Author Topic: Grazyna Bacewicz (1909-1969)  (Read 26691 times)

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
Re: Grazyna Bacewicz (1909-1969)
« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2019, 03:38:07 PM »
An attractive set, although I'm a little put off that the sonatas are padded to two discs with "miniatures" which I usually don't go for. But given how much I enjoy Bacewicz's work I should spring for this. Thanks for bring it to our attention.

I guess that it is a minor complaint, because, as you say, this music really deserves to be heard.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2019, 03:51:49 PM »
I must confess I've been obsessed with this composer, so as a consequence I listened to the string quartets from this set:

Definitely what terrific composer Bacewicz was. This is highly compelling, resourceful, witty and ultimately dark music (the latter regarding the last quartets). With each following quartet her style was becoming more austere, bitter and dissonant. I'd think that Lutoslawski was influenced by those astringent (but great) quartets, especially on his only and fascinating String Quartet.

I'll continue exploring more works by Bacewicz. It's rather addictive  :D

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2019, 07:43:27 PM »
I must confess I've been obsessed with this composer, so as a consequence I listened to the string quartets from this set:

Definitely what terrific composer Bacewicz was. This is highly compelling, resourceful, witty and ultimately dark music (the latter regarding the last quartets). With each following quartet her style was becoming more austere, bitter and dissonant. I'd think that Lutoslawski was influenced by those astringent (but great) quartets, especially on his only and fascinating String Quartet.

I assume you’ve heard the works for string orchestra, particularly the concerto for strings.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2019, 08:31:11 PM »

But I wonder if Lutoslawski actually knew Bacewicz’s music well?
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2019, 10:16:25 AM »
I assume you’ve heard the works for string orchestra, particularly the concerto for strings.

I think so, but I don't have vivid memories of them. I'll be listening to them in due course.

But I wonder if Lutoslawski actually knew Bacewicz’s music well?

Who knows, I was guessing because of the similarity between their 2 styles.