Author Topic: Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)  (Read 36642 times)

Offline pjme

Re: Bohuslav Martinů (1890-1959)
« Reply #640 on: April 16, 2014, 11:49:58 PM »
Pianoconcerto's 4 & 5 cannot be missed and must be bought!

Eat and drink less, buy more cds.

>:D :P
Peter

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #641 on: April 18, 2014, 08:42:00 AM »
Hey, aren't you gonna tell us what it is? Don't keep us in suspense  >:(

It was that Vol.2 of the Hyperion series- 'Concerto da Camera', Concerto for Violin & Piano, and 'Czech Rhapsody'. If I was being generous I'd say that VC 2 was the only other work out of the bunch that had substance for me (just not my type of drama right now- autumn...), though, the Concerto for Flute & Violin had some felicitous interplay. I really am tickled that I found a new Martinu cache!- thankfully, that gives me the faith to move on from the '40s and '50s- I'm done discovering "normal" music for a while, and needed to shore up that Martinu.

Yea, wasn't really a 'deal' on it. >:(
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Velimir

• Veteran member
« Reply #642 on: April 18, 2014, 02:24:07 PM »
It was that Vol.2 of the Hyperion series- 'Concerto da Camera', Concerto for Violin & Piano, and 'Czech Rhapsody'.

LOL you disappoint me. That's a well-known and highly praised disc around here. Maybe there are no Martinu gems left for you to discover  :(
formerly SPITVALVE

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

Offline edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
« Reply #643 on: April 18, 2014, 03:02:58 PM »
LOL you disappoint me. That's a well-known and highly praised disc around here. Maybe there are no Martinu gems left for you to discover  :(
On the other hand, it's always good to reiterate just how good that disc is... definitely the best Martinu recording I've bought in many years.

"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #644 on: April 18, 2014, 03:15:50 PM »
On the other hand, it's always good to reiterate just how good that disc is... definitely the best Martinu recording I've bought in many years.

hey edward, could you please help me in the Penderecki Thrread?

Haydn-Sikh

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #645 on: April 22, 2014, 07:23:28 AM »

Well, I had some catching up to do! I've been listening, and what a great album! The Violin/Piano caught me off-guard by starting in the Minor, but, by the end of the first movement it was exactly as I had imagined- you can practically feel the late '40s, Hollywood type atmosphere- it's quite a classy piece!

And the 'Camera' is echt Martinu, as someone said, in his "relentless" mode. Have yet to meet the 'Czech Rhapsody'.

I checked Groves yesterday, and am now convinced that I do not have any more hidden gems to discover with Martinu (which is a good thing for the wallet!) Frankly, that disc alone up the prestige of my Martinu Library just right where I want it. Finally I can get out of the '40s, whew! (it was getting expensive!)

Haydn-Sikh

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #646 on: April 23, 2014, 08:10:25 AM »

Piano Concerto No.5

Right now the 4th, which I think is one of his best last-decade inspirations. But I know it a lot better. I've only heard the 5th a couple of times - a positive experience, but I must explore it further.

Had to finally listen all the way through PC 5. Well, 4 is is two movements, and it's style is very 'fantastique' in my mind, but No.5, 'Fantasie concertante', didn't really deliver the 'fantasia' for me in the outer movements (pretty standard, professional Late Martinu), BUT- the slow movement- yes!- the slow movement is quite a wonder, maybe the most perfectly realized Mozartean slow movement I've heard from the Neo-Classicists. I wasn't too convinced by the outer movements, but, wow, such 'rustic fantasy' in that slow movement, especially that "rustling" section.

Still, No.4 is awesome all the way through.

Violin Concerto No.2

I have come around on this one, help in large part by Ms. Faust's passionate performance on HarmoniaMundi. The cover art seems to concur with my feelings that this is a 'storm clouds' works- cautionary.

My new list of fav concertos:

1) Harpsichord Cto.
2) Piano Concerto No.4
3) Oboe Cto.
4) Violin Cto. 2
5) Concerto da camera
6) Cello Cto. 2
7) Piano Concerto No.5 (for the slow movement alone)
8) Cto. for Violin/Piano
9) Cto. for Violin/Flute
10) Double... or... String Quartet... or... Sinfonia Concertante (all on the Virgin/Hickox disc)

There, that's a pretty nice list, eh?

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Velimir

• Veteran member
« Reply #647 on: April 23, 2014, 09:57:21 AM »
BUT- the slow movement- yes!- the slow movement is quite a wonder, maybe the most perfectly realized Mozartean slow movement I've heard from the Neo-Classicists. I wasn't too convinced by the outer movements, but, wow, such 'rustic fantasy' in that slow movement, especially that "rustling" section.

I'll have to listen to it again. His slow mvts. are always wonderful. Do you know the one from the Concerto for 2 Pianos, or the Sinfonietta La Jolla? Particularly the latter is an enchanting "starry sky" nocturne-type adagio - similar to the one from Bartok's 3rd PC, but even better I think.
formerly SPITVALVE

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the screaming passengers in his car.

Offline legoru

« Reply #648 on: April 24, 2014, 05:55:44 AM »
Hi! Anybody like Martinu ballets? I think its a good stuff.
My favorite -
1. Checkmating the King, jazz-ballet in 2 act, H.186 (1930)/La Revue de Cuisine (Kitchen Revue), jazz ballet for clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, cello & piano, H. 161 (1927) Not suite! All ballet!
2. The Butterfly that Stamped (Motyl, ktery dupal), ballet in 1 act after Rudyard Kipling, H. 153 (1926) I like impressionism!
3. Spalicek (1933) Suite!
4. Le raid merveilleux (The Amazing Flight), a mechanical ballet without persons for 2 clarinets, trombone & string quartet, H. 159 (1927)

My top list:
Orchestral - Symphony #6, Les Fresques de Piero della Francesca, Les Parables, Estampes, Orchestral Suites from Juliette and Theatre Behind the Gate, Double concerto, Toccata e Due Canzoni
Vocal-Orchestral - Field mass (!), Magic Nights, Niponari, Kytice (Bouquet of Flowers)
Concertos -  Rhapsody, Oboe, Violin 2, Piano 4, Cello 2,
Chamber: Violin sonata #3, Chamber music No. 1, Flute sonata, Nonet, 1-3,7quartet, Fantaisie pour ondes Martenot, Piano quintet 1
Piano: Sonata, Puppettes, Preludes , Borova...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:57:19 AM by legoru »

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
    Leoš Janáček, Bohuslav Martinů
« Reply #649 on: April 24, 2014, 07:56:56 AM »
Love the ballets!

Nice choices, some of which I don't know (solo piano, string quartets, a couple of the others)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #650 on: April 24, 2014, 07:59:10 AM »
I'll have to listen to it again. His slow mvts. are always wonderful. Do you know the one from the Concerto for 2 Pianos, or the Sinfonietta La Jolla? Particularly the latter is an enchanting "starry sky" nocturne-type adagio - similar to the one from Bartok's 3rd PC, but even better I think.

I didn't bring 'la Jolla' with me yesterday- have to wait a week. Do get back to me concerning PC 5's slow mvmt.

My favorite -
1. Checkmating the King, jazz-ballet in 2 act, H.186 (1930)/La Revue de Cuisine (Kitchen Revue), jazz ballet for clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, cello & piano, H. 161 (1927) Not suite! All ballet!
2. The Butterfly that Stamped (Motyl, ktery dupal), ballet in 1 act after Rudyard Kipling, H. 153 (1926) I like impressionism!
3. Spalicek (1933) Suite!
4. Le raid merveilleux (The Amazing Flight), a mechanical ballet without persons for 2 clarinets, trombone & string quartet, H. 159 (1927)

My top list:
Orchestral - Symphony #6, Les Fresques de Piero della Francesca, Les Parables, Estampes, Orchestral Suites from Juliette and Theatre Behind the Gate, Double concerto, Toccata e Due Canzoni
Vocal-Orchestral - Field mass (!), Magic Nights, Niponari, Kytice (Bouquet of Flowers)
Concertos -  Rhapsody, Oboe, Violin 2, Piano 4, Cello 2,
Chamber: Violin sonata #3, Chamber music No. 1, Flute sonata, Nonet, 1-3,7quartet, Fantaisie pour ondes Martenot, Piano quintet 1
Piano: Sonata, Puppettes, Preludes , Borova...

Yes, it's starting to look like we all have the same ideas here!

Haydn-Sikh

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #651 on: April 24, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »

I thought the PC 5 and the Violin/Piano both had that very stately air, very Classical (and "good" Hollywood)- a little like the Hindemith of 'Nobliesse Visione' and 'The Four Temperments?

I had a few more Martinu questions before I embark:

1) I heard FP (PF?) Zimmermann play the VC2, and I really did enjoy the samples of Faust. I don't know what the question is?!?! :laugh:

2) Can anyone think of any more charming and excellent Martinu Chamber Music than the Duo (No.1) for violin and cello (and how it relates so well to Honegger and Ravel? And the String Sextet? Serenade No.2, and the 'Madrigal' piece...?... ...

3) Are there ANY other 'Serenades' other than the five that are on Supraphon? (non from the '50s as Grove stated?)

4) How essential is that Elan disc of 2Pianos?

5) I never liked the Cello Sonatas and didn't hear anything grabby when I sampled through the 'Complete Violin & Piano'. I'm not bent on getting that Naxos disc of Chamber Music (Viola Sonata, Piano Quartet) AGAIN-  Violin Flute Trio, eh- Cello Flute Trio, eh- Promenades, check,- other harpsichord pieces not so much- Piano, eh, I've got the Sonata (RCA) with the Concertos- other string duos, mm, eh,... Flute Sonata, check

I don't know, what should I go back to? Yes, I left the Piano Quintet off.

I'm hyperventilating again.... oooo....oooooo..... falling off tab.......

ok

6) I think that's it...

Haydn-Sikh

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #652 on: April 24, 2014, 12:57:07 PM »
7) 'The Rock'- how essential? I've tried to find the Supraphon with the Spitfire on the cover, to no avail. I wonder if that albums a lost classic! :o

'The Rock'

and

'Thunderdumpling X5'?

Haydn-Sikh

Offline legoru

« Reply #653 on: April 24, 2014, 10:10:37 PM »
The Rock - Ihave on this CD

it is even worse than the Estampes, but for fans of Martinu is important to have

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #654 on: April 25, 2014, 07:31:57 AM »

it is even worse than the Estampes, but for fans of Martinu is important to have

That's the one- the lost Martinu disc! :'( How are the pieces man?!!

Haydn-Sikh

Offline legoru

« Reply #655 on: April 25, 2014, 10:37:09 AM »
That's the one- the lost Martinu disc! :'( How are the pieces man?!!
see PM. And  vote for a five-point scale  8)

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #656 on: April 25, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »

Awesome! Thanks! Can't wait!

Haydn-Sikh

Offline legoru

« Reply #657 on: April 26, 2014, 12:56:18 AM »
Awesome! Thanks! Can't wait!
Not at all! Enjoy!

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #658 on: April 27, 2014, 03:36:13 PM »

My computer buddy and I were having no luck with that .nz site. Tried to download their 'extention', but it just wasn't taking. Do you have - as my friend said (forgive  him) "a link normal people can use?" haha- sorry, I can't even make a picture on GMG, so I'm not the computy wiz- Press Play is where I've been for a while- I know, I need to consider the next twenty years... mm....

Haydn-Sikh

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #659 on: April 28, 2014, 02:27:47 AM »

It's not a Spitfire, it's a P-47 Thunderbolt.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK