Author Topic: Webern's Vibe  (Read 24010 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Erich Wolfgang Korngold (1897 - 1957)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Shchedrin, Khachaturian, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Dvořák, Martinů, Respighi, Malipiero, Walton, Copland, Barber, Villa-Lobos
Re: Webern's Vibe
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2019, 06:03:33 PM »
This is the image I used for my Schoenberg t-shirt:
“Music is music whether it is for the stage, rostrum or cinema .” - Erich Wolfgang Korngold

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2019, 06:13:28 PM »
One of my all-time favorite works is Schoenberg’s Five Pieces for Orchestra. For me, it is better than anything that has come before and after in his oeuvre. I’m a huge fan of this middle period or as it’s been called ‘free atonal period’ where there’s no rules and is completely up in the air as far as where the music goes. Five Pieces for Orchestra resonates deeply for me because you can hear a composer that knows he can no longer accept the German/Austrian tradition (even though he never truly abandoned it and, ironically, felt he was a part of the same lineage as Schubert, Brahms, Wagner, etc.). Schoenberg, of course, never fully turned his back on tonality and many of his works embraced it. He’s actually not difficult to crack at all, but he does require much listening in order to fully assimilate everything that is happening in his music. I, too, prefer the string sextet arrangement of Verklärte Nacht, but I like the string orchestra arrangement as well.

Perhaps not in a general sense, but for me, he is, especially compared to supposedly "difficult" composers like Webern and Boulez who came to me very easily. It's much the same way that I feel about Brahms. His music is a constantly rewarding challenge, a puzzle for my brain to work together. It's all so layered, dense, and contrapuntal, and there is always so much going on as you allude to. For this reason it is extremely rewarding to repeated listens. I feel the same way about late Webern, but again, I find it much more simple on a fundamental level.

Speaking of late Webern, I got two CDs today that contain recordings of the piano variations. I'm listening to one of them now...:

Pretty damn good recording, I think. More fiery than my preferred recording, from a young Idil Biret.

This is the other one I got:

Have yet to hear it, but the Schoenberg on there is pretty damn solid!

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2019, 06:15:42 PM »
This is the image I used for my Schoenberg t-shirt:

Awesome, I love that self-portrait. Schoenberg was one hell of a painter!

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #143 on: December 30, 2019, 06:21:12 PM »
This is the other one I got:

Have yet to hear it, but the Schoenberg on there is pretty damn solid!

That Peter Hill recording is very good, IMO.  It has become my go-to recording for the solo piano music of these composers.