Author Topic: Bach's Bungalow  (Read 122289 times)

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
Re: Bach's Bungalow
« Reply #640 on: July 14, 2019, 11:17:48 AM »
I have a lot of respect for MacGregor and I really wish she’s had a go at WTC.

She can be found on YouTube playing some WTC - I've got lifts of Book 1 nos 15-24.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:16:37 AM by aukhawk »

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #641 on: July 14, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »
Ingrid Haebler's set of French suites really is outstanding in my opinion. The last few months have been a little bit stressful for me and I haven't wanted to listen to anything loud or jarring. Haebler is certainly very calm. Yet she's also pertinacious; she has a definite view of the whole. I like her calmness, her little tasteful but creative touches, etc. I was just thinking back to other recordings of this that I've liked in the past that take a different route. Haebler is touching and melancholic and even a bit romantic. But her romanticism is just how I like it. One can almost hear an echo of Chopin in her Sarabandes, however her use of dynamics is subtle and judicious. The romanticism is more in her tone (articulation?).

Did you ever listen to Ashkenazy's Partitas? There is definitely a Chopinesque feel to how he plays them.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #642 on: July 14, 2019, 11:59:12 PM »
Did you ever listen to Ashkenazy's Partitas? There is definitely a Chopinesque feel to how he plays them.
I'm not sure I have. I'm looking through my playlists. Actually, I don't think it's on Amazon Music - which I've been using. His WTC is there though. I wonder how that is...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:00:58 AM by milk »

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #643 on: July 15, 2019, 12:52:10 AM »
At the risk of saying something nonsensical (again) here, I have the impression that MacGregor has thought really well about how to put a harpsichord or clavichord piece from the C18 century onto a modern piano - the way she makes the voices relate to each other, and the sort of touch she employs. I have a lot of respect for McGregor and I really wish she’s had a go at WTC.
Her AoF is pobably my favourite modern piano recording, FWIW (probably not much)

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #644 on: July 15, 2019, 03:24:17 AM »
This is a link to a YouTube playlist, Joanna MacGregor, Bach WTC Bk1, 13-24.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBjoEdEVMABLOSOLViTUYcBgOa3jjysep

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #646 on: October 22, 2019, 10:35:41 PM »
A rerelease (I presume) of Koopman: Bach's Cantatas       0:)

Jan 2020 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Complete-Cantatas-Vol-1-22/dp/B07XW5WSPN/

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #647 on: October 23, 2019, 02:57:53 AM »
A rerelease (I presume) of Koopman: Bach's Cantatas       0:)

Jan 2020 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Complete-Cantatas-Vol-1-22/dp/B07XW5WSPN/

Looking forward to seeing what the presentation will look like. Wolf's essays were an integral part of the original releases. Which is also how I will finish this set: Getting used copies of those volumes I'm still lacking.

For all the great competition since (notably Bach Stiftung St. Gallen [ClassicsToday reviews here & here] and Suzuki and Kuijken's 1-year cycle), I love this cycle very dearly over-all... and it probably is my emotional favorite.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #648 on: November 25, 2019, 06:41:34 AM »
 According to Keith Hill,  Friedrich Griepenkerl (who collected and published J S Bach's organ music for the first time, and may have studied with Forkel, who may have studied with Bach's children) wrote a letter (to whom?) saying

Quote from: Keith Hill here https://www.wolfgangrubsam.com/types-of-music
Bach himself, his sons, and Forkel played the masterpieces with such a profound declamation that they sounded like polyphonic songs sung by individual great artist singers.  Thereby, all means of good singing were brought into use.  No cercare, No portamento was missing, even breathing was in all the right places.  Bach's music wants to be sung with the maximum of art.

though we must bear in mind that Griepenkerl was born after well after J S Bach had died! He's two generations removed from J S Bach.

My question really is -- what is cercare?

By the way, I'll just say that I'm completely smitten with Rubsam's Goldberg Variations! 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 06:46:44 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #649 on: November 27, 2019, 03:37:35 PM »
My question really is -- what is cercare?

It seems related to or maybe even synonymous with the word ricercare (which means to seek), but what the specific meaning is in this context (used as a noun?) I don't know.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    Machaut Dufay Ockeghem Bach Haydn Mozart Beethoven Liszt Schumann Brahms
« Reply #650 on: December 08, 2019, 03:39:57 PM »
I just began listening to the Bach Foundation cantata recordings:

Name: J.S. Bach-Stiftung
Venues: Evangelische Kirche, Trogen, canton of Appenzell
Years: Since 2006 (Cantata Series)
Months: January-December (7-10 concerts per year; in each concert one cantata is performed)
Artistic Director: Rudolf Lutz
Ensembles: Choir and Orchestra of the J.S. Bach Foundation (formerly Schola Seconda Pratica)

The J.S. Bach Foundation (J.S. Bach-Stiftung) has embarked on a remarkable undertaking: over a period of some 25 years, the Foundation will perform the complete vocal works by J.S. Bach (1685-1750).

Each month, one of the over 200 Bach cantatas is performed in the idyllic town of Trogen in Appenzell, Switzerland. With a rhythm of 12 cantatas per year, the project is estimated to conclude in the year 2030. All introductory workshops, concerts and reflection lectures on the cantata texts are recorded on DVD and CD; the texts of the lectures are published in a continually expanding Bach Anthology.

The main aim of the J.S. Bach Foundation's ambitious project is to provide a living Bach experience for today's listeners and to deepen our understanding of the great composer's works. The artistic director of the foundation is Rudolf Lutz, who rehearses and conducts all performances with the choir, orchestra and solo vocalists.   

• Performance of the complete vocal works of Bach
    One concert per month, with an estimated duration of 25 years
    All concerts are performed on period instruments
    With conductor Rudolf Lutz, a musical experience of the highest quality is guaranteed
    Complementary workshops and reflection lectures on libretti and music
    Every performance is released on DVD, the cantatas on CD and the texts appear in a Bach Anthology

The project is fully financed by private persons.  (The Bach Cantatas website)

So far, I am finding this cycle to be extremely well done and very enjoyable.  The soloists sound to my ears all very good, and the period orchestra plays well as does the choir sing.  All in all this cycle is another contender to join the top tier of cantata recordings, at least IMO. 

They have also recorded the Mass in B Minor, St. Matthew Passion and St. John Passion along with 21 29 volumes so far of the cantatas.

Their website.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 03:48:10 PM by San Antone »

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #651 on: December 09, 2019, 02:12:46 AM »
I'm not much of a one for the Cantatas (since I don't have much German and even less religious feeling) but I watched/listened to this:
Actus Tragicus BWV106 : Netherlands Bach Society : Jos van Veldhoven

Just meltingly beautiful, immaculately played and sung, and fine production.  I strongly recommend setting aside 20 minutes of your time for this.
Bach's audacious instrumentation - NO violins, 2 recorders, 2 gambas - and then what he achieves with them - as one of the musicians says in an accompanying interview, the young Bach (22, it is thought) creates effects here that he never repeats in his lifetime.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 02:14:35 AM by aukhawk »

Offline vers la flamme

« Reply #652 on: December 09, 2019, 03:08:15 AM »
I'm not much of a one for the Cantatas (since I don't have much German and even less religious feeling) but I watched/listened to this:

Just meltingly beautiful, immaculately played and sung, and fine production.  I strongly recommend setting aside 20 minutes of your time for this.
Bach's audacious instrumentation - NO violins, 2 recorders, 2 gambas - and then what he achieves with them - as one of the musicians says in an accompanying interview, the young Bach (22, it is thought) creates effects here that he never repeats in his lifetime.

Does anyone know how it gained the name "Actus Tragicus"? I agree that it is an amazing cantata. Read along while you listen if you can.

I've been listening to the Andrew Manze Bach violin concerti CD on Harmonia Mundi lately. It's amazing. Manze is a badass for conducting from the violin. I didn't even know that was possible. Ms Podger is also great on the double concerti.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #653 on: December 09, 2019, 03:18:44 AM »
I just began listening to the Bach Foundation cantata recordings:

So far, I am finding this cycle to be extremely well done and very enjoyable.  The soloists sound to my ears all very good, and the period orchestra plays well as does the choir sing.  All in all this cycle is another contender to join the top tier of cantata recordings, at least IMO. 

They have also recorded the Mass in B Minor, St. Matthew Passion and St. John Passion along with 21 29 volumes so far of the cantatas.

Their website.

I'm a big fan of that cycle. We've reviewed a few volumes on ClassicsToday (https://www.classicstoday.com/recordlabel/bach-stiftung-st-gallen/; vols. 10, 12, 23, 26 and I plan to review a few more) and I've reviewed their Vols. 22, 13, and B-Minor for Forbes. Never crazy amazing -- always directly to the heart and wonderful music-making.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2018/06/06/classical-cd-of-the-week-from-switzerland-with-bach-cantatas-to-grip-you/, https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2017/03/22/classical-cd-of-the-week-birthday-boy-bach-cantata-diversity/, https://www.forbes.com/sites/jenslaurson/2017/06/27/review-the-fastest-b-minor-mass-on-record/,

Offline aukhawk

• Veteran member
  • Frankie
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #654 on: December 09, 2019, 03:49:37 AM »
I've been listening to the Andrew Manze Bach violin concerti CD on Harmonia Mundi lately. It's amazing. Manze is a badass for conducting from the violin. I didn't even know that was possible. Ms Podger is also great on the double concerti.

We've been spoiled, with new releases of the violin concertos recently.  I thought Faust was terrific, a 2-CD set released at the start of this year, but now I've been won over by Debretzeni/Gardiner recently released.  Both these include the 'reconstructed' D Minor concerto BWV 1052 (more commonly found as a harpsichord concerto) which I think is Bach's most brilliant orchestral work bar none.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #655 on: December 09, 2019, 06:30:44 AM »

Thanks. It's so nice to see it done in the church. I would love to go to a Eucharist with a cantata sung, in the way Bach intended.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen