emotional depths (which isn’t a bad thing). However, one exception is the powerful slow movement of his String Quintet no. 2, which has a grave, almost Bachian stateliness with its “walking bass” cello line. It rises to a climax of great emotional intensity not often found in Mendelssohn’s output.

Also the string quartets, esp. the F Minor, which is a heartrending masterpiece the equal of anything ever composed for string quartet.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »
Also the string quartets, esp. the F Minor, which is a heartrending masterpiece the equal of anything ever composed for string quartet.

Yes, the F minor quartet is a great work as well. There’s also some poignant moments in his first two quartets.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2018, 04:57:58 AM »
I think that St. Paul is AT LEAST as good an oratorio as Elijah - and it has the benefit of not being about an ISIS-style religious fanatic mass murderer.

Latest on ClassicsToday:

Rilling’s Budget #Mendelssohn; A Reference St. Paul Oratorio At The Center

(insider)