Author Topic: Frank Bridge  (Read 15324 times)

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
Re: Frank Bridge
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2016, 01:39:04 AM »
The quartets (and indeed Bridge's chamber work more generally) are on my "to do" list. I certainly noted that they included a couple of late works.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Reckoner

« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2016, 01:52:13 AM »
The quartets (and indeed Bridge's chamber work more generally) are on my "to do" list.

I've been really impressed with the Piano Trio No. 2 lately, and its mesmeric sound world.

Offline Turbot nouveaux

« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
The quartets (and indeed Bridge's chamber work more generally) are on my "to do" list. I certainly noted that they included a couple of late works.

As Reckoner says, the 2nd piano trio is a work of considerable interest, and so is the very turbulent and unsettling 1932 Sonata for violin and piano - there's a magnificent recorded version by members of the Nash ensemble on a disc which should be of some interest (Cello sonata, Phantasie piano quartet, An Irish Melody: The Londonderry Air, Cherry Ripe and Sally in our Alley, all for string quartet. Though perhaps the definitive Cello sonata recording is the Decca Rostropovitch / Britten disc.)

Of his other late chamber works, I've never been able to track down a recording of either his 1928 Rhapsody Trio    for 2 violins and viola (though I think at least one exists), or the 1934 Four Divertimenti for flute, oboe, clarinet and bassoon. Sadly the intended Viola sonata consists of a few sketches only, so we'll never hear the work he might have composed for his own chamber instrument.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:41:57 PM by Turbot nouveaux »

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2017, 02:50:42 AM »
I've been playing this cd. I haven't listened to it for a while. I was thinking that the old Lp version,I used to play,had better artwork,so I looked it up! yes,much better! :) I sometimes think I'd play the cd more if they had used this instead......or even another attractive painting!. Silly of me,I know!! ::)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2017, 07:10:13 AM »
I've been playing this cd. I haven't listened to it for a while. I was thinking that the old Lp version,I used to play,had better artwork,so I looked it up! yes,much better! :) I sometimes think I'd play the cd more if they had used this instead......or even another attractive painting!. Silly of me,I know!! ::)

Not silly of you - I often have the same opinion (well, maybe we are both silly!)  8)

If you buy the Charles Groves boxed set you get a mini version of the original LP sleeve with the original art work on. Coincidentally I've been listening to Vernon Handley's recording of 'The Sea' on Chandos ( with works by Bax, Britten and Stanford). I hadn't realised that it was so good - my favourite version and I have at least four other versions - especially moving in the slow movement. The original CD release is now prohibitively expensive (not on Amazon US). The reissue on Chandos has the additional Stanford work - the best I think of his Irish Rhapsodies but has a less interesting seascape cover art.

Original issue:

Reissue:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:31:23 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK