Author Topic: Alan Rawsthorne  (Read 15473 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Re: Alan Rawsthorne
« Reply #120 on: July 13, 2019, 10:00:16 PM »
Yes, Jeffrey, I have, the piano concertos are quirky works full of wittiness. The Symphonic Studies not yet (I think).

"Bitter sweet" sounds very apt to me.

The Symphonic Studies is arguably Rawsthorne's masterpiece so do give that a listen to Cesar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2019, 10:02:12 PM »
A most interesting CD.

A good trivial pursuit question (easily looked up on Wiki). What is the connection between Alan Rawsthorne, Constant Lambert and The Who?
There's an interesting companion disc featuring Lambert's own compositions:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Irons

« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2019, 10:41:46 PM »
There's an interesting companion disc featuring Lambert's own compositions:

Who are performing Lambert's works, Jeffrey?
And behind the slime and the croaking there was , sure enough, like an old master beneath a layer of dirt, the noble outline of that divine music. - Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf.

Offline Irons

« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2019, 11:01:36 PM »
I know that Lambert and Rawsthorne liked cats but not sure about The Who connection Lol.

I think Vaughan Williams liked cats too. Not that, though. A bit complicated (most British composers seem to have had a complicated love-life) so I will quote Wiki -

Rawsthorne was married to Isabel Rawsthorne (née Isabel Nicholas) an artist and model well known in the Paris and Soho art scenes. Her contemporaries included André Derain, Alberto Giacometti, Picasso and Francis Bacon. Isobel Rawsthorne was the widow of Constant Lambert and stepmother to Kit Lambert, manager of the rock group The Who, who died in 1981. Isabel died in 1992. Rawsthorne was her third husband; Sefton Delmar (the journalist and member of Special Operations Executive during the Second World War) was her first husband. Isabel was Alan Rawsthorne's second wife, the first being Jessie Hinchliffe, a violinist in the Philharmonia.
And behind the slime and the croaking there was , sure enough, like an old master beneath a layer of dirt, the noble outline of that divine music. - Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2019, 12:24:05 AM »
Who are performing Lambert's works, Jeffrey?
Lol
The Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra (now RLPO presumably) for part of Horoscope and the Philharmonia Orchestra for other sections.

Philharmonia for 'Apparitions'

Sadlers' Wells Orchestra for 'Dante Sonata'

Philharmonia with Kyla Greenbaum (piano) and Gladys Ripley (contralto) in 'The Rio Grande'.

I'm currently listening to Lambert's performance of Rawsthorne's 'Symphonic Studies' from the companion disc. It is indeed a marvellous performance with great urgency.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2019, 12:45:40 AM »
I think Vaughan Williams liked cats too. Not that, though. A bit complicated (most British composers seem to have had a complicated love-life) so I will quote Wiki -

Rawsthorne was married to Isabel Rawsthorne (née Isabel Nicholas) an artist and model well known in the Paris and Soho art scenes. Her contemporaries included André Derain, Alberto Giacometti, Picasso and Francis Bacon. Isobel Rawsthorne was the widow of Constant Lambert and stepmother to Kit Lambert, manager of the rock group The Who, who died in 1981. Isabel died in 1992. Rawsthorne was her third husband; Sefton Delmar (the journalist and member of Special Operations Executive during the Second World War) was her first husband. Isabel was Alan Rawsthorne's second wife, the first being Jessie Hinchliffe, a violinist in the Philharmonia.
Thanks. I knew that Rawsthorne married the widow of Lambert and read an interesting biogpraphy of Lambert years ago. The Who connection rings a bell. Both Lambert and Kit were buried or had their ashes deposited at Brompton Cemetry next to the block of flats where I grew up in London. I recall that, in a TV interview, Walton, on being asked what he thought of the modern music scene responded: 'Well, I don't like groups like The Who' which he pronounced 'Whooooo'.

Offline Irons

« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2019, 05:03:38 AM »
Lol
The Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra (now RLPO presumably) for part of Horoscope and the Philharmonia Orchestra for other sections.

Philharmonia for 'Apparitions'

Sadlers' Wells Orchestra for 'Dante Sonata'

Philharmonia with Kyla Greenbaum (piano) and Gladys Ripley (contralto) in 'The Rio Grande'.

I'm currently listening to Lambert's performance of Rawsthorne's 'Symphonic Studies' from the companion disc. It is indeed a marvellous performance with great urgency.

Many thanks for that Jeffrey. I have a recording of Gladys Ripley singing Elgar's "Sea Pictures". Well done to Pearl for featuring Lambert so strongly when apart from "The Rio Grande" he is largely ignored.

Rawsthorne's "Symphonic Studies" is one of my favourite Lyrita recordings but even that does not compare with the fire and as you say, urgency, that Lambert produces.

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2019, 09:08:44 AM »
Walton, on being asked what he thought of the modern music scene responded: 'Well, I don't like groups like The Who' which he pronounced 'Whooooo'.

Well - he obviously wasn't Talkin' 'bout my generation !

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2019, 09:43:33 AM »
Many thanks for that Jeffrey. I have a recording of Gladys Ripley singing Elgar's "Sea Pictures". Well done to Pearl for featuring Lambert so strongly when apart from "The Rio Grande" he is largely ignored.

Rawsthorne's "Symphonic Studies" is one of my favourite Lyrita recordings but even that does not compare with the fire and as you say, urgency, that Lambert produces.

One of my favourite Lyrita LPs (and great cover photo of AR) and another great nostalgia trip!

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2019, 09:44:05 AM »
Well - he obviously wasn't Talkin' 'bout my generation !
Haha very true  :)

Online kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2019, 06:56:24 PM »
I really like the elegant, witty, inventive PCs - Rawsthorne at his most accessible - as well as the later Cello Concerto, which is a bleak, defiant, and gripping work. Also, I sampled the 3rd Symphony recently which I found rather “grey”. I do recall liking the Symphonic Studies.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Irons

« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2019, 10:18:57 PM »
An imaginative programme which boasts about the most unflattering image of Rawsthorne. Sadly the violin is recorded far too closely for comfort.