Author Topic: Ottorino Respighi(1879-1936)  (Read 19132 times)

Online Baron Scarpia

Re: Ottorino Respighi(1879-1936)
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2018, 11:11:30 AM »
Lopez-Cobos really liked Respighi it seems. While I was working for the Cincinnati Orchestra during my conservatory days he also conducted Respighi's orchestration of some of Rachmaninoff's Etudes Tableaux. I don't know if they ever recorded them. The materials (Ricordi?) were full of errors and needed a thorough proof-reading before they were ready for prime time. Strange, I think Rachmaninoff himself made that complaint about the Respighi orchestrations.

Perhaps Lopez-Cobos was being true to the score, but the score needs finessing.

It is something which I find is common to Telarc recordings in Cincinnati, brass sound is too heavy and in your face. I had this impression of the Lopez-Cobos/Cincinnati Bruckner recordings as well. Perhaps an unfortunate feature of the acoustics of the hall and Telarc's puritanical recording technique. I do not find it to be a problem with Telarc recordings in other venues.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:15:16 AM by Baron Scarpia »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2018, 12:38:02 PM »
Just ordered this:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline BasilValentine

« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2018, 03:33:56 PM »
Perhaps Lopez-Cobos was being true to the score, but the score needs finessing.

It is something which I find is common to Telarc recordings in Cincinnati, brass sound is too heavy and in your face. I had this impression of the Lopez-Cobos/Cincinnati Bruckner recordings as well. Perhaps an unfortunate feature of the acoustics of the hall and Telarc's puritanical recording technique. I do not find it to be a problem with Telarc recordings in other venues.

The score needed more than finessing. There were lots of wrong notes and other sloppy errors. Not to mention that the orchestration itself wasn't very good, but that's another issue.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Igor Stravinsky (1882 - 1971)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The sound of Rites, Firebirds, Fairies, and Card Games
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2018, 06:28:14 PM »
Just ordered this:

How is Neschling’s Respighi series, Jeffrey? Worth buying?
"I haven't understood a bar of music in my life, but I have felt it.” - Igor Stravinsky

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2018, 07:50:57 PM »
Never mind, Jeffrey. ;)

Cross-posted from the ‘Purchases’ thread -

Bought a good bit of Respighi:

"I haven't understood a bar of music in my life, but I have felt it.” - Igor Stravinsky

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2018, 12:16:33 AM »
Never mind, Jeffrey. ;)

Cross-posted from the ‘Purchases’ thread -

Excellent John! My copy hasn't arrived yet but look forward to receiving it. I like the programme on the disc.
 :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2018, 05:59:16 AM »
Excellent John! My copy hasn't arrived yet but look forward to receiving it. I like the programme on the disc.
 :)

Do you own the rest of Nechling’s Respighi recordings on BIS, Jeffrey? Would be curious to know what you think of the performances?

Online Baron Scarpia

« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2018, 07:22:06 AM »
The score needed more than finessing. There were lots of wrong notes and other sloppy errors. Not to mention that the orchestration itself wasn't very good, but that's another issue.

I guess you are referring to those transcriptions of Rachmaninoff, I was thinking of the Metamorphoseon.

Anyway, didn't have too much time available yesterday, but did listen to the first movement of the Piano Concerto in a-minor. (Maybe, strictly speaking it is not a distinct movement, it is played attacca. Beautiful writing for piano and more subtlety in handling the orchestra. Tozer is impressive, as usual. This piece has potential!  I look forward to listening to the whole thing soon.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2018, 07:37:07 AM »
Added these two recordings since my initial Respighi order:

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2018, 12:10:14 PM »
The only one I know John is the last one you posted with Concerto in Modo Misolido on - a fine CD and that Concerto has a lovely memorable tune.

Offline pjme

« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2018, 12:01:01 AM »
Lopez-Cobos really liked Respighi it seems. While I was working for the Cincinnati Orchestra during my conservatory days he also conducted Respighi's orchestration of some of Rachmaninoff's Etudes Tableaux. I don't know if they ever recorded them. The materials (Ricordi?) were full of errors and needed a thorough proof-reading before they were ready for prime time. Strange, I think Rachmaninoff himself made that complaint about the Respighi orchestrations.

They did :

See evt.: https://www.allmusic.com/composition/%C3tudes-tableaux-5-for-orchestra-orchestrated-by-o-respighi-p-160-in-his-catalogue-mc0002570527
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 12:11:00 AM by pjme »

Online Baron Scarpia

« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2018, 08:56:37 AM »
Had a chance to listen to Respighi's piano concerto in a-minor in its entirety. I really enjoyed the work. Beautiful piano writing, skillful use of the orchestra (individual instruments interacting with the soloist, tasteful accompaniment, impressive tutti's). The work is rhapsodic in character, but relatively succinct (doesn't overstay its welcome). Downes/Tozer with the BBC philharmonic does a great job. I will be looking for more recordings of Respighi Piano and Orchestra and more recordings of Respighi from Downes (I think I have 2 of 4 discs that were released).

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK