Author Topic: Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier  (Read 203576 times)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
Re: Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier
« Reply #1480 on: December 10, 2018, 02:22:08 AM »
One harpsichordist who still uses a Pleyal is Wladyslaw Klosiewicz. Here's a bit of Francois Couperin

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/btSRnPyZOXo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/btSRnPyZOXo</a>

and here's a whole recital with Bach and others

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0OEV_06qW0I" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0OEV_06qW0I</a>
What do you think? I think it's interesting in a way but also somewhat grating. I have his Froberger recording which I remember liking though. I wonder if it's on this.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1481 on: December 12, 2018, 09:39:13 AM »
What do you think? I think it's interesting in a way but also somewhat grating. I have his Froberger recording which I remember liking though. I wonder if it's on this.

I tend to agree.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #1482 on: December 12, 2018, 11:16:26 AM »

That’s a lot of sustain in the first section. Maybe it fits the program, but to my ears it is overboard for the music. I enjoyed the rest quite a bit though, regardless of its level of authenticity.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1483 on: January 03, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
Listening to Till Fellner today and I'm finding a lot of inspiration in it. It's the first time I've heard of him. Is it true that he hasn't done book 2 yet?

Offline Ras

« Reply #1484 on: January 04, 2019, 11:09:46 AM »
Listening to Till Fellner today and I'm finding a lot of inspiration in it. It's the first time I've heard of him. Is it true that he hasn't done book 2 yet?

Yes, that is true, but he did record : Bach: Inventionen Und Sinfonien/Frenc Suite V -  also for ECM:

"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1485 on: January 04, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »
Yes, that is true, but he did record : Bach: Inventionen Und Sinfonien/Frenc Suite V -  also for ECM:

This is lively. Looking forward to his WTC II.

Offline Ras

Keith Jarrett's book 1 on piano
« Reply #1486 on: January 07, 2019, 06:33:41 AM »
Hi milk
Just in case you don't know: 

There is another pianist/harpsichordist on ECM the jazz-legend Keith Jarrett.

His recording of Bach WTC 1 on piano stands out in a strange way: by not standing out! At least that was my reaction to it when I first heard it. To me it sounds as if he has tried to make a "nake" or "objective" as opposed to a "subjective" romantic interpretation. (Try before buying though if you can)

Beware if like me you are "harpsichord-challenged" - K. Jarrett's WTC book 2 on the same label is played on harpsichord.

His Handel piano recording is my favorite in that repertoire:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:56:31 AM by Que »
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Offline milk

• Veteran member
Re: Keith Jarrett's book 1 on piano
« Reply #1487 on: January 08, 2019, 02:41:01 AM »
Hi milk
Just in case you don't know: 

There is another pianist/harpsichordist on ECM the jazz-legend Keith Jarrett.

His recording of Bach WTC 1 on piano stands out in a strange way: by not standing out! At least that was my reaction to it when I first heard it. To me it sounds as if he has tried to make a "nake" or "objective" as opposed to a "subjective" romantic interpretation. (Try before buying though if you can)

Thanks! I'd especially like to check out his Handel!

Beware if like me you are "harpsichord-challenged" - K. Jarrett's WTC book 2 on the same label is played on harpsichord.

His Handel piano recording is my favorite in that repertoire:

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #1488 on: January 09, 2019, 02:20:42 AM »
I'm a big admirer of Jarrett's solo jazz playing, but his forays into baroque music seem strangely pale and bloodless to me.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1489 on: January 09, 2019, 04:55:00 AM »
I'm a big admirer of Jarrett's solo jazz playing, but his forays into baroque music seem strangely pale and bloodless to me.

My view is that what he does is quite charming, but somehow it's more like hearing an amateur play that a professional -- there's not the same sort of nuanced and expressive and bold and imaginative voice-relationships and attacks and ornaments that you get with Egarr or Asperen.  And the things don't sound so good either IMO -- I don't know if it's the way he plays  or the way it's recorded or just the instrument he uses or what. But the almost naive lyrical approach is charming. But really, someone who had only heard his French Suites or WTC would have no idea how much more multi-layered, how much deeper, the music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1490 on: May 01, 2019, 12:59:51 PM »

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.