Author Topic: Film (movie) Music  (Read 133219 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the water...
Re: Film (movie) Music
« Reply #1120 on: April 16, 2019, 06:28:06 AM »
Excellent John! Although I'm most jealous that you have a 'De-Luxe edition' of Damien: Omen II coming. My daughter and her cousin became obsessed with the opening titles music and used to play it on their mobile phones at family dinner parties! Her cousin even wanted it played at his wedding but his fiancé unsurprisingly vetoed the idea. I have an old Jerry Goldsmith compilation album 2CD set (one of the series performed by the Prague Philharmonic) and I remember that the original 'Total Recall' extract was one of the highlights. I don't know the others although remember thinking highly of 'Chinatown' as a movie when it first came out.

Very cool, Jeffrey. 8) I try my best to find the original soundtracks. You need to get Rambo: First Blood. You really do. It’s outstanding. Other Goldsmith soundtracks I’m looking at: Alien, Logan’s Run, and Poltergeist.
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1121 on: April 16, 2019, 07:12:57 AM »
Bought one more Goldsmith soundtrack:

I think this will be it for awhile as now I have 10 Goldsmith soundtracks on the way.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #1122 on: April 16, 2019, 07:37:39 AM »
From the Movie topic:

Greetings!

I have been somewhat overwhelmed by assorted things recently, and so have had little time to drop by GMG.

This came up a few days ago: great news!

Sergei Bondarchuk's digitally restored, four-movie version of War and Peace, with the great score by the late Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov, will be available as of June 25th on Blu-Ray thanks to Criterion.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3DqanxfecIA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3DqanxfecIA</a>

See:

https://www.criterion.com/films/28891-war-and-peace

See also:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/15/movies/war-and-peace-bondarchuk-lincoln-center.html

Perhaps this restored version will catalyze interest in Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov's oeuvre in general, both concert works and the film scores.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #1123 on: April 16, 2019, 11:13:23 AM »
From the Movie topic:

Perhaps this restored version will catalyze interest in Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov's oeuvre in general, both concert works and the film scores.
I very much hope so Leo - that release is great news.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #1124 on: April 16, 2019, 11:16:29 AM »
Bought one more Goldsmith soundtrack:

I think this will be it for awhile as now I have 10 Goldsmith soundtracks on the way.

I have all the first three Alien scores. Alien (Goldsmith) and Aliens (Horner) are the best, especially 'Alien'. The other great score that I know by Goldsmith (I don't know 'Rambo' but will track it down) is 'Capricorn One', so I hope that is on your list John.
 :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #1125 on: April 16, 2019, 03:15:25 PM »
I have all the first three Alien scores. Alien (Goldsmith) and Aliens (Horner) are the best, especially 'Alien'. The other great score that I know by Goldsmith (I don't know 'Rambo' but will track it down) is 'Capricorn One', so I hope that is on your list John.
 :)

It’s on my list now. ;) Kudos for mentioning it.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #1126 on: April 16, 2019, 11:14:54 PM »
It’s on my list now. ;) Kudos for mentioning it.
:) I liked the film as well.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #1127 on: July 13, 2019, 11:56:30 AM »
Cross posted from the WAYL thread

Film directors Fritz Lang, Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau and Georg Wilhelm Pabst reigned on the german film scene during the era of silent movies. Lang’s Metropolis (1926) is a classic that is regularly presented in specialized theaters, either in b&w or in a colorized version. Pioneer film music composer Gottfried Huppertz composed the music to be played in the theater, meaning that a full symphony orchestra was on hand to play the 2 1/2 hour score during the film screening. Lang and Huppertz’ previous collaboration was for the 5 hour epic The Nibelungs, shot in two parts, Siegfried and Kriemhilds Rache (Kriemhild’s Vengeance).

When I first saw these films some 40-45 years ago it was assumed that they were silent films, period. Nowhere in the writings of the time (I had a few dictionaries of movies) was there any mention that a full symphony score existed. My 1976 edition of the Oxford Companion to Film fails to mention any music in the entries to Metropolis or Die Nibelungen. The Film Music entry devotes a short paragraph to silent film scores, with a mention of The Birth of a Nation or Abel Gance’s Napoléon, but none on composer Gottfried Huppertz. Silent films then were definitely silent. No recordings existed either, obviously. I would have been startled at the time to discover that Lang’s epic masterpieces were meant to be seen and heard with their own music music played by an actual orchestra!

Conductor Frank Strobel is an old hand at film music conducting. Here he has the fine Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra playing the score Huppertz composed. Well, not all of it. The team did record a 4 1/2 hour, 4 disc set of the whole shebang. This single disc presents a sensibly assembled 75 minutes selection. Similarly, the Metropolis score exists in full (2 1/2 hour) or abridged (77 minutes) compact disc releases. The full score heard shorn of the visuals is not a winning proposition IMO. A disc of excerpts works perfectly fine and this sumptuously produced disc makes a fine job of presenting some of The Nibelungs’ main scenes.

Scenarist Thea von Harbou (quite a character unto herself) went for the nordic saga characters and events, not Wagner’s adaptation, so we are not tempted to draw comparisons. What emerges is a fine post-romantic score with a nice sense of the film’s narrative. Huppertz was quite good with themes (none having any resemblance to the well-known Wagner leitmotifs), and his orchestration is very effective. Composers like Max Steiner, Erich Wolfgang Korngold and Franz Waxman learned their film music trade in part from Huppertz’ composing techniques.

I would now expect to see a DVD or theater screening with the full musical accompaniment. Lang clearly expected music to be played during the film screening. It’s quite a new paradigm.