Author Topic: Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)  (Read 16016 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Ernest Bloch (1880-1959)
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2016, 02:24:16 AM »
Thanks for reminding me I need to find more time for Bloch. The PQs are brilliant.

A staple of my modest collection. Inspired by this thread, I just listened to the piano version of Poems of the Sea and really enjoyed it, exactly my cup of drama.
The Poems of the Sea are excellent in both their piano and orchestral versions. If you like the piano music I strongly recommend this one if you don't already know it. 'Visions and Prophesies' is a piano version of several movements from the orchestral 'Voice in the Wilderness' which I like very much for all its Hollywood biblical film score resonances - or maybe because of them.  :)

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Online Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2016, 03:41:51 AM »
Thanks for reminding me I need to find more time for Bloch. The PQs are brilliant.

A staple of my modest collection. Inspired by this thread, I just listened to the piano version of Poems of the Sea and really enjoyed it, exactly my cup of drama.
Kind of tempting.  The Bloch chamber music I know is quite moving.  I'll try to sample this one.
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Online Rinaldo

• Veteran member
  • Cara sposa, dove sei?
    • aaraaf.net
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2016, 04:20:41 AM »
The Poems of the Sea are excellent in both their piano and orchestral versions. If you like the piano music I strongly recommend this one if you don't already know it. 'Visions and Prophesies' is a piano version of several movements from the orchestral 'Voice in the Wilderness' which I like very much for all its Hollywood biblical film score resonances - or maybe because of them.  :)

Brilliant, after listening to the Poems of the Sea, I immediately thought about seeking some of Bloch's solo piano music, which I'm not familiar with. Pefectly timed tip, appreciated!

Kind of tempting.  The Bloch chamber music I know is quite moving.  I'll try to sample this one.

I was hooked since the first notes of the first PQ, one of the 'coolest' classical openings I know.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2016, 04:57:09 AM »
Brilliant, after listening to the Poems of the Sea, I immediately thought about seeking some of Bloch's solo piano music, which I'm not familiar with. Pefectly timed tip, appreciated!

I was hooked since the first notes of the first PQ, one of the 'coolest' classical openings I know.
My pleasure. :) Let us know what you think if you get 'Visions and Prophecies'. I like that 'Old Testament prophet' aspect of Bloch's music and very much agree about the epic Piano Quintet 1. I don't listen to that much chamber music but Bloch, Shostakovich and Vaughan Williams (although he didn't write that much) are exceptions.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Online Spineur

• Veteran member
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2016, 07:59:13 AM »
Could you help me decide which version to get ?
There is this disc on amazon.fr, with good reviews.  Its not on Amazon.com, but its also on amazon.co.uk, with also a very warm review.
There is also a Karp-Pro Arte disc which seems to be OOP but maybe availiable as download.
Thanks for your help.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:19:42 AM by Spineur »
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2016, 11:21:05 AM »
There is this disc on amazon.fr, with good reviews.  Its not on Amazon.com, but its also on amazon.co.uk, with also a very warm review.
There is also a Karp-Pro Arte disc which seems to be OOP but maybe availiable as download.
Thanks for your help.
Not sure if this is addressed to me but the Hyperion CD is excellent but you wouldn't be disappointed with the other one either. I'd go for the cheapest/most available version.

Online Spineur

• Veteran member
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2016, 10:42:12 PM »
Not sure if this is addressed to me but the Hyperion CD is excellent but you wouldn't be disappointed with the other one either. I'd go for the cheapest/most available version.
Thanks, you are always helpful.  Does anybody know his "MacBeth".  Seems like an interesting work.
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2016, 01:21:44 AM »
Thanks, you are always helpful.  Does anybody know his "MacBeth".  Seems like an interesting work.
No, I need to investigate this too. I've heard some orchestral music from it which I enjoyed but I tend to like Bloch's music generally.

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2016, 04:03:31 PM »
Thanks for your help.

I'm listening to the opening of ProArte/Karp No.1. My first impression is I should be able to get better sound somewhere... anywhere. It's obviously recorded in one of those hilarious air-tight studios- what were audio-engineers thinking back in the day? Otherwise, the playing seems fine; the mix isn't ideal, either.

And there's the Arabesque Cycle... I forget how they are... except there's 1/8 of a second between Tracks. I think they are somewhat up-front.

Oy- yea, I'm not particularly able to restrain criticism of the ProArte/Karp. I'm not sure the strings are properly handling all notes in an idiomatic manner. Bloch works when it's a bit smudgy.
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #129 on: June 19, 2016, 12:23:13 PM »

Do not hesitate to get the Goldner's disc of the Piano Quintets.  Sublime music making.

My copy of the Kocian disc had some kind of loud digital blip in the 2nd Quintet.  I don't know if they fixed this in subsequent pressings.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 12:25:31 PM by Daverz »

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Bloch's Loch
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2017, 07:34:21 AM »
bump?
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »
I've expressed my admiration for Bloch's Piano Quintet no. 1 in other threads but I'll do so again here. It's a magnificent work that traverses a troubled landscape - sometimes angry, sometimes lyrical, sometimes mysterious - and comes to rest in an incredibly moving bendecitory ending. C major has rarely felt so cathartic.

I also love Bloch's Concerto Grosso no. 1, a really energetic, tuneful work. Bloch, like Stravinsky, was a composer who was able to compose equally well throughout all the different stylistic phases of his career.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 03:37:41 PM by kyjo »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2017, 03:55:26 PM »
+ 2. Both are among my favourite Bloch works  :).

Also worth mentioning is his concerto symphonique for piano and orchestra. I have these 2 versions, both played by a young female asian pianist:

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2017, 10:42:24 PM »
+3  :)
I have those discs too as well as an older Vanguard recording.
Bloch's Piano quintets and SQ No.1 are very fine in my opinion.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2017, 12:55:00 AM »
I've been greatly enjoying the epic Concerto Symphonique in the Micah Yui/David Amos/LSO version posted by Andre above. This was the first recording (for 27 years) since the old one on Vanguard which, I notice, has been reissued along with Abravanel's Utah version of the 'Israel Symphony' - two of Bloch's greatest works IMHO on one CD in historic recordings.
PS I just read that the sound quality is much better on the old Vanguards of Israel Symph/Concerto Symphonique so maybe better to stick with them!
The Laurel Record CD of Concerto Symphonique, however, is excellent in all respects with interesting couplings.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:00:46 AM by vandermolen »

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2017, 02:15:56 AM »
I've never warmed to the Concerto Symphonique.

Agree about the somewhat Romantic String Quartet No. 1.  It's nearly an hour long, but so full of diverting music that the time rushes by.  There was a nearly 30 year gap between String Quartet No. 1 and String Quartet No. 2, which is more the Bloch we know from the String Quintets.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2017, 02:30:16 AM »
I've never warmed to the Concerto Symphonique.

Agree about the somewhat Romantic String Quartet No. 1.  It's nearly an hour long, but so full of diverting music that the time rushes by.  There was a nearly 30 year gap between String Quartet No. 1 and String Quartet No. 2, which is more the Bloch we know from the String Quintets.

The CS has a kind of Hollyood epic film score aspect to it but I find the themes memorable and am always gripped by it. The Piano Quintet No.1 is another favourite.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK