Author Topic: Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony  (Read 18570 times)

Offline JRJoseph

• Currently Listening to:
    Baroque to some modern
Re: Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2017, 06:54:39 AM »
I actually heard the Manfred a few weeks ago by the New York Phil. here in NYC.  The audience went wild thinking they had heard a great performance but I felt it dragged in spots and the slow movement seemed endless although it was exciting in spots.  It certainly was great to hear it live.  The conductor was S, Bychkov.  It received a poor review from the NY Times critic who complained about sloppy playing and timing problems.  I own the Muti and Plentev (?) versions.  I am still looking for a better recording and understanding version of this great but sprawling work.

Online PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2017, 07:03:51 AM »
I rather like Ashkenazy and Chailly, especially Chailly. The Concertgebouw just has the right chops and flair to pull this one off.

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
    Bruckner, Beethoven, Bach, Shostakovich
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2017, 07:53:48 AM »
Kitayenko, Rostropovich, and Svetlanov are wonderful.  Excellent sound and performances.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2017, 08:46:24 AM »
Great to read more thoughts on this work  :)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2017, 12:44:32 PM »
My favourite is still the Svetlanov with the bogus ending (used years ago in a TV dramatisation of Anna Karenina along with Glazunov's 'Finnish Fantasy'). I also still like the Goossens recording with the original ending.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2017, 12:49:15 PM »
I actually heard the Manfred a few weeks ago by the New York Phil. here in NYC.  The audience went wild thinking they had heard a great performance but I felt it dragged in spots and the slow movement seemed endless although it was exciting in spots.  It certainly was great to hear it live.  The conductor was S, Bychkov.  It received a poor review from the NY Times critic who complained about sloppy playing and timing problems.  I own the Muti and Plentev (?) versions.  I am still looking for a better recording and understanding version of this great but sprawling work.

Great to read more thoughts on this work  :)

I have mentioned this earlier, but one of the greatest recordings of it is a version (there is a cut in the finale, which some say is warranted) by Toscanini with the NBC Orchestra:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IbPKC2ii9W0&amp;index=2&amp;list=PLAjaJgK3Be--OwoE6LEkAczfScMWep-I9" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IbPKC2ii9W0&amp;index=2&amp;list=PLAjaJgK3Be--OwoE6LEkAczfScMWep-I9</a>
"Now who taught ye t' be playin' patty fingers in the holy water?"

- Barry Fitzgerald to John Wayne in  The Quiet Man.

Offline Draško

• Veteran member
de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2017, 02:28:33 AM »
I have mentioned this earlier, but one of the greatest recordings of it is a version (there is a cut in the finale, which some say is warranted) by Toscanini with the NBC Orchestra:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IbPKC2ii9W0&amp;index=2&amp;list=PLAjaJgK3Be--OwoE6LEkAczfScMWep-I9" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IbPKC2ii9W0&amp;index=2&amp;list=PLAjaJgK3Be--OwoE6LEkAczfScMWep-I9</a>

Unfortunately this video is not available to me.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »

Unfortunately this video is not available to me.

Strange: no idea about the problem!
"Now who taught ye t' be playin' patty fingers in the holy water?"

- Barry Fitzgerald to John Wayne in  The Quiet Man.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »
Seems like it's just available in the US.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2017, 01:21:46 AM »

Don't worry, it can be a common enough problem around here. Thanks for posting anyway  :)

Offline bluto32

« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2017, 02:43:19 AM »
... Has the main Manfred theme of the symphony ever been used in a film score? Or maybe for a TV series a long time ago? I've got a feeling I've heard it somewhere...

Anyone? I feel so sure I've heard this in a movie a long time ago, but have had no luck searching for what it might be online.
(Or perhaps I'm just going senile  :-\)

Bluto

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2017, 03:14:24 AM »
Unfortunately I cannot help here. Don't worry about the senility though  ;D

Offline Laece

Music for upcoming performances
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »
Hi guys ! Are you aware, there is a new recording of Tchaikovsky's Manfred by V. Petrenko (Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra).

http://www.naxos.com/feature/Tchaikovsky_Manfred_Symphony_CD.asp

The performance is excellent in my opinion. One of the very best recording of the piece.

Completely agree with this.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK