Author Topic: Chopin complete by Rubinstein or who else?  (Read 6328 times)

Great Gable

Re: Chopin complete by Rubenstein or who else?
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 03:32:54 AM »
Why amazed? We can't all like the same interpreters? Are you equally amazed if someone dislikes any other popular solist?

Mark

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 03:34:50 AM »
Are you equally amazed if someone dislikes any other popular solist?

Sometimes.

sidoze

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 03:39:26 AM »
Are you equally amazed if someone dislikes any other popular solist?

i am amazed anyone could like any popular soloists  ;D I like both Ashkenazy and Rubinstein but only during their early periods, especially Ashkenazy's '50s, early '60s Chopin, so much more virtuosic and poetic than his later recordings

Great Gable

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 03:41:03 AM »
Why's that then? It either moves you or it doesn't. There are quite a few interpreters I don't like although the one that I could never stand in his/my youth, Nigel Kennedy, has improved to my ears in recent years. His ealier readings were so idiosyncratic as to make some pieces almost unrecognisable to me. Musical interpretation is as important as the original composition to me. They can make or break the music. (Or are you pulling my leg?)

(You have to be - given the quote re. Du Pre you currently use).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 03:45:46 AM by Great Gable »

Mark

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 03:45:55 AM »
Why's that then? It either moves you or it doesn't. There are quite a few interpreters I don't like although the one that I could never stand in his/my youth, Nigel Kennedy, has improved to my ears in recent years. His ealier readings were so idiosyncratic as to make some pieces almost unrecognisable to me.

OT, but I'm with you on the Kennedy thing. Like him a lot more these days. :)

And yes, Du Pre did make almost everything her own, for better or worse depending on your tastes. ;D

Great Gable

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 03:57:29 AM »
Well along those lines - I can explain why the two do it for me with Chopin. I love everything Ashkenazy does - from any period of his career. A lot of him goes into his interpretation(s) and that's fine by me. Whilst Rubinstein, to my ears (and a little imagination) is as near as I can get to listening to Chopin play the pieces himself. Of course no-one can accurately state such claims - it's all rather fanciful but when I listen to Rubinstein I hear Chopin.
I have read a lot about musicians/conductors adhering strictly to the composer's wishes on this forum of late. Whilst authenticity is to be lauded, as I stated earlier, interpretation is all to me. After all, why would so many of us buy so many different versions of one work?

Mark

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2007, 04:01:01 AM »
Whilst authenticity is to be lauded, as I stated earlier, interpretation is all to me. After all, why would so many of us buy so many different versions of one work?

An interesting point. Perhaps a new thread is needed for its discussion?

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 09:45:44 AM »
Necromancy at its finest as I resurrect an 11-year-old thread.  In the intervening years since the last post on this fine thread, what is the general consensus or preference for a complete Chopin box?

TIA,
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 10:18:11 AM »
I doubt that there is a general consensus. Rubinstein is not an option because it is not at all complete, mainly missing both sets of etudes (and the preludes are only in a not too great sounding historical recording) as well as minor works like the 1st sonata. And his best and most gripping interpretations are often not the most frequently re-issued stereo recordings.
Also, if you want complete you need the chamber pieces and the songs (each about one disc worth). I do have a DG box that is supposedly complete but with many different pianists. Surprisingly it seems to be still available although for some reason I am sometimes shown a similar Brilliant classics box

They are all in good stereo sound and range from very good to excellent. Overall mostly rather straightforward performances (like 1970s+80s Pollini) dominate (with Zimerman's concerti being one rather mannered exception) but this might be a good thing for a "basic edition". You can always add more extravagant recordings (like Pogorelich's)

Another (almost complete, i.e. no chamber, songs and shorter concertante pieces, none of which are essential IMO, except for the cello sonata, although I am also quite fond of the trio and that cello polonaise) I am familiar with is Samson Francois' on EMI/warner. He had recorded quite a few pieces twice or even up to four times and they picked the stereo recordings for that box (if available). The sound is variable with some not so great mono and considering the vintage even more disappointing drab stereo but overall serviceable. Francois is a mixed bag, highly personal, sometimes very odd but often fascinating. Probably not the best choice for a basic set.

Not sure, but Ashkenazy probably also has a virtually complete set that should be quite good (his mazurkas and waltzes are in the DG).

If you don't insist on getting all the juvenilia, it is also not too difficult to get choice recordings of the major works separately. Even the odd early polonaise or less frequently recorded pieces like the Bolero will show up in recital discs or anthologies.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 05:02:26 PM »
Pietro de Maria's set is not available on Amazon US but is available from 3 vendors on Amazon Italy's Marketplace. (I didn't check any other Amazon site.)
https://www.amazon.it/Complete-Piano-Works-Box13cd-PIETRO/dp/B00N29UQZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546476869&sr=8-1&keywords=B00N29UQZA

I find him uniformly good throughout.
But I confess that I like all of Rubinstein's Chopin, even if he didn't do everything.

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2019, 05:12:12 PM »
Did Gerrick Ohlsson complete his complete Chopin project? What I have heard from the set has been excellent.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2019, 05:27:31 PM »
Did Gerrick Ohlsson complete his complete Chopin project? What I have heard from the set has been excellent.
Yes. This is the Amazon listing.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2019, 05:32:30 PM »
BTW, the Brilliant Classics set

I can vouch for the Schmitt-Leonardy contribution.

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2019, 05:37:26 PM »
Yes. This is the Amazon listing.

Oh yes. That was the re-issues of his old Arabesque set, I believe.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2019, 07:12:35 PM »
Pietro de Maria's set is not available on Amazon US but is available from 3 vendors on Amazon Italy's Marketplace. (I didn't check any other Amazon site.)
https://www.amazon.it/Complete-Piano-Works-Box13cd-PIETRO/dp/B00N29UQZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546476869&sr=8-1&keywords=B00N29UQZA

I find him uniformly good throughout.
But I confess that I like all of Rubinstein's Chopin, even if he didn't do everything.

Among the complete/near complete sets I've heard, I definitely prefer De Maria to both Ashkenazy and Magaloff.  I've not heard enough of Ohlsson's set to say for sure I'd choose the Italian, but I'd choose the Italian. 

Yukio Yokoyama's early Sony recordings have enough good playing to make think his King Records complete set may be worth considering for die hard Chopin collectors. 

I've heard nothing from Idil Biret's, Tatiana Shebanova's, or Mei-Ting Sun's complete sets.  Maybe one of those is The One.  I have my doubts.

When it comes to Rubinstein, in general the earlier the better. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2019, 12:34:39 AM »
Necromancy at its finest as I resurrect an 11-year-old thread.  In the intervening years since the last post on this fine thread, what is the general consensus or preference for a complete Chopin box?

TIA,

The Real Chopin is the one which has given me most pleasure.  I wonder if anyone has tried this -- Maria Wiłkomirska, Kazimierz Wiłkomirski, Jan Ekier, Regina Smendzianka, Halina Czerny-Stefańska, Bolesław Woytowicz, Ludwik Stefański, Henryk Sztompka, Zbigniew Drzewiecki, Lidia Grychtołówna, Władysław Kędra, Witold Rowicki

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:52:04 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2019, 01:19:31 AM »
Haven't listened to the whole of this but the first three discs are excellent.

“Meanwhile thy spirit lifts its pinions
In music's most serene dominions;
Catching the winds that fan that happy heaven.
And we sail on, away, afar
Without a course, without a star,
But by the instinct of sweet music driven." — Shelley

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2019, 01:38:53 AM »
I have the last disc of El Bacha separately. It is good although I cannot be more specific.

I did not mean to detract from Rubinstein. My favorites are probably the ca. 1950s recordings but they are not boxed separately unlike the cheapo set that has mostly the 60s stereo + the 1946 Preludes (because it is the only one)
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
Re: Chopin complete by Rubinstein or who else?
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2019, 02:36:41 AM »
I don't think I need a complete works from a single pianist.  I have most works covered by sets from Pollini, Vasary and Francois plus numerous recital discs from others.

Offline Omicron9

Re: Chopin complete by Rubinstein or who else?
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2019, 07:59:50 AM »
Thanks, all; beyond helpful and mondo appreciated.  The DG collection/box set is the one on which I had my eye.

Thanks again.
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.