Author Topic: The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread  (Read 732348 times)

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
  • So much to listen, so little time...
    • Harry's classical music corner
Re: The Super-Duper Cheap Bargains Thread
« Reply #6240 on: August 31, 2017, 10:43:02 PM »
On JPC de the label Berlin classic. clearance sale 131 titles from 2,99 € on, many fine bargains.

https://www.jpc.de/s/Lagerr%C3%A4umung+Berlin+Classics?searchtype=campaigntext
You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6241 on: September 01, 2017, 04:58:20 PM »
Thanks Harry, I put a couple of them in my cart !  ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, an exploration of the JPC web site innards unearthed these:

I have a couple of these discs as individual releases. This is excellent music and production values are very high. I won't go for the whole affair (29 discs comprising 135 violin concertos plus a few others for flute or cello), but at the price, it's a steal ! 39.99€.

Sample clips can be found here: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/saemtliche-violinkonzerte/hnum/7354466

And this, too, looks enticing:

I'm tempted by that one, 10 discs comprising Viotti's 29 violin concertos, all for 19.99€. The Dynamic label is usually very trustworthy oin all respects.

Sample clips on the JPC pag here: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Giovanni-Battista-Viotti-1755-1824-Violinkonzerte-Nr-1-29/hnum/2969664
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:00:29 PM by André »

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
« Reply #6242 on: September 01, 2017, 11:39:32 PM »
Thanks Harry, I put a couple of them in my cart !  ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, an exploration of the JPC web site innards unearthed these:

I have a couple of these discs as individual releases. This is excellent music and production values are very high. I won't go for the whole affair (29 discs comprising 135 violin concertos plus a few others for flute or cello), but at the price, it's a steal ! 39.99€.

Sample clips can be found here: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/saemtliche-violinkonzerte/hnum/7354466

And this, too, looks enticing:

I'm tempted by that one, 10 discs comprising Viotti's 29 violin concertos, all for 19.99€. The Dynamic label is usually very trustworthy oin all respects.

Sample clips on the JPC pag here: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Giovanni-Battista-Viotti-1755-1824-Violinkonzerte-Nr-1-29/hnum/2969664

Thank you Andrei, I did not see this deal on Dynamic boxes, both are in my basket now. For the Tartini I can give a firm recommendation, the Viotti is a mixed blessing but for this price that's okay!
You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

Offline Martin H

« Reply #6243 on: September 02, 2017, 03:29:33 AM »
Good things do come to those who wait ........

Back in April, Paul@Presto on April 07, 2017, 12:51:59 PM posted

amazon.co.uk has the Complete Strauss opera box on DG for £11.31
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Richard-Strauss-Complete-Operas-box/dp/B00G4PV0H2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491598174&sr=8-1&keywords=strauss+operas

I ordered the set, like many others here, but after endless delays, Amazon UK in July cancelled the orders, saying the set had become unavailable and could not be sourced. I queried (as other members did) the accuracy of this statement, because it was still available on their site (though through another seller), and then got a call from customer services in UK. In our discussion, the representative insisted it would not have been cancelled because of the very low price; it was simply that their supplier could not produce the goods for them.
If I wanted, I could relist my purchase (at the original price - £12.80, with delivery), though he did not think it would actually produce the desired result.
So I tried again.

And a month later, lo and behold this morning they delivered the set.
Wonders never cease - and not just in the performances.

Offline Drosera

• Currently Listening to:
    Gregorian chant to Penderecki
« Reply #6244 on: September 02, 2017, 03:50:49 AM »
Good things do come to those who wait ........

Back in April, Paul@Presto on April 07, 2017, 12:51:59 PM posted

amazon.co.uk has the Complete Strauss opera box on DG for £11.31
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Richard-Strauss-Complete-Operas-box/dp/B00G4PV0H2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491598174&sr=8-1&keywords=strauss+operas

I ordered the set, like many others here, but after endless delays, Amazon UK in July cancelled the orders, saying the set had become unavailable and could not be sourced. I queried (as other members did) the accuracy of this statement, because it was still available on their site (though through another seller), and then got a call from customer services in UK. In our discussion, the representative insisted it would not have been cancelled because of the very low price; it was simply that their supplier could not produce the goods for them.
If I wanted, I could relist my purchase (at the original price - £12.80, with delivery), though he did not think it would actually produce the desired result.
So I tried again.

And a month later, lo and behold this morning they delivered the set.
Wonders never cease - and not just in the performances.

Quite a story! And congratulations on getting it for that price.

I was one of many whose orders of the same got cancelled in the end. But I always have the feeling it doesn't pay to start complaining to such a moloch as Amazon. I feel a bit silly now.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6245 on: September 02, 2017, 07:57:25 AM »
Same here, the order was cancelled. OTOH my appetite for the complete Strauss operas has waned somewhat, so I won't cry over spilled milk in this case  :-\

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6246 on: September 02, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »
Thank you Andrei, I did not see this deal on Dynamic boxes, both are in my basket now. For the Tartini I can give a firm recommendation, the Viotti is a mixed blessing but for this price that's okay!

I'm honored to have tipped you, Harry . You often direct us to some great deals, so here's your turn !

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #6247 on: September 05, 2017, 09:34:11 PM »
À chacun son goût.

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
« Reply #6248 on: September 05, 2017, 10:14:26 PM »
A steal at 13 euros!  :)

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/norddeutsche-orgelmeister/hnum/1407337

Q

I have all the individual releases, also bought for small prices, but this beats everything.
Another recommendation.

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
« Reply #6249 on: September 08, 2017, 11:21:28 PM »
For those that like new music...The label Kairos 40 titles 3,99€ on JPC de.

https://www.jpc.de/s/Kairos+-+Neue+Musik+nun+g%C3%BCnstig?searchtype=campaigntext

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    The WTC
« Reply #6250 on: September 11, 2017, 03:47:27 PM »
This used to be about double this price, as an import--which I already thought was a great bargain. Price has plummeted to little over a dollar a disc. 

This is also about $1.30 a disc.

It's all good...

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #6251 on: September 11, 2017, 06:29:32 PM »

Two more sets available for $4.03 at Amazon. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:55:46 PM by Todd »
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #6252 on: September 11, 2017, 06:30:46 PM »

One set available for $4.93, standard Amazon Prime.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #6253 on: September 12, 2017, 11:05:43 PM »

Deluxe-Edition zum 80.Geburtstag von Fritz Wunderlich mit 6 CDs mit Arien & Liedern, der Bonus-CD "Belcanto heißt Schöngesang" (eine Dokumentation als Hörbuch),einer Bonus-Vinyl-Single (A-Seite: Schubert, Wiegenlied D. 498; B-Seite: Meyer-Helmund, Gute Nacht, mein holdes süßes Mädchen) sowie einem 120-seitigen Buch mit bisher unveröffentlichten Fotos aus dem Privat-Archiv der Familie Wunderlich.
    1.CD Arien aus Opern von Händel, Gluck, Mozart
    2.CD Arien aus Opern von Rossini, Bellini, Verdi, Puccini, Bizet u. a.
    3.CD Geistliche Arien von Bach, Händel, Haydn, Verdi
    4.CD Wiener Operettenmelodien von J. Strauss II, Benatzky, Kalman, Stolz u. a. 5.CD Schlager: Granada, O sole mio, Ein Lied geht um die Welt u. a.
    6.CD Lieder von Haydn, Beethoven, Strauss
    +Bonus-CD "Belcanto heißt Schöngesang" (eine Dokumentation als Hörbuch)
    +Vinyl-Single

Artists: Fritz Wunderlich u. a.
    Label: DGG, ADD
    Order number: 1638530
    Release date: 19.8.2010

12.99 @ JPC

This has certainly been surpassed by the big box released last year (didn't go for it), but it's a lovely package with select recordings and a book full with photos (not sure if the notes are in english, too - would have to check at home tonight.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Drosera

Gregorian chant to Penderecki
« Reply #6254 on: September 12, 2017, 11:49:10 PM »
Perhaps not exactly super-duper, bit still 50% off on an apparently very Polish label (Acte Prealable) at JPC:

https://www.jpc.de/s/Acte+Prealable+limitiert+g%C3%BCnstig?searchtype=campaigntext
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:16:10 AM by Drosera »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #6255 on: September 13, 2017, 07:13:47 AM »
Perhaps not exactly super-duper, bit still 50% off on an apparently very Polish label (Acte Prealable) at JPC:

https://www.jpc.de/ff/Acte+Prealable+limitiert+g%C3%BCnstig?page=6&searchtype=campaigntext

I've had a conversation with the owner of Acte Prealable. Their mission to serve as an archive of little-known Polish classical music has been held up by an unlikely enemy - librarians.

From a couple MusicWeb reviews I've done on their discs:

[2013] "The most interesting part of this CD is actually the booklet note, where producer Jan A. Jarnicki includes a two-page rant furiously explaining his hatred of libraries. It seems that the library where the Humorous Quartet score is kept did not allow them to use the score for this recording. They used it anyway, but instead of telling us how - a tantalizing mystery - Jarnicki insinuates things about the library’s “lady president”, faults the librarians for losing materials during World War II, and asks, “Why do we need libraries in Poland, particularly those funded or aided through the taxpayer’s money?” "

[2014] "Jan A. Jarnicki, curator of the Acte Prealable record label, once again has reason to be angry with librarians. The first time I reviewed an Acte Prealable album, there was an angry note that a library archive in Poland, which housed much old Polish music, refused to let Jarnicki borrow the scores for the purposes of creating a recording. After writing the review, I had conversations with Jarnicki (“Poland is a very strange country”) and a librarian friend who expressed disapproval of the library’s practices. These [Józef] Wieniawski scores were also recorded over objections from archivists."

I do recommend the Józef Wieniawski D major symphony CD to fans of late-romantic byways and romantic nationalist scores. The Dvorak & Penderecki string quintets CD is my favorite disc from the label, so far - everyone could use a copy of that.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #6256 on: September 13, 2017, 09:28:05 AM »
Thanks, Brian, this is very interesting. As one with a good-sized collection of (mostly late XIXth and XXth century) polish music I should - and will - explore this further.  Our old friend Maciek provided me with dozen upon dozen usable links of music by Nowokowski, Lason, Meyer, Sikorski, Szymanski, etc. I sent him a can of maple syrup to thank him for his effort. His kids were very intrigued  :D.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #6257 on: September 13, 2017, 12:49:21 PM »
17€ for the Wergo "50 Years - Music of Our Time" set, which contains five original albums wrapped in a cardboard box - check back cover for details:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Wergo-50-Years/hnum/2691669

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #6258 on: September 17, 2017, 07:35:53 AM »
4.95€ + shipping on German Amazon.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline flyingdutchman

« Reply #6259 on: September 17, 2017, 08:47:27 AM »

Two more sets available for $4.03 at Amazon.

I've heard that the Bescol set isn't very good.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK