Author Topic: Christopher Gunning (b.1944) Symphonies, Concertos, and female Rippers  (Read 342 times)

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
Christopher Gunning (born 5 August 1944) is an English composer mostly known for his film and television scores (such as Hammer Film's Hands of the Ripper).  While they are perfectly adequate for their purpose, his tuneful "serious" music is what I am interested in.  A minor composer - but he does what he does well.

Symphony No.1
Symphony No.2
Symphony No.3
Symphony No.4
Symphony No.5

Birdflight, for orchestra
Storm!  for orchestra
Yorkshire Glory, for brass band or symphony orchestra

The Lobster

Concerto for Soprano Saxophone

Concerto for Oboe

Piano Concerto

Cello Concerto

Guitar Concerto

Clarinet Concerto

Flute Concerto

Violin Concerto

String Quartet (Nr.1)

Trio for Piano, Violin & Cello

Piano Sonata

Details about his compositions - in his own words - may be found at the website he maintains:

http://www.christopher-gunning.co.uk/discography/
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:27:44 AM by Scion7 »
If I could create an ideal world, it would be an England with the fire of the Elizabethans, the correct taste of the Georgians, and the refinement and pure ideals of the Victorians. - H.P. Lovecraft

Offline arpeggio

Re: Christopher Gunning (b.1944) Symphonies, Concertos, and female Rippers
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 12:22:49 PM »
Thanks.

I never cared for the Poirot theme.  It never worked for me.

But I checked out some of his concert works and I really connected with them.  Impressive symphonies.

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
Re: Christopher Gunning (b.1944)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 06:46:16 PM »

London Piano Trio w/Olga Dudnik

Diana Brekalo

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 01:17:05 AM by Scion7 »
If I could create an ideal world, it would be an England with the fire of the Elizabethans, the correct taste of the Georgians, and the refinement and pure ideals of the Victorians. - H.P. Lovecraft

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
Re: Christopher Gunning (b.1944)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 12:39:12 AM »

^ soprano saxophone concerto

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 01:02:48 AM by Scion7 »

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 12:46:16 AM »
A Hungarian Tale, for clarinet & piano:

The Lobster

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 12:49:32 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 12:57:02 AM by Scion7 »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 01:31:28 PM »
I have several of his symphonies and despite  all the hype find them totally unmemorable and overblown.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 02:49:08 PM »
I have several of his symphonies and despite  all the hype find them totally unmemorable and overblown.
+1  :-[
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 02:04:57 AM »

I prefer the chamber pieces that I have heard, and the concerti.
The Lobster is interesting as a diversion from time to (much extended) time.  ;D 

Online cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 04:26:14 AM »
Interesting! And when I think of the rave reviews I've ploughed through for his symphonies in various publications. I've been tempted for than once. Coming from you and knowing your tastes in music I won't bother with this one. A good thing for my bank balance,though as he's composed quite a few! :) I could spend the money on something else,anyway. I keep being tempted by that Chandos Brian Easdale cd,for instance. He composed the music for the film,'The Red Shoes'. I'm sure you know! ;D There are others of course. It's just one of these cds I have on a sort of list,but never seem to buy.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Harrowing cries from across a war-torn landscape
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 07:21:09 AM »
I heard one work from Gunning (forget which one --- one of his symphonies I believe) and I found it dreadfully boring and I don't even believe I finished it. Not a composer I'm interested in exploring that's for sure!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 02:12:11 PM by Mirror Image »
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 11:47:11 AM »
Interesting! And when I think of the rave reviews I've ploughed through for his symphonies in various publications. I've been tempted for than once. Coming from you and knowing your tastes in music I won't bother with this one.

You can find just about his entire output on YouTube if you want to sample it.
I would suggest the Piano Trio to start.

Offline relm1

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 01:48:56 PM »
I really like his music to Cold Lazarus. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-vRSMn2Pug

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 02:26:50 PM »
Interesting! And when I think of the rave reviews I've ploughed through for his symphonies in various publications. I've been tempted for than once. Coming from you and knowing your tastes in music I won't bother with this one. A good thing for my bank balance,though as he's composed quite a few! :) I could spend the money on something else,anyway. I keep being tempted by that Chandos Brian Easdale cd,for instance. He composed the music for the film,'The Red Shoes'. I'm sure you know! ;D There are others of course. It's just one of these cds I have on a sort of list,but never seem to buy.
Yes, I'd save yourself the money and stick with the Easdale.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK