Author Topic: Bach's Bungalow  (Read 113900 times)

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
Re: Bach's Bungalow
« Reply #640 on: July 14, 2019, 11:17:48 AM »
I have a lot of respect for MacGregor and I really wish she’s had a go at WTC.

She can be found on YouTube playing some WTC - I've got lifts of Book 1 nos 15-24.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:16:37 AM by aukhawk »

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #641 on: July 14, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »
Ingrid Haebler's set of French suites really is outstanding in my opinion. The last few months have been a little bit stressful for me and I haven't wanted to listen to anything loud or jarring. Haebler is certainly very calm. Yet she's also pertinacious; she has a definite view of the whole. I like her calmness, her little tasteful but creative touches, etc. I was just thinking back to other recordings of this that I've liked in the past that take a different route. Haebler is touching and melancholic and even a bit romantic. But her romanticism is just how I like it. One can almost hear an echo of Chopin in her Sarabandes, however her use of dynamics is subtle and judicious. The romanticism is more in her tone (articulation?).

Did you ever listen to Ashkenazy's Partitas? There is definitely a Chopinesque feel to how he plays them.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #642 on: July 14, 2019, 11:59:12 PM »
Did you ever listen to Ashkenazy's Partitas? There is definitely a Chopinesque feel to how he plays them.
I'm not sure I have. I'm looking through my playlists. Actually, I don't think it's on Amazon Music - which I've been using. His WTC is there though. I wonder how that is...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:00:58 AM by milk »

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #643 on: July 15, 2019, 12:52:10 AM »
At the risk of saying something nonsensical (again) here, I have the impression that MacGregor has thought really well about how to put a harpsichord or clavichord piece from the C18 century onto a modern piano - the way she makes the voices relate to each other, and the sort of touch she employs. I have a lot of respect for McGregor and I really wish she’s had a go at WTC.
Her AoF is pobably my favourite modern piano recording, FWIW (probably not much)

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #644 on: July 15, 2019, 03:24:17 AM »
This is a link to a YouTube playlist, Joanna MacGregor, Bach WTC Bk1, 13-24.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBjoEdEVMABLOSOLViTUYcBgOa3jjysep