Author Topic: Bach's Bungalow  (Read 78241 times)

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod nigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Bach's Bungalow
« Reply #500 on: March 23, 2017, 03:45:22 AM »
Bach-chanalia!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. Franoise Gilot

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #501 on: April 13, 2017, 02:53:08 PM »
Classical CD Of The Week: Johann Sebastian Clown

http://bit.ly/CDoftheWeek054

Johann Sebastian Clown: For all those unafraid of garish colors, subwoofer-busting bass, and liberal applications of tremulant and celeste, this is the ticket!

Offline α |

• Veteran member
  • Variations of Armature Pianist and Arm Chair Paris
« Reply #503 on: July 17, 2017, 12:05:00 AM »
Bach, your masses and oratorios are the shit dude!   :-*

Also, send an organ my way if you wish? I would like compose an organ concerto  8)

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #504 on: August 05, 2017, 03:53:52 AM »
Firing Line with William F. Buckley Jr.: The Fight for Bach: Guest: Rosalyn Tureck
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uyvuITxVgd4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uyvuITxVgd4</a>

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #505 on: October 11, 2017, 12:46:58 PM »

Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier: Forget-Me-Nots And Intimations Of Mortality (Classical CD Of The Week)

And Eff the "(C?)Avi" label for not being able to make its mind up about how they should be called or spelled. What a nuisance and what a moronic strategy to be ambiguous about one's name.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #506 on: October 11, 2017, 08:49:12 PM »
 I thought Dantone's was a characterful interpretation of Book 2, more so than Rousset's in fact. I don't mean this as a value judgement at all. What are the contradictions that Zhu Xiao Mei's meddles? 

How did you chose those recordings to review?

Your website keeps crashing on my iPad, other websites don't.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:16:46 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darber muss man schweigen

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #507 on: October 12, 2017, 02:52:10 AM »

Your website keeps crashing on my iPad, other websites don't.

That's a pity; not my website, of course, but it would probably be much appreciated if you made Forbes aware of that problem at feedback@forbes.com. Sounds annoying.

I thought Dantone's was a characterful interpretation of Book 2, more so than Rousset's in fact.

I've not listened to Dantone a whole lot; enough to like it a lot, though. [Thanks, Qobuz!] Less forced and with a bit more air than Rousset, probably... whose WTC is very peated, if you will.

What are the contradictions that Zhu Xiao Mei's melds? 

Math and Joy. Seriousness and ecstasy. Day and Night. Her's an interpretation that either seems to defy simple tagging or allows to concurrently associate either end of the emotional spectrum. It's not scientific, I'm afraid. But it's my instinctive reaction to it.

How did you choose those recordings to review?

I pulled them off my shelf, basically... The two on the piano are recent recordings; one I had reviewed for a German magazine... they seemed to offer a nice contrast. And I wanted to write about Rousset, so I wedged him into this. Also to make sure that there's no danger of associating these works with the piano, too much.  :-\

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK