Author Topic: Bach Goldberg Variations  (Read 51865 times)

Offline ChopinBroccoli

Re: Bach Goldberg Variations
« Reply #320 on: July 19, 2019, 10:05:16 AM »
Yes, Sony "06" as long as folks know that's it's simply the Gould "55" all gussied up to not sound like an historical recording.  Personally, I think it's only part Gould.  Let's face it - this tinkering around with the sound takes some of the fizz out of the performance.

Can't see any good reason to mess with the 1955 original... it's such an iconic recording ... I'm not a big Gould fan but I love the original Goldberg; it is a classic... I know Gould fans love the '81 version but I can't tolerate it, his vocalizations are pronounced to an infuriating extent and some of the tempos are just so ponderously slow that it feels like The Goldberg Variations was composed by Satie

Gould was a marvelous piano player but what he wanted to hear and what I want to hear seldom meet despite my best efforts to give him repeated listening
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:43:20 AM by ChopinBroccoli »
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

Offline Forever Electoral College

• Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #321 on: September 13, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »

I think all the praise this is receiving is deserved.

Not a big fan of GV. But I found her interpretation fresh and charming.

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #322 on: September 14, 2019, 03:01:59 PM »
What is the "Sony '06" Goldberg Variations, and what did they change about it? I'm assuming the changes were more intrusive than your typical remaster...?

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #323 on: September 14, 2019, 11:06:02 PM »
What is the "Sony '06" Goldberg Variations, and what did they change about it? I'm assuming the changes were more intrusive than your typical remaster...?

It took me a few minutes to figure out that "Sony 06" probably refers to the 2006 reissue of Glenn Gould's studio recordings....

This describes the technical details:

Gould's Goldbergs have been reissued many times from LP to CD to Super Audio CD (SACD), but this three-CD boxed set—the first deluxe fruit of the new partnership between Sony Classical and Sony's reissue arm, Legacy—is their definitive presentation, released to mark the dual 70th anniversary of Gould's birth and 20th anniversary of his death. Not only has the 1955 recording been remastered anew at 24-bit/96kHz, but the 1981 recording has also been fully restored by going back to a newly rediscovered analog tape that ran simultaneously with the pioneering digital recording that had been used for the master of the LP, CD, and initial SACD versions. The early digital recording offered silent background and extreme clarity but sacrificed warmth and depth. The freshly edited and remastered analog version here sounds remarkably superior, with wonderful body and presence.

I think the '81 shows the biggest improvement, with the analogue recording providing more natural sound than the early digital recording.

Q

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #324 on: September 15, 2019, 05:36:41 AM »
The Gould ‘55 performance was analyzed and quantised via computer to get the exact duration, key velocity and volume data of the original performance, without any of Gould’s vocal additions, and then played back through (I think) a Yamaha disklavier (a normal grand piano but with all the hammers controlled by computer). This was then recorded. The idea was to produce an alternative to remastering, especially for recordings that were too old to be successfully mastered, but I don’t know that any other “re-performances” were ever done.

Offline Ras

« Reply #325 on: September 15, 2019, 07:31:24 AM »
The Gould ‘55 performance was analyzed and quantised via computer to get the exact duration, key velocity and volume data of the original performance, without any of Gould’s vocal additions, and then played back through (I think) a Yamaha disklavier (a normal grand piano but with all the hammers controlled by computer). This was then recorded. The idea was to produce an alternative to remastering, especially for recordings that were too old to be successfully mastered, but I don’t know that any other “re-performances” were ever done.

Yes, there are a few more of those so-called "Zenph" recordings - Rachmaninov - Art Tatum - Oscar Peterson:

https://www.amazon.de/s?k=zenph&i=popular&dc&qid=1568564917&ref=aw_s_fkmr0

But I only have the Gould - I like it.
"Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable." - Carl Nielsen

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #326 on: September 15, 2019, 09:26:32 AM »
It took me a few minutes to figure out that "Sony 06" probably refers to the 2006 reissue of Glenn Gould's studio recordings....

This describes the technical details:

I think the '81 shows the biggest improvement, with the analogue recording providing more natural sound than the early digital recording.

Q

That was my first guess too, but it looks like this was actually released in 2002.

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #327 on: September 15, 2019, 09:28:34 AM »

... no way... that is fascinating, but surely this takes something away from the music...? I'll have to listen and see. I enjoy Gould's vocalizations. It wouldn't be Gould without them.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #328 on: September 15, 2019, 04:08:58 PM »
... no way... that is fascinating, but surely this takes something away from the music...? I'll have to listen and see. I enjoy Gould's vocalizations. It wouldn't be Gould without them.

It would also not be on Gould's piano in Gould's recording space.

Admittedly, those two factors were not so important with early Gould as with later Gould, but still....

I have the State of Wonder set. In fact, it's my only copy of either of Gould's GVs. The third Cd, btw, is an interview  of Gould by Tim Page.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #329 on: September 15, 2019, 05:17:09 PM »
I have posted this before. It is a useful tool. http://www.davegrossman.net/gould/
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #330 on: September 15, 2019, 05:37:24 PM »

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #331 on: September 15, 2019, 05:48:26 PM »
I have posted this before. It is a useful tool. http://www.davegrossman.net/gould/

;D I want that Keith Jarrett edition.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #332 on: September 16, 2019, 12:07:34 AM »
"At last I can enjoy Bach by Gould without the distraction of his humming and other bodily functions. Now he's almost as fabulous as me!"

:laugh: :laugh:  ??? ???  :laugh: :laugh:

"This is scandalous! You have understood nothing about the music of Glenn. His singing and humming, as you say, is what makes is music wonderful. It shows that he plays the piano not to amaze his public but to play music for music and for the arts! ...

:laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh: