Author Topic: Gösta Nystroem (1890-1966), an unjustly forgotten Swede  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • private recital for Scion
Re: Gösta Nystroem (1890-1966), an unjustly forgotten Swede
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2015, 06:58:27 AM »
Well he's not exactly forgotten - many pieces have been recorded and are available.  :-)

He's lucky not to have been a victim of having his music suppressed, like Johanna Senfter, whose large volume of published and privately-published chamber music, among other things, languishes in the vaults instead of joining the front ranks of female composers.

His sea symphony will be his epitaph.  :-)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:21:58 AM by Scion7 »
"Just back from rehearsal. No.4 gigantic, utterly original, entirely new, brazen individuality. Exudes unparalleled energy from A to Z" - letter of Hans von Bulow, October 22, 1885, to concert agent Hermann Wolff on Brahms 4th symphony

Online The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2015, 07:25:41 AM »
Johanna Senfter! Johann is a male name.

Offline pjme

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2015, 09:27:33 AM »
 :o

Johanna Senfter ( 27 November 1879; 11 August 1961) was a German composer.
Johanna Senfter was born and died in Oppenheim. From 1895[1] she studied composition under Iwan Knorr,[1] violin under Adolf Rebner,[1] piano under Karl Friedberg[1] and organ at the Hoch Conservatory in Frankfurt am Main. This gave her a considerable amount of musical training when in 1908 she became a student of Max Reger in Leipzig. She composed 9 symphonies, 26 orchestral works and concertos for piano, violin, viola, and cello. Senfter was a masterful composer of fugue. All together she left behind 134 works.

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2015, 11:23:10 AM »
it's called a "type-o" or a keyboard-glitch boo-boo .... please
"Just back from rehearsal. No.4 gigantic, utterly original, entirely new, brazen individuality. Exudes unparalleled energy from A to Z" - letter of Hans von Bulow, October 22, 1885, to concert agent Hermann Wolff on Brahms 4th symphony

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2015, 11:27:06 AM »
Johanna Senfter . . . . All together she left behind 134 works.

On her composer-topic in this sub-forum you can see a post with some more details on this that I put up.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Carl Nielsen (1865 - 1931)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sounds of Fynsk Forĺr
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2016, 03:07:27 PM »
This isn't the first time I've heard this from you MI! I just wish I had a load of cd's I hadn't listened to yet. As soon as they drop through the letterbox it's almost as if I can't wait to load them into the cd drawer. Either the quantity of cd's arriving is so large it takes you months to wade through them,or you are simply made of very stern stuff indeed and can keep your hands away from those pristine,shiny,shrink wrapped jewel cases ?!! Or maybe,you just like to take your time,absorbing and contemplating the contents of each cd in turn,before you move onto the next one?!!

How I missed this post is beyond me! :-[ Please come back, cilgwyn! To reply to your post, I do have a lot of CDs I haven't even heard that are just there waiting to be listened to and I still have many CDs still in their shrinkwrap. I suppose a lot of it has to do with that I seem to drift through these different listening phases. One month it maybe nothing but French/Hungarian music, the next month the Nordics/Brits, etc. When I am in these listening cycles, I buy CDs during them and by the time the CDs that I purchased a week/two weeks ago arrive, I've already entered into another phase and I'm focused on listening to a certain group of composers and just those composers only. The best part of all of this is when I do come back around to them, I have several new recordings to listen to and soak in. 8)
"I love the vast surface of silence and it is my chief delight to break it." - Carl Nielsen

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK