Author Topic: Chopin complete by Rubinstein or who else?  (Read 5904 times)

Offline tomseeley

Chopin complete by Rubinstein or who else?
« on: October 31, 2007, 09:16:08 AM »
I googled on chopin complete works and could not find a hit for a single boxed set by Rubenstein.  I found one by Ashkenazy, which I suspect would be quite good.  I did find individual references to Rubenstein's recordings, but not to any single box containing all of Chopin's works for piano.  Did Rubenstein record them all?  Are they available at all as a single individual purchase?

Second variation of the question:  If not Rubenstein, then whose?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:55:58 AM by Que »

Harry

Re: Chopin complete by Rubenstein or who else?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:23:11 AM »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:56:30 AM »
I googled on chopin complete works and could not find a hit for a single boxed set by Rubenstein.  I found one by Ashkenazy, which I suspect would be quite good.  I did find individual references to Rubenstein's recordings, but not to any single box containing all of Chopin's works for piano.  Did Rubenstein record them all?  Are they available at all as a single individual purchase?

Second variation of the question:  If not Rubenstein, then whose?

Pleeeaaase, at least spell the poor man's name properly.  :'(

The Rubinstein box set is NOT complete btw - Rubinstein never dared to commercially record the complete études.

Q
À chacun son goût.

Harry

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 10:00:42 AM »
Pleeeaaase, at least spell the poor man's name properly.  :'(

The Rubinstein box set is NOT complete btw - Rubinstein never dared to commercially record the complete études.

Q

But almost.... ;D

Offline orbital

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 10:11:15 AM »
Idil Biret on Naxos was my first box purchase for Chopin. IT does include pretty much everything in the catalogue, eventhe obscure pieces. I don't listen to it much anymore, the playing is uniformly mediocre.  but it can be a cheap way to get yourself acquainted with all of his works.

Offline jwinter

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 10:25:29 AM »
I think Rubinstein's individual recordings are well worth tracking down; he's certainly my favorite for the mazurkas and probably the nocturnes as well. 

For an inexpensive intro to Chopin, though, I think Ashkenazy's box is excellent.  He is by no means mediocre (his Beethoven leaves me cool, but his Chopin is quite enjoyable, I really like his etudes), and from what I've heard and read there's general agreement that he's at least good, if not outstanding, in pretty much the whole set.  Chopin recommendations around here seem to be the most subjective of any composer, though -- everyone has their own idea about what Chopin should sound like, and they differ widely (as well they should -- Chopin's music is about mood and color and subtle shadings, and it's all a matter of personal taste, after all).

At any rate, of course you could put together a far superior set by cherry-picking from various pianists, but for a simple and comprehensive introduction I'd feel quite safe with Ashkenazy. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 10:31:09 AM by jwinter »
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 12:05:08 PM »
I think Rubinstein's individual recordings are well worth tracking down; he's certainly my favorite for the mazurkas and probably the nocturnes as well. 

For an inexpensive intro to Chopin, though, I think Ashkenazy's box is excellent.  He is by no means mediocre (his Beethoven leaves me cool, but his Chopin is quite enjoyable, I really like his etudes), and from what I've heard and read there's general agreement that he's at least good, if not outstanding, in pretty much the whole set.  Chopin recommendations around here seem to be the most subjective of any composer, though -- everyone has their own idea about what Chopin should sound like, and they differ widely (as well they should -- Chopin's music is about mood and color and subtle shadings, and it's all a matter of personal taste, after all).

At any rate, of course you could put together a far superior set by cherry-picking from various pianists, but for a simple and comprehensive introduction I'd feel quite safe with Ashkenazy. 

I heartily concur. The Ashkenazy is an excellent intriduction and it's so cheap. Out of the set the Etudes, Waltzes and the Polonaises are par excellence, possibly even non pareil!
Cheers

Holden

Offline 12tone.

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 05:01:01 PM »
Or who else?  Ashkenazy.  I can't think of anyone who plays Chopin better.

sidoze

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 05:31:54 PM »
a shame about the painfully close recorded quality--mic in the piano--of the Milosz Magin box-set because otherwise it would be recommendable for a full set

Offline c#minor

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 04:15:03 PM »
I also have the Idil Biret set. Agreed it's okay. The piano is very bright, i am not a big fan of bright pianos, even more so when playing Chopin.

George

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 08:43:44 PM »
I heartily concur. The Ashkenazy is an excellent intriduction and it's so cheap. Out of the set the Etudes, Waltzes and the Polonaises are par excellence, possibly even non pareil!

Yes, get the Ashkenazy!

Offline Varg

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 10:31:17 PM »
Or who else?  Ashkenazy.  I can't think of anyone who plays Chopin better.
Or closer to your taste. Personnaly i can't hear the Nocturnes of anybody (Rubinstein, Ashkenazy and Horowitz - the so-called "greatests" Chopin performers - never did it for me), minus Barenboim.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:36:52 PM by Varg »

Offline Maciek

• Ban them all!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 01:10:56 AM »
I don't think the Ashkenazy is a complete set - it's just the solo piano (and two pianos) works... ::) And you really wouldn't want to be left without the cello sonata (not to mention the concertos, of course).

I'm aware of three sets pretending to be complete: on DG (17 CDs), Polish Radio (20 CDs), and Brilliant (17 or 30 CDs, depending on edition) - of these I only have the second, and I can testify that it is almost complete but not quite. Judging by the number of CDs Brilliant could be the truly complete set (though apparently not in very good performance, see discussion here), though I suppose DG has the best set of performers.

There's also the Polish "National Edition" on BeArTon but that's only reached CD no. 16. It is moving along pretty fast though. I think they'll be done in a year or two, three at most.

Mark

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 01:17:21 AM »
I don't think the Ashkenazy is a complete set - it's just the solo piano (and two pianos) works... ::) And you really wouldn't want to be left without the cello sonata (not to mention the concertos, of course).

Quite so. :)

Or closer to your taste. Personnaly i can't hear the Nocturnes of anybody (Rubinstein, Ashkenazy and Horowitz - the so-called "greatests" Chopin performers - never did it for me), minus Barenboim.

Sorry, does this mean that Barenboim's the man for you in the Nocturnes? ???

Great Gable

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 03:19:57 AM »
I have all the Rubinstein Chopin (well at least one version of all the pieces that he recorded) and most of the Ashkenazy. I bought the Ashkenazy disks separately and so missed out on some of the rarer single pieces that were included on that, now wonderfully priced, box set that have not been released in another issue. These two are my Chopin dream team (horrible term, I know) and give me everything I need from Chopin's solo works. Other pianists can give me great pleasure from Chopin (Pollini for example)but Ashkenazy and Rubinstein seem to have the insights that mean the most to my. I don't like Horowitz at all - his tempi and phrasing just don't hit my spot and I can't take the bum notes I'm afraid.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 03:24:12 AM »
I don't particularly like Ashkenazy in Chopin.....
And I find him quite different in style from Rubinstein, so I don't understand why the two are mentioned in one breath.

I guess that makes me a tiny minority? 8)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Mark

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 03:26:33 AM »
Don't worry, Que: I was amazed at the lack of love for Horowitz, of whose Chopin I've heard but little, though I liked it a lot.

Great Gable

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 03:26:59 AM »
The reason is there in your reply - they are VERY different in their relative approaches and each touches something in me.

Great Gable

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 03:28:07 AM »
You were amazed at MY lack of love for Horowitz or generally?

Mark

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 03:29:59 AM »
You were amazed at MY lack of love for Horowitz or generally?

Yours. Though what do I know? I'm certainly no pianophile.