Author Topic: Granville Bantock (1868-1946)  (Read 23215 times)

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
Re: Granville Bantock (1868-1946)
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2018, 08:36:43 PM »
Happy birthday Granville!!!

The world has focused on Debussy and Bernstein to celebrate their anniversaries, but I haven't seen anything about Bantock, who would be 150 years old this year. This composer is special to me because of his extremely fine craftsmanship on A Celtic Symphony. Works in a similar vein would be the Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis, Tippett's Fantasia concertante on a theme by Corelli and Alwyn's Lyra Angelica. I'm in love with the Celtic, one of my last pieces when dying (and I'm not exaggerating  8)).

I would be very pleased if Chandos, Hyperion or other advocate label recorded his other works such as these ones (the list is taken from Wikipedia):

-Tone Poem No. 4, Hudibras
-Tone Poem No. 6, Lalla Rookh
-Symphonic Overture with organ
-Old English Suite for small orchestra
-From the Far West for strings
-In the Far East, Serenade for strings
-Scottish Rhapsody (1913)
-Scenes from the Scottish Highlands,
-Suite for strings
-The Land of the Gael, Suite for strings
-Four Chinese Landscapes (1936)
-Aphrodite in Cyprus, Symphonic Ode
-Macbeth Overture
-Comedy Overture, Circus Life
-Elegiac Poem for cello and orchestra
-Celtic Poem for cello and orchestra
-Dramatic Poem for cello and orchestra
-Christus, a Festival Symphony
-The Time Spirit, rhapsody for chorus and orchestra
-Sea Wanderers, poem for chorus and orchestra
-The Song of Liberty for solo voices, chorus and orchestra
-The Great God Pan, a Choral Ballet for solo voices, chorus and orchestra
-The Song of Songs for soloists, double chorus and orchestra
-The Pilgrim's Progress for solo voices, chorus and orchestra
-Prometheus Unbound for chorus and orchestra
-King Solomon for chorus, narrator and orchestra

Some suggestive titles just sound fascinating, so, what are, you labels, waiting for?  ;D

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2018, 12:29:48 AM »
Happy birthday Granville!!!

The world has focused on Debussy and Bernstein to celebrate their anniversaries, but I haven't seen anything about Bantock, who would be 150 years old this year. This composer is special to me because of his extremely fine craftsmanship on A Celtic Symphony. Works in a similar vein would be the Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis, Tippett's Fantasia concertante on a theme by Corelli and Alwyn's Lyra Angelica. I'm in love with the Celtic, one of my last pieces when dying (and I'm not exaggerating  8)).

I would be very pleased if Chandos, Hyperion or other advocate label recorded his other works such as these ones (the list is taken from Wikipedia):

-Tone Poem No. 4, Hudibras
-Tone Poem No. 6, Lalla Rookh
-Symphonic Overture with organ
-Old English Suite for small orchestra
-From the Far West for strings
-In the Far East, Serenade for strings
-Scottish Rhapsody (1913)
-Scenes from the Scottish Highlands,
-Suite for strings
-The Land of the Gael, Suite for strings
-Four Chinese Landscapes (1936)
-Aphrodite in Cyprus, Symphonic Ode
-Macbeth Overture
-Comedy Overture, Circus Life
-Elegiac Poem for cello and orchestra
-Celtic Poem for cello and orchestra
-Dramatic Poem for cello and orchestra
-Christus, a Festival Symphony
-The Time Spirit, rhapsody for chorus and orchestra
-Sea Wanderers, poem for chorus and orchestra
-The Song of Liberty for solo voices, chorus and orchestra
-The Great God Pan, a Choral Ballet for solo voices, chorus and orchestra
-The Song of Songs for soloists, double chorus and orchestra
-The Pilgrim's Progress for solo voices, chorus and orchestra
-Prometheus Unbound for chorus and orchestra
-King Solomon for chorus, narrator and orchestra

Some suggestive titles just sound fascinating, so, what are, you labels, waiting for?  ;D
Yes, Happy Birthday from me too. The Celtic Symphony was performed at the Proms a few years ago (actually 2013 - just checked). I was fortunate enough to be there and saw and heard all those harps!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:32:35 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Biffo

« Reply #162 on: August 07, 2018, 01:29:49 AM »
I went though a Bantock phase a few years ago and bought several of the Hyperion releases including the complete Omar Khayyam. I found the results mixed; I enjoyed each piece as I listened to it but didn't find anything (with one exception) particularly memorable. Perhaps it all needs revisiting. The exception is the Celtic Symphony which really is beautiful; I think it is the sort of thing Classic FM would take up and flog to death.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #163 on: August 07, 2018, 08:09:07 AM »
I went though a Bantock phase a few years ago and bought several of the Hyperion releases including the complete Omar Khayyam. I found the results mixed; I enjoyed each piece as I listened to it but didn't find anything (with one exception) particularly memorable. Perhaps it all needs revisiting. The exception is the Celtic Symphony which really is beautiful; I think it is the sort of thing Classic FM would take up and flog to death.
I agree about the Celtic Symphony but also like the Hebridean and Pagan symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #164 on: August 07, 2018, 11:58:20 AM »
A Celtic Symphony has a special place in my heart. It's one of those things you can't forget once heard. It's a dream of mine, attending a performance of this work at least once. The rest of his symphonies is very fine, too, but not as memorable as the Celtic.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2018, 06:42:12 AM »
The only Bantock works I know are the ones contained on this excellent CD:

I agree with previous posters that the Celtic Symphony is especially beautiful. The Hebridean Symphony and The Witch of Atlas are both atmospheric and superbly orchestrated but rather less memorable. The big surprise on the disc was the 3 1/2 minute Hebridean Sea Poem No. 2: The Sea Reivers, a scherzo-like work with builds up an impressive head of steam to a riveting ending. I wish it were longer!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2018, 08:16:06 AM »
The only Bantock works I know are the ones contained on this excellent CD:

I agree with previous posters that the Celtic Symphony is especially beautiful. The Hebridean Symphony and The Witch of Atlas are both atmospheric and superbly orchestrated but rather less memorable. The big surprise on the disc was the 3 1/2 minute Hebridean Sea Poem No. 2: The Sea Reivers, a scherzo-like work with builds up an impressive head of steam to a riveting ending. I wish it were longer!

If you're going to have only one Bantock CD that is the one to have Kyle!

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2018, 10:19:30 PM »
The Sea Reivers was originally intended to be part of the Hebridean Symphony. The Symphony is without question my favourite work of Bantock's.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2018, 12:14:19 AM »
The Sea Reivers was originally intended to be part of the Hebridean Symphony. The Symphony is without question my favourite work of Bantock's.

The Hebridean is a fine work and, along with the Celtic Symphony, my favourite of Bantock's works. I also like the Pagan Symphony.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2018, 12:11:01 PM »
Thalaba the Destroyer was the first work of Bantock's I got into. It's an epic work, worthy to be alongside the "heroic" B minor symphonies by Tchaikovsky ("Manfred") and Gliére ("Il'ya Muromets").

The only disc of the Hyperion series I've yet to pick up is Sappho/Sapphic Poem. I'd also like to get the Lyrita recording of Omar Khayyam, as that is the complete rendition of the work, unlike the cut Chandos recording.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2018, 12:23:49 PM »
Thalaba the Destroyer was the first work of Bantock's I got into. It's an epic work, worthy to be alongside the "heroic" B minor symphonies by Tchaikovsky ("Manfred") and Gliére ("Il'ya Muromets").

The only disc of the Hyperion series I've yet to pick up is Sappho/Sapphic Poem. I'd also like to get the Lyrita recording of Omar Khayyam, as that is the complete rendition of the work, unlike the cut Chandos recording.

Don't forget to include the epic Langgaard's 1st Symphony in B minor in your list  :)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
I quite like Symphony 3 'The Cyprian Goddess' as well.

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2018, 09:27:26 AM »
Don't forget to include the epic Langgaard's 1st Symphony in B minor in your list  :)

Oh yes! Another fantastic work I've discovered in recent months.  :)

Also, I need to give Symphony No. 3 another go. It's been a little while.