Author Topic: Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Bicentennial Celebration!  (Read 17808 times)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Unfinshed symphony No. 6
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »
Greetings Gerd!

Welcome back!

I will need some time to peruse your score: many thanks for sharing it!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
Re: Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) - Bicentennial Celebration!
« Reply #101 on: August 09, 2018, 10:53:59 PM »
What is the consensus on the Brilliant complete chamber music box?

I'm not aware of any consensus... but looking at the ingredients, it seems to be a very mixed bag, indeed. But Joan Berkhemer and the Trio he's in with Klara Wuertz are second rank but top-notch musicians whom I'd put some faith into giving very musical accounts. But the quartets and quintets, I wouldn't bank on top-notch stuff. But you would have those already in this MUST-MUST-MUST HAVE box, right?!?!  [The Re-Issue]

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2018, 06:39:00 AM »
What is the consensus on the Brilliant complete chamber music box?

The consensus is just what any other composer's Brilliant complete chamber music box is: a mixed bag but at this price a no-brainer.  :D
I compose music because I must give expression to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts. --- Rachmaninoff

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2018, 11:25:53 AM »
Much as I enjoy a lot of Mendelssohn’s music, I will admit that it rarely plumbs great emotional depths (which isn’t a bad thing). However, one exception is the powerful slow movement of his String Quintet no. 2, which has a grave, almost Bachian stateliness with its “walking bass” cello line. It rises to a climax of great emotional intensity not often found in Mendelssohn’s output.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2018, 12:46:14 AM »
Much as I enjoy a lot of Mendelssohn’s music, I will admit that it rarely plumbs great emotional depths (which isn’t a bad thing). However, one exception is the powerful slow movement of his String Quintet no. 2, which has a grave, almost Bachian stateliness with its “walking bass” cello line. It rises to a climax of great emotional intensity not often found in Mendelssohn’s output.

Also the string quartets, esp. the F Minor, which is a heartrending masterpiece the equal of anything ever composed for string quartet.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »
Also the string quartets, esp. the F Minor, which is a heartrending masterpiece the equal of anything ever composed for string quartet.

Yes, the F minor quartet is a great work as well. There’s also some poignant moments in his first two quartets.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2018, 04:57:58 AM »
I think that St. Paul is AT LEAST as good an oratorio as Elijah - and it has the benefit of not being about an ISIS-style religious fanatic mass murderer.

Latest on ClassicsToday:

Rilling’s Budget #Mendelssohn; A Reference St. Paul Oratorio At The Center

(insider)

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2019, 01:22:11 AM »
Any Mendelssohn fans familiar with this?

Just played it, and liked it a lot, but all I could think was "Is this really Mendelssohn?"
    It is so turbocharged and aggressively dynamic, from start to finish, that it doesn't fit my impression of the composer at all.  Most of my M focuses on long, beautiful lines and rich sonic color. However, it is generally pretty staid and placid.  This disk reminds me of LP days from my youth, playing a 33RPM at 45 to see how it would sound...
It's all good...

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2019, 01:40:11 AM »
I remember sampling it and not being impressed at all by what I heard.

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2019, 10:38:45 PM »
Brenda Lucas Ogdon was John Ogdon’s wife and partner in an LP he made of duets by Debussy and Bizet,  Last year she released this recording of WTC 2, on a modern piano, ...

Seeing Brenda Lucas mentioned in a thread elsewhere reminded me of this Mendelssohn recording which was a great favourite of mine back in the day - a wonderful antidote to the heavier fare that I mostly listened to at that time.

Both concertos are now available as disc 2 of this compilation.

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty