Author Topic: Charles Ives  (Read 58622 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells during Magic Nights
Re: Charles Ives
« Reply #500 on: May 08, 2017, 05:28:45 PM »
I definitely prefer the the LP cover art!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
"Music must be beautiful, or it wouldn’t be worth the effort” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #501 on: May 09, 2017, 02:29:07 AM »

This one is still one of my favorite LP covers.

The first time I bought it, it looked like this:

Then, when I re-acquired it on CD, it rather bizarrely looked like this:

Offline opaquer

• Veteran member
« Reply #502 on: June 14, 2017, 08:36:22 PM »
Grandpappa Ives is a true innovator that sat cleverly on the borderline between truly radical, true modernism (as I've said before, foreshadowing elements that Darmstadt where using far more extremely later on) and late-romanticism. Generally being often in the middle of a quite pastoral american composer and a fun, early jazz induced fun-loving party animal. But at times in Three Places, Symphony no 4, Concord etc. there are brief glimpses of the future, I'm sure.

Plus Ives IS always fun!

I'll wip out those 99,999,999 songs soon  ;)

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #503 on: July 14, 2017, 01:32:52 PM »
Speaking of Ives: can anyone give an opinion on Ludovic Morlot's Ives from Seattle? He's done (I think) 3 of the 4 symphonies with that orchestra.

I finally got this disc:

My initial impression is that this is a really first-rate collection. The Seattle orchestra plays tremendously, and the sonics are really good, detailed and expansive, which is what you need for music like this.

I haven't heard a lot of competing versions of these works, but I was able to compare Morlot in the 3rd Symphony and the 2 brief tone poems to the classic Bernstein LP of these works. In every case I prefer Morlot's version. Especially I like his slow, drawn-out tempo for The Unanswered Question, which makes it sound much more cosmic and mystical than Bernstein's rather blunt version.

The symphony comes off very well, a bit soft around the edges, but this seems to fit, as it's Ives in relatively restrained, nostalgic mood. Someone up above referred to the long, lingering ringing of the bells at the end - this is a really nice effect.

The 4th Symphony sounds terrific too - pretty much the equal of the MTT/CSO recording, which I've had for years.

In short, this is one of the best Ives orchestral discs I've heard.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #504 on: November 09, 2017, 03:27:47 AM »
Latest on Forbes.com

Classical CD Of The Week: Alexei Lubimov Supreme In Ives, Webern, Berg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2017/11/08/classical-cd-of-the-week-alexei-lubimov-supreme-in-ives-webern-berg/

I finally got this disc:

My initial impression is that this is a really first-rate collection. The Seattle orchestra plays tremendously, and the sonics are really good, detailed and expansive, which is what you need for music like this.

I haven't heard a lot of competing versions of these works, but I was able to compare Morlot in the 3rd Symphony and the 2 brief tone poems to the classic Bernstein LP of these works. In every case I prefer Morlot's version. Especially I like his slow, drawn-out tempo for The Unanswered Question, which makes it sound much more cosmic and mystical than Bernstein's rather blunt version.

The symphony comes off very well, a bit soft around the edges, but this seems to fit, as it's Ives in relatively restrained, nostalgic mood. Someone up above referred to the long, lingering ringing of the bells at the end - this is a really nice effect.

The 4th Symphony sounds terrific too - pretty much the equal of the MTT/CSO recording, which I've had for years.

In short, this is one of the best Ives orchestral discs I've heard.

Would be interested what you think of this disc:

The 10 Best Classical Recordings Of 2016

#5 Ives:

http://bit.ly/Forbes_Best_Classical_Recordings_2016_New

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK