Author Topic: What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)  (Read 333280 times)

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mozart & friends
Re: What concerts are you looking forward to? (Part II)
« Reply #4940 on: March 13, 2017, 11:12:28 AM »
Yannick Nézet-Séguin's Orchestre Métropolitain has unveiled its concert season for 2017-18.

Apart from a concert featuring the Strauss Burleske and Bruckner's 5th symphony, I look forward to this one, with a trio of great soloists:

http://orchestremetropolitain.com/en/concert/the-french-touch/
Yes ! This should be a knockout ! Les nuits d'été and the left hand concerto in the same concert that is already a treat.  And Lemieux, Tharaud and Queyras together whaouh !  I am particularly fond of Tharaud and Queyras, who have extremely interesting personalities. Give us some feedback about this concert.
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline Draško

• Veteran member
« Reply #4941 on: March 13, 2017, 11:31:27 AM »
Mahler 6th on Friday. Belgrade Philharmonic with John Axelrod conducting.
de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Offline Senta

• Duet With Harp, Berge Missakian
« Reply #4942 on: March 13, 2017, 09:58:46 PM »
Tuesday, March 7
Debussy Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun
John Adams Scheherazade.2
Stravinsky The Rite of Spring
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor
Leila Josefowicz, violin

And the piece de resistance -

Thursday, March 9
John Adams Slonimsky's Earbox
Salonen Cello Concerto [World Premiere, CSO Co-commission]
Stravinsky Petrushka
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Esa-Pekka Salonen, conductor
Yo-Yo Ma, cello

Back from Chicago! Gonna be hard to not write a book here.

Incredible experiences. Absolutely exquisite playing.

As I said to our dear GMG friend MishaK (so much fun hanging out!) - if you really love orchestral music, it should be on your list to make the pilgrimage at least once to hear the Chicago Symphony Orchestra live in Orchestra Hall!

The hall is so beautiful, historic and intimate, and the atmosphere was quite unique to me - intermission feels almost familial, much enjoyed the lively congregation around the cozy Grainger Ballroom for drinks and conversation.

Stream-of-conciousness observations:

Tuesday concert -
  • Leila Josefowicz is a FORCE! My fav violinist in contemporary music right now. She totally slayed John Adams' Scheherazade.2, staying in character the whole piece from beginning to end in the manner of an opera singer. White-hot intensity and chemistry with CSO/EPS, hearing the piece live really made me love it more.
  • CSO made Le Sacre sound effortless - reference quality. I do know more of their older recordings rather than new, so I'll confess I was expecting blow-your-hair-back-brass - that was not the case at all. The balance was superb up and down the orchestra, just right - the playing very sensitive, musical, controlled yet still passionate and punchy. Oh and, the Debussy was perfection - their principal flute sounds like warm melted butter.
  • After the Tuesday concert Artist Q&A, I got to meet Esa-Pekka and Leila!! They were both super cool. She is very fun and friendly. He is so sweet and humble. Got a pic together and he signed my Wing On Wing CD, I mentioned how much I loved his compositions and how happy I was he was getting to compose more and he actually blushed. ;)
  • (They have these Q&As after every Tuesday concert it seems - this kind of thing, much less any chance to meet the artists, would be gated behind $$$ donor levels at some orchestras (at least in the US) - so I heartily applaud the CSO for their inclusivity. Bravo!)
Thursday concert -
  • This was the first time CSO had performed Slonimsky's Earbox which surprised me, it's not a new piece. It is a complex piece though, handled beautifully. Totally amazing to hear live for any Adams fan for sure.
  • Salonen's Cello Concerto was gorgeous, as expected! Reviews etc. here, here, and here. It's an extremely ethereal piece in the first two movements, the first being quite French-influenced - the last is a soloist tour-de-force with nods to his Karawane (and lots of love for bongos.) Live looping of the solo cello is used throughout the latter half to create an otherworldly beautiful effect.
    • The 2nd movement features, as EPS described, "music to sit on your patio and watch the stars and drink wine to". Yo-Yo Ma had the audience hanging on his every note, lovingly relishing these lines, teasing out the softest, most delicate tones amid this filmy cloud of soft summery sound - you could have heard a pin drop and it was the most magical moment I've experienced in a concert hall. It was like the air had been sucked out of the room, I almost couldn't find breath until the end of the movement. Phenomenal.
    • For the curtain calls, after the first bow as they walked back to the stage door, Yo-Yo got there first and promptly shut the door on Esa-Pekka, forcing him to go back alone to thunderous applause ;) After the solo bow, Yo-Yo bounded back out to give him a bear hug, then moved on to the cello section and much of the orchestra, thought he might hug every player for a minute there!
  • Of everything I heard them play over two concerts, the Petrushka is the thing I still can't get out of my head. It was absolutely ecstatic, so richly colorful and incandescent, just felt like a huge release for all told after the concerto premiere. Brimming with wit and rhythmic groove, they were truly "on" in every way. I had this big cheesy grin on my face during the whole piece, so did not want it to end!
I am so very glad we got to go to Chicago!! Such a fun trip! (Still pretty cold though for me!)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:04:50 PM by Senta »

Offline eljr

• The problem with listening...
    Baroque/ Minimalism
« Reply #4943 on: March 14, 2017, 05:21:07 AM »
Back from Chicago! Gonna be hard to not write a book here.

Incredible experiences. Absolutely exquisite playing.

As I said to our dear GMG friend MishaK (so much fun hanging out!) - if you really love orchestral music, it should be on your list to make the pilgrimage at least once to hear the Chicago Symphony Orchestra live in Orchestra Hall!

The hall is so beautiful, historic and intimate, and the atmosphere was quite unique to me - intermission feels almost familial, much enjoyed the lively congregation around the cozy Grainger Ballroom for drinks and conversation.

Stream-of-conciousness observations:

Tuesday concert -
  • Leila Josefowicz is a FORCE! My fav violinist in contemporary music right now. She totally slayed John Adams' Scheherazade.2, staying in character the whole piece from beginning to end in the manner of an opera singer. White-hot intensity and chemistry with CSO/EPS, hearing the piece live really made me love it more.
  • CSO made Le Sacre sound effortless - reference quality. I do know more of their older recordings rather than new, so I'll confess I was expecting blow-your-hair-back-brass - that was not the case at all. The balance was superb up and down the orchestra, just right - the playing very sensitive, musical, controlled yet still passionate and punchy. Oh and, the Debussy was perfection - their principal flute sounds like warm melted butter.
  • After the Tuesday concert Artist Q&A, I got to meet Esa-Pekka and Leila!! They were both super cool. She is very fun and friendly. He is so sweet and humble. Got a pic together and he signed my Wing On Wing CD, I mentioned how much I loved his compositions and how happy I was he was getting to compose more and he actually blushed. ;)
  • (They have these Q&As after every Tuesday concert it seems - this kind of thing, much less any chance to meet the artists, would be gated behind $$$ donor levels at some orchestras (at least in the US) - so I heartily applaud the CSO for their inclusivity. Bravo!)
Thursday concert -
  • This was the first time CSO had performed Slonimsky's Earbox which surprised me, it's not a new piece. It is a complex piece though, handled beautifully. Totally amazing to hear live for any Adams fan for sure.
  • Salonen's Cello Concerto was gorgeous, as expected! Reviews etc. here, here, and here. It's an extremely ethereal piece in the first two movements, the first being quite French-influenced - the last is a soloist tour-de-force with nods to his Karawane (and lots of love for bongos.) Live looping of the solo cello is used throughout the latter half to create an otherworldly beautiful effect.
    • The 2nd movement features, as EPS described, "music to sit on your patio and watch the stars and drink wine to". Yo-Yo Ma had the audience hanging on his every note, lovingly relishing these lines, teasing out the softest, most delicate tones amid this filmy cloud of soft summery sound - you could have heard a pin drop and it was the most magical moment I've experienced in a concert hall. It was like the air had been sucked out of the room, I almost couldn't find breath until the end of the movement. Phenomenal.
    • For the curtain calls, after the first bow as they walked back to the stage door, Yo-Yo got there first and promptly shut the door on Esa-Pekka, forcing him to go back alone to thunderous applause ;) After the solo bow, Yo-Yo bounded back out to give him a bear hug, then moved on to the cello section and much of the orchestra, thought he might hug every player for a minute there!
  • Of everything I heard them play over two concerts, the Petrushka is the thing I still can't get out of my head. It was absolutely ecstatic, so richly colorful and incandescent, just felt like a huge release for all told after the concerto premiere. Brimming with wit and rhythmic groove, they were truly "on" in every way. I had this big cheesy grin on my face during the whole piece, so did not want it to end!
I am so very glad we got to go to Chicago!! Such a fun trip! (Still pretty cold though for me!)

Nice write up!

Glad you enjoyed.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 05:59:15 AM by eljr »
You practice and you get better. It's very simple.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #4944 on: March 14, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »
Squeezing in one more ... the schedule for March and April is somewhat more relaxed (other than six consecutive nights of - rather free jazz at Vortex for "Intakt in London" starting Easter Sunday  ;D), so I just snatched up the very last cheap ticket for this - have another one for Faust with Tonhalle doing the Schumann in June ... and somehow almost missed out on this, which I can't, of course, after all it's the Freiburger Barockers and I've never saw them live yet:

SO 26.03.17
19:30 Uhr, Grosser Saal
Neue Konzertreihe Zürich

Freiburger Barockorchester
Pablo Heras-Casado Leitung
Isabelle Faust Violine

Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy
Ouvertüre "Die Hebriden" op. 26
Violinkonzert e-Moll op. 64
Sinfonie Nr. 5 d-Moll op. 107 "Reformations-Sinfonie"
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:53:51 AM by king ubu »
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg.
« Reply #4945 on: March 14, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »
Atlanta Symphony Orchestra announced their 2017-18 season. A few notable ones...

https://www.atlantasymphony.org/ConcertsAndTickets/2017-18-Season

BERNSTEIN: Symphony No. 2, "The Age of Anxiety"
MICHAEL KURTH: A Thousand Words
GERSHWIN: An American in Paris
Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Piano
Robert Spano, Music Director

GANDOLFI: Four New Gardens of Cosmic Speculation
LAZIĆ: Piano Concerto "In Istrian Style"
RACHMANINOV: Symphony No. 3
Dejan Lazić, Piano

SHOSTAKOVICH: Violin Concerto No. 1
RACHMANINOV: Symphony No. 2
Augustin Hadelich, Violin
Edo de Waart, Conductor

KODÁLY: Dances of Galánta
PROKOFIEV: Piano Concerto No. 3
R. STRAUSS: Ein Heldenleben
Behzod Abduraimov, Piano
Henrik Nánási, Conductor

MICHAEL KURTH: May Cause Dizziness
BERNSTEIN: Serenade (after Plato's "Symposium")
BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 3, “Eroica”
Robert McDuffie, Violin

ENESCU: Romanian Rhapsody No. 1
SHOSTAKOVICH: Symphony No. 1
TCHAIKOVSKY: Violin Concerto
Hilary Hahn, Violin
Cristian Măcelaru, Conductor

SCHUMANN: Cello Concerto
MAHLER: Symphony No. 7
Steven Isserlis, Cello

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #4946 on: March 15, 2017, 01:24:42 PM »
March 22, an all-Messiaen concert at Montréal's Salle symphonique. Kent Nagano will be conducting the Turangalilâ Symphonie (Pierre-Laurent Aimard in the piano part).

Before intermission, L'Ascension will be played by the excellent organist, Hans-Ola Ericsson. Well, that's what I suppose. The web site is not clear about it. They provide a clip of the "organ and orchestra versions". Messiaen wrote L'Ascension for orchestra, and rewrote it for organ. I suppose a renowned soloist like Ericsson will not play just a couple of movements out 4, the whole thing playing for a meagre 25 minutes). I have Ericsson's BIS recording, so that will serve as a good preparation! I will be going with a cousin of mine. Should be a colourful evening.

Turangalilâ is a favourite of Montréal audiences. Dutoit conducted it in 2000 (I was there), then Nagano in 2011, and the McGill Symphony played it in 2015. I hope they give it a rest for some time. I like the thing (that's how I would describe it), but it may easily lapse into garishness. But then again, so can all of Messiaen's orchestral works.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #4947 on: March 15, 2017, 11:24:45 PM »
Now if this here won't be cool, I don't know  ;D

Would have enjoyed attending the symposium on Isaac as well, but alas can't make it.

Fr 24. März 19.30 h Kirche St. Peter
EXTRAKONZERT HEINRICH ISAAC

WELTLICHE WERKE

Guillaume Dufay Le serviteur hault guerdonné a3 (Rondeau)
(ca. 1400–1474) Porto, Biblioteca Municipal, Cod. 714

Heinrich Isaac
Le serviteur a3 (instrumental)
Florenz, Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale, ms. Banco Rari 229

Anonym
Tart ara mon cuer sa plaisance a3
Paris Bibliothèque Nationale nouv. Acq. Fr. 4379

Heinrich Isaac
Tartara a3 (instrumental)
Canti C numero cento cinquanta, Ottaviano dei Petrucci, Venedig 1504
La morra a3 (instrumental)
Harmonice Musices Odhecaton A, Ottaviano dei Petrucci, Venedig 1503
De tous biens playne / Et qui lui dira a2
Segovia, Archivo Capitular de la Catedral, Ms s.s.
Fortuna in mi (Intabulierung)
Hans Kotter: «Deutsche Orgeltabulatur» 1532, Basel, Universitätsbibliothek F. IX. 22
Fammi una gratia, amore a3
Florenz, Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale, Ms. Magliabecchi XIX 59
Sempre giro piangendo a3 (instrumental)
Florenz Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale, Ms. Magliabecchi XIX 59
Ach, was will doch mein Hertz a4
Johannes Ott, Hundert und fünfftzehen guter newer Liedlein, Nürnberg 1544
In meinem Sinn a4 (instrumental)
München, Universitätsbibliothek der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, SS 80 328-331
Mein Freud allein a4
Johannes Ott, Hundert und fünfftzehn guter newer Liedlein, Nürnberg 1544
Der Hundt: Das Kind lag in der Wiegen a3 (instrumental)
Hieronymus Formenschneyer, Trium vocum carmina, Nürnberg 1539
Es wollt ein Meydlein grasen gan a4
Liederbuch, Peter Schöffer, Mainz 1513

Els Janssens-Vanmunster Gesang
LES FLAMBOYANTS
Silvia Tecardi Viola d’arco
Elizabeth Rumsey Viola da gamba
Marc Lewon Plektrumlaute und Viola d’arco
Michael Form Flöte und Leitung

–Pause –

GEISTLICHE WERKE

Heinrich Isaac
Sub tuum praesidium

Josquin Desprez (1540/45–1521)
Salve regina

Heinrich Isaac
Ave regina caelorum
Rogamus te
O praeclarissima

Costanzo Festa (ca. 1490–1545)
In illo tempore

Heinrich Isaac
Tota pulchra
O decus ecclesiae

CANTICA SYMPHONIA
Laura Fabris Sopran
Giuseppe Maletto Tenor und Leitung
Gianluca Ferrarini Tenor
Marco Scavazza Bariton
Mauro Morini Posaune

more info here:
http://www.altemusik.ch/
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #4948 on: March 18, 2017, 11:54:04 PM »
Just cack from a performance of Rimsky's "The legend of Kitezh" with Opera Bergen last night. Strange story, not much drama, but: the score of this opera is so mindnumbingly beautiful. This simply must be the most wonderful orchestral score of any opera ever.

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #4949 on: March 18, 2017, 11:59:58 PM »
This simply must be the most wonderful orchestral score of any opera ever.
IT IS !
A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
  • With the greatest of ease.
« Reply #4950 on: March 20, 2017, 04:44:32 PM »
Widmann: Con Brio (2013 version) 
Brahms: Double Concerto               
Beethoven: Symphony No. 7

Scottish Chamber Orchestra
Robin Ticciati - Conductor
Tanja Tetzlaff - Cello
Christian Tetzlaff - Violin
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #4951 on: March 21, 2017, 05:55:46 AM »
Tonight:

Alban Berg Ensemble Wien*

Program

Joseph Haydn
Sy. No.104, „Salomon”

Amy Beach
Theme & Variations, op. 80

—  —

Antonín Dvořák
Quintet G, op. 18

* the Alban Berg Ensemble Wien is really the pimped-up Hugo Wolf Quartet.

Offline eljr

• The problem with listening...
    Baroque/ Minimalism
« Reply #4952 on: March 24, 2017, 03:21:12 AM »
Tonight,
Friday, March 24, 2017
C.P.E. Bach's Saint John Passion
7:30 pm   – 9:30 pm, Saint Thomas Church
Opening with Haydn's Passion Symphony, this evening of Baroque music for Lent highlights two works by of one of Bach's talented sons, Carl Philipp Emanuel: Klopstock's Morning Song of Creation and the Saint John Passion (1772). New York Baroque Incorporated performs with the Saint Thomas Choir of Men and Boys under the baton of Daniel Hyde.

The space is beautiful. Just across from Trump's home in TRump Tower on Fifth ave.

You practice and you get better. It's very simple.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #4954 on: March 25, 2017, 09:43:41 AM »
Now if this here won't be cool, I don't know  ;D

Would have enjoyed attending the symposium on Isaac as well, but alas can't make it.

Fr 24. März 19.30 h Kirche St. Peter
EXTRAKONZERT HEINRICH ISAAC

WELTLICHE WERKE

Guillaume Dufay Le serviteur hault guerdonné a3 (Rondeau)
(ca. 1400–1474) Porto, Biblioteca Municipal, Cod. 714

Heinrich Isaac
Le serviteur a3 (instrumental)
Florenz, Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale, ms. Banco Rari 229

Anonym
Tart ara mon cuer sa plaisance a3
Paris Bibliothèque Nationale nouv. Acq. Fr. 4379

Heinrich Isaac
Tartara a3 (instrumental)
Canti C numero cento cinquanta, Ottaviano dei Petrucci, Venedig 1504
La morra a3 (instrumental)
Harmonice Musices Odhecaton A, Ottaviano dei Petrucci, Venedig 1503
De tous biens playne / Et qui lui dira a2
Segovia, Archivo Capitular de la Catedral, Ms s.s.
Fortuna in mi (Intabulierung)
Hans Kotter: «Deutsche Orgeltabulatur» 1532, Basel, Universitätsbibliothek F. IX. 22
Fammi una gratia, amore a3
Florenz, Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale, Ms. Magliabecchi XIX 59
Sempre giro piangendo a3 (instrumental)
Florenz Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale, Ms. Magliabecchi XIX 59
Ach, was will doch mein Hertz a4
Johannes Ott, Hundert und fünfftzehen guter newer Liedlein, Nürnberg 1544
In meinem Sinn a4 (instrumental)
München, Universitätsbibliothek der Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, SS 80 328-331
Mein Freud allein a4
Johannes Ott, Hundert und fünfftzehn guter newer Liedlein, Nürnberg 1544
Der Hundt: Das Kind lag in der Wiegen a3 (instrumental)
Hieronymus Formenschneyer, Trium vocum carmina, Nürnberg 1539
Es wollt ein Meydlein grasen gan a4
Liederbuch, Peter Schöffer, Mainz 1513

Els Janssens-Vanmunster Gesang
LES FLAMBOYANTS
Silvia Tecardi Viola d’arco
Elizabeth Rumsey Viola da gamba
Marc Lewon Plektrumlaute und Viola d’arco
Michael Form Flöte und Leitung

–Pause –

GEISTLICHE WERKE

Heinrich Isaac
Sub tuum praesidium

Josquin Desprez (1540/45–1521)
Salve regina

Heinrich Isaac
Ave regina caelorum
Rogamus te
O praeclarissima

Costanzo Festa (ca. 1490–1545)
In illo tempore

Heinrich Isaac
Tota pulchra
O decus ecclesiae

CANTICA SYMPHONIA
Laura Fabris Sopran
Giuseppe Maletto Tenor und Leitung
Gianluca Ferrarini Tenor
Marco Scavazza Bariton
Mauro Morini Posaune

more info here:
http://www.altemusik.ch/
Some thoughts about this ... first of all, it was wonderful to hear early music in concert, and hear it played well and sung outstandingly well! I never had the chance so far to hear any early vocal music in concert and Cantica Symphonia were excellent indeed.

My German write-up on which the following is based found here:
http://forum.rollingstone.de/foren/topic/konzertimpressionen-und-rezensionen/page/3/#post-10127669

Extrakonzert Heinrich Isaac
Festival Alte Musik Zürich – Kirche St. Peter – 24.3.

Part 1 - Les Flamboyants & Els Janssens-Vanmunster

This was my first visit to Festival Alte Musik in Zürich, running for fifteen years it seems (that's how far the festivals listed - or and more recently two per year - in the programme go back), without me having heard of it. This year's festival was mostly dedicated to Claudio Monteverdi, but the most interesting concerts took and will take (tomorrow) place on evenings I can't make it: there was a long afternoon/evening/night with excerpts from the Madrigal books by Voces Suaves last saturday, a "Vespro Veneziano" with La Cetra (cond. Andrea Marcon) last Sunday, and tomorrow La Venexiana will do "Scene and ballets", but I have a ticket for Isabelle Faust and the Freiburger Barockorchester, cond. Pablo Heras-Casado ... can't have it all). I also missed out on the symposium held on Isaac on Friday afternoon and this morning, as I had to work last Friday, exceptionally (Friday is my day off, otherwise - exceptionally bad timing but beyond my influencing, alas). The Isaac concert though, the fourth item on the programme that looked really enticing to me, I was able to attend, after a long day and week, but I was luckily able to stay awake throughout.

In the first half, secular works were presented by Les Flamboyans (Silvia Tecardi on viola d’arco, Elizabeth Rumsey on viola da gamba, Marc Lewon on plectrum lute and viola d’arco as well, and leader Michael Form on recorder) and singer Els Janssens-Vanmunster. This was interesting, pretty, nice, sometimes funny – but it failed to really grab me  by the balls (uhm), which was then kinda achieved by the final song (preceding the encore), "Es wollt ein Meydlein", the words of which I added as my signature already, as some may have noted:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

(A maid went grazing:
Fuck me, dear Peter!
And where the red roses rise:
Fuck me, dear Peter!
Fuck me, more, you have your hon'r.
Can you not, I will teach you.
Fuck me, dear Peter!
- my own lacking translation, the rhyme more/honour doesn't work really, sorry 'bout that - but we all had um, a ball, as did Ms Janssens-Vanmunster  ;D)

What exactly was played before I can't tell with 100% accuracy, as the sheet with sung words that was handed out was announced to present the correct sequence, but there was one set of lyrics on it that weren't sung (and some stanzas were sung that weren't on the sheet, but I think they belonged to songs listed), while the instrumentals listed in between weren't quite in that sequence I think ... it didn't really ad up anyway. A pity they couldn't present proper information, as Isaac's music isn't exactly common place.

The encore of the first half was "Innsbruck, ich muss dich lassen", before that the pieces presented were: Dufay's "Le Serviteur" as opener, after that I think "Le Serviteur" and/or "La Morra" (instrumentals by Isaac), after that the chanson "Et qui lui dira" (not sure what this is ... there was a set of lyrics under the title "De tous biens plaine/Et qui lui dira" that wasn't sung, then there was another set under the heading "Et qui lui dir" with a note stating that the "lines of text are fragments from chansons of the time" - what does that mean? was this a pasticchio put together by Les Flamboyans? by Isaac? by somebody else?). The other songs were "Fammi una gratia" (wonderful!), "Ach, was will doch mein Herz" and "Mein Freund allein", as well as the funny little ditty quoted above on prepotent Dona..., uhm, Peter I mean (which had a great vocal part, with lots of melismas and stuff - who would do all that, was this noted in detail or does the singer do it on her own? Either way: chapeau!). In between, there were more instrumentals, including "Der Hundt: Das Kind lag in der Wiegen" – about this piece, Michael Form, the leader of the ensemble, is quoted at some length in the programme: "verarbeitet Isaac im Tenor jeweils die Melodie Das Kind lag in der Wiegen / do bissen es die Fliegen. Gut möglich, dass das arme Kind im weiteren Verlauf des Textes, den ich bis jetzt nicht zur Gänze ausfindig machen konnte, auch noch vom Hundt gebissen wird ..." (the rhyme doesn't work, but: in the tenor voice Isaac works in the melody of the song "The child lay in the cradle, it was itched by the flies" ... and Form goes on speculating, that it may have been bit by the dog (Hundt) later on in the so far not recovered lyrics of that song). In addition to that, I assume they played "Fortuna in mi" and "Sempre giro piangendo" and probably one more ("In meinem Sinn" or "Mein Freund allein"?) – as I said, a pity that the exact proceedings weren't communicated.

Part 2 Cantica Symphonia/Giuseppe Maletto

The second half was dedicated to sacral music presented by Cantica Symphonia (Laura Fabris, soprano; Giuseppe Maletto, tenor & director; Gianluca Ferrarini, tenor; Marco Scavazza, baritone; Mauro Morini, trombones) – and this then was truly outstanding! For starters, they did Isaac's "Ave regina caelorum" followed by a wonderful "Salve regina" by Josquin, then again Isaac with "Sub tuum praesidium", "Rogamus te" and "O praeclarissima", followed by Costanzo Festa's "In illo tempore" and then by "Tota Pulchra", again by Isaaac. Other than the last piece and "O praeclarissima", they're all on the on the Isaac disc by the groupe (on Glossa), which was my first encounter with both Isaac and Cantica Symphonia. Didn't find the time (and the mood) to re-listen before the concert, but it groups various sacred motets around the "Missa Misericordias Domini".

Either way, this was the first time I witnessed polyphonic vocal music in concert, partly sung a cappella, partly with a trombone (also a kind of slide trumpet sometimes, but I guess this is also called trombone? at least so it was announced both in the concert and in the printed programme) providing a Cantus firmus. This was sung extremely well, and I was mightily impressed indeed!

Closing the proceedings was a premiere, an arrangement of "O decus ecclesiae" (also found on the CD) by Maletto, combining his group's voices (and trombone) with the vour instrumentalists of Les Flamboyants. This was nice, but to me it proved mostly that I will likely always prefer this kind of music in a capella (or very, very sparsely accompanied - the trombone worked perfectly well) versions. It was a bit as if the instrumentalists were switched on and off several times, a cappella parts followed after accompanied ones, and it didn't really add up to all that much, I found.

As a final encore, Cantica Symphonia did Isaac's „Greatest Hits“ – which is, I guess, one short motet titled "La mi la sol", composed 1502 in what has turned out to be my "Sehnsuchtsort" last June (that word cannot be translated adequately into English, it will just sound silly), the wonderful city of Ferrara.

I would have loved to hear more of Cantica Symphonia's art, but I assume presenting such music in concert is extremely demanding. Planning to play CD again in the next few days ... and actually, with Presto's running a Glossa sale, I have several of the ensemble's discs on order right now (including the three Dufay ones). There was, to be precise, absolutely nothing wrong with Les Flamboyans, it's just that I have been fascinated by polyphonic early music for a long time and enjoy it much more than any kind of instrumental music from the Renaissance period I've so far heard (and more than most chansons or single voice w/accompaniment pieces, though there must be exceptions there, but I guess those would be from somewhat later periods going into early Baroque, mostly).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #4955 on: March 25, 2017, 10:23:48 AM »
March 31, De Doelen, Rotterdam: Rotterdam PhO under Sir Mark Elder, Marieke Blankestijn violin

Debussy - Prélude à l’après-midi d’un faune
Debussy - La mer
Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending
Vaughan Williams - Symphony No. 4
 :)
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #4956 on: March 25, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »
Really looking forward to a concert coming up in June. Melbourne Symphony Orchestra conducted by Andrew Davis in Haydn's Creation. Will be lots of fun! I'm in the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra Chorus now so there'll be quite a few concerts this year I'll participate in. :)   

Offline GioCar

« Reply #4957 on: March 27, 2017, 11:23:49 PM »
I'm trying to convince Mrs GioCar to join me tonight:

Concerto Italiano
Rinaldo Alessandrini direttore

Monteverdi – Notte. Storie di guerrieri e d’amanti

Sinfonia (da Orfeo, atto terzo)
Hor che’l ciel e la terra
Così sol d’una chiara fonte viva (da Madrigali Guerrieri et Amorosi)
Sinfonia (da Madrigali Guerrieri et Amorosi)
Combattimento di Tancredi e Clorinda (da Madrigali Guerrieri et Amorosi)
Vivrò fra i miei tormenti, Lamento di Tancredi
Ma dove, oh lasso me!, dove restaro
Io pur verrò là dove sète, e voi (Terzo Libro de’ Madrigali)
Sinfonia (da Il ritorno di Ulisse in patria, atto secondo)
Non havea Febo ancora recato al mondo il dì
Amor – dicea, Lamento della Ninfa
Sì tra sdegnosi pianti (da Madrigali Guerrieri et Amorosi)
Al lume delle stelle (da Concerto. Settimo Libro de’ Madrigali)
Sinfonia (da Il ritorno di Ulisse in patria, atto primo)
A dio, Florida bella, il cor piagato (da Sesto Libro de’ Madrigali)
Sinfonia (da Concerto. Settimo Libro de’ Madrigali)
Ecco mormorar l’onde (da Secondo Libro de’ Madrigali)
Quando l’alba in oriente (da Scherzi Musicali)

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #4958 on: March 28, 2017, 06:44:49 AM »
Decided on short notice to go to the Irish Chamber Orchestra's performance of Mozart and Mendelssohn (flavored) on Friday (I think), and how good that I did.

If Igor Levit is the least of the ingredients on a night, it can't have been that bad.

Review: Irish Chamber Orchestra On Tour With A Mendelssohn Revelation

The Irish Chamber Orchestra may not be much of an established brand in the international orchestra-world,
but they are on their best way of getting there. Currently on a on-and-off tour of continental Europe, they
are spreading their excellence in places like Brussels, Freiburg, Vienna and Heidelberg. It helps that they
surround themselves with interesting and good musicians. Among them “Principal Artistic Partner” (a bit
labored, their titles) Gábor Tákacs Nagy, that old-school continental musician with semi-quavers running in
his veins, “Principal [Guest] Conductor and Artistic Partner” composer-clarinetist-conductor Jörg Widmann,
and, on this tour, Igor Levit, one of a hot new generation of musicians; a young-ish, nicely severe pianists...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2017/03/28/review-irish-chamber-orchestra-on-tour-with-a-mendelssohn-revelation/

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #4959 on: March 28, 2017, 07:26:04 AM »
The Messiaen concert was fabulous. Pierre-Laurent Aimard and Nagano played the hell out of Turangalilâ.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK