Author Topic: Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist  (Read 41507 times)

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
Re: Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist
« Reply #340 on: July 13, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »
My brand new cd of Daniel Jones' Symphonies 1 & 11 is in the post,apparently. I'm looking forward to receiving this. The off air tape had some wobbly bits. I can at last hear it in all it's glory. I would have liked to have purchased it earlier;but I've got to keep the old wolf from the door!! ::) :( ;D

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #341 on: July 13, 2017, 02:22:54 PM »
My brand new cd of Daniel Jones' Symphonies 1 & 11 is in the post,apparently. I'm looking forward to receiving this. The off air tape had some wobbly bits. I can at last hear it in all it's glory. I would have liked to have purchased it earlier;but I've got to keep the old wolf from the door!! ::) :( ;D
No 1 is great and No.11 is growing on me. You should really like the disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #342 on: July 14, 2017, 03:55:39 AM »
Of course,I should have said No's 1 & 10. I was in bed by the time I remembered!! So far,I prefer No's 1-9. Not that I dislike the later ones. I feel that Daniel Jones and Havergal Brian have something in common here. The cragginess,but not without lyricism. There's a good deal of variety in the orchestration. We're not talking Rubbra,Cooke or Wordsworth here. Brian and Jones' orchestration is often quite colourful;but both with that craggy,slightly tough hewn exterior. Daniel Jones' early symphonies are more romantic,though. I see the lanscapes and seascapes of South Wales in the symphonies of Daniel Jones. Brian's evoke a more internal landcape. Although,his first and third,especially the third,are an exception. The Gothic being very romantic in places. Particularly the third movement. His third,often cited as 'Brucknerian',evoking the obvious landcapes (and forests). The later symphonies of Daniel Jones,like those of Brian,are less easy to follow in this respect. They are much more concentrated,the logic more elliptical;although the shifts in direction and mood are less abrupt and disconcerting than those of Brian. I think Daniel Jones just gets allot tougher. Brian alleviates some of his later symphonies with more colour and even some lyricism (No's 11-21?). Not that Daniel Jones doesn't. The use of bells in the tenth? Anyway,I need to listen allot more before I can really get to grips with this. Having all the symphonies of Daniel Jones on cd really should help in this respect. As to the sound quality! Thank you very much to whoever provided those off air tapes;but there really is no comparison.
I must add. I do find it slightly shocking that it has taken this long to get more Daniel Jones symphonies on cd. Just listening to his First symphony. This really is a most excellent,satisfying symphony to listen to. I'm really impressed. The tenth will be a tougher nut;but,like late Brian,I think it's one worth cracking!!

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #343 on: July 14, 2017, 04:38:02 AM »
I'm listening to the tenth symphony. This has a brooding lyricism. It's just sterner and more concentrated. There was even a bit of Herrmann popping,very briefly, in one place. (I'm listening via cordless headphones,so I can't see the cd display!) The logic is easier to flow than late Brian. The 'brooding lyricism' I do like! This is the sort of premiere release that really does make you think,"Why,oh why,hasn't this been recorded before?!!" ::) Hearing these symphonies in such good sound quality really is a revelation after those off air tapes. BIS should be recording a brand new cycle forthwith!! But no matter,we've got these! :)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK