Author Topic: Cyril Rootham (1875-1938)  (Read 9509 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Cyril Rootham (1875-1938)
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2017, 04:58:15 PM »
Went on a little Rootham shopping spree:
Three wonderful discs - you won't be disappointed John. If you like Bliss, which you do ( :)) you should like Rootham's First Symphony. Rootham was the teacher of Bliss and his first symphony shares something of the open-air quality and great slapping brass passages of Bliss's 'A Colour Symphony' they are both very genial works but not without depth. The Rootham Symphony 1 has a fine tune which suddenly appears like that at the end of Vaughan Williams's 6th Symphony first movement - in the Rootham it's in the final movement. The Second Symphony is something quite different. Written when he was very ill at the end of his life. I find the final minutes, with a choral accompaniment, to be heart breakingly beautiful. The other disc is wonderful too - one of the last new LPs I bought in 1987.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mike Oldfield (1953 -)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Mike Oldfield, Steve Hackett, Anathema, Rush, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Björk, David Sylvian, Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, Roxy Music, Phil Manzanera, Camel
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2017, 05:02:09 PM »
Three wonderful discs - you won't be disappointed John. If you like Bliss, which you do ( :)) you should like Rootham's First Symphony. Rootham was the teacher of Bliss and his first symphony shares something of the open-air quality and great slapping brass passages of Bliss's 'A Colour Symphony' they are both very genial works but not without depth. The Rootham Symphony 1 has a fine tune which suddenly appears like that at the end of Vaughan Williams's 6th Symphony first movement - in the Rootham it's in the final movement. The Second Symphony is something quite different. Written when he was very ill at the end of his life. I find the final minutes, with a choral accompaniment, to be heart breakingly beautiful. The other disc is wonderful too - one of the last new LPs I bought in 1987.

Great to hear, Jeffrey. I already listened to Symphony No. 1 earlier and found it quite enjoyable indeed. Looking forward to hearing the rest! :)
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Offline DanielR

• Cyril Rootham (1875 - 1938)
    • rootham.org
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2017, 06:34:21 AM »
While this chap is mostly regarded for his vocal music,  the total neglect of his chamber music in this day and age of releasing/recording-releasing just about anything under the sun is a bit bewildering:

String Quintet in D   (1908)
String Quartet in C   (1914)
Suite for Flute & Piano  (1921)
Sonata in G for violin & piano  (1925)
Septet for Viola, wind quintet & Harp  (1930)
Piano Trio  (1931)

an exception:
Violin Sonata in G minor

I agree with you.  Over the past few years and with help from friends, I have arranged the typesetting of several of Rootham's chamber works. These works are now typeset, and most have been proofread:
  • op 8   (1900)  Impressions pour Violon et Piano 
  • op 12  (1906)  Réminiscences des Alpes Bavaroises  (for violin and piano)
  • op 20  (1905)  Capriccio for String Quartett in D minor 
  • op 27  (1908)  String Quintet in D major
  • op 49  (1914)  String Quartet in C major 
  • op 61  (1920)  Miniature Suite  (for string quartet and piano)
  • op 64  (1921)  Suite in three movements  (for flute and piano)
  • op 83  (1930)  Septet for Viola, Flute, Hautboy, Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn and Harp
  • op 88  (1933)  Suite for Pianoforte (for solo piano) 

Furthermore I am planning a recording of these "strings only" works within the next few months:
  • op 20  (1905)  Capriccio for String Quartett in D minor 
  • op 27  (1908)  String Quintet in D major 
  • op 49  (1914)  String Quartet in C major 

The op 27 Quintet in particular is a beautiful composition.

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2017, 01:26:58 AM »
Great to hear, Jeffrey. I already listened to Symphony No. 1 earlier and found it quite enjoyable indeed. Looking forward to hearing the rest! :)

One of my very rare and very minor differences of opinion with Jeffrey - we're musical twins  8) - concerns this Rootham 1: I like it, but apparently somewhat less so than he.  :) Hope to find out soon if I like the Second better (guess so, from what I read about it).
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2017, 02:27:13 AM »
One of my very rare and very minor differences of opinion with Jeffrey - we're musical twins  8) - concerns this Rootham 1: I like it, but apparently somewhat less so than he.  :) Hope to find out soon if I like the Second better (guess so, from what I read about it).
I forgive you. 8)
Yes, look forward to hearing what you make of Symphony 2 - a completely different type of work with a wonderful closing section.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline DanielR

• rootham.org
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2017, 10:59:01 AM »
On the topic of Cyril Rootham's two symphonies, I shall be giving a talk about my grandfather's music at the Daventry weekend meeting (21-23 April) of the Federation of Recorded Music Societies.  The talk will include a historic 78 excerpt from each symphony, as well as selections from several more recent recordings of CBR's part-songs and choral works. 

Sorry, the talk is rather bright and early on the morning of Saturday 22 April: 09:30-10:45 at the Mercure Daventry Court Hotel.  Day tickets are available, and full details about the weekend will be posted on the FRMS website:  http://www.thefrms.co.uk/frmsevents/frmsevents.htm

Dan

Offline DanielR

• rootham.org
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2017, 12:38:39 AM »
More information about Cyril Rootham's chamber music...

A recording of three CBR works (Op.20 and Op.49 quartets, Op.27 quintet) will go ahead in April.

And there is now a generated MP3 of CBR's Op.12 "Réminiscences des Alpes Bavaroises" (1906). The work is for violin and piano, and thanks to MuseScore's technology you can listen while following the score:
  Op.12 Réminiscences MP3

This charming piece lasts about 11 minutes and is dedicated "à son ami H. Haydn Inwards" - one of the violinists of the Gompertz Quartet. One puzzle: is the work's title a pure coinicidence, or is it intended as quiet homage to Elgar's 1895 songs (Op.27 "From the Bavarian Highlands")?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:45:07 AM by DanielR »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2017, 02:52:37 AM »
More information about Cyril Rootham's chamber music...

A recording of three CBR works (Op.20 and Op.49 quartets, Op.27 quintet) will go ahead in April.

And there is now a generated MP3 of CBR's Op.12 "Réminiscences des Alpes Bavaroises" (1906). The work is for violin and piano, and thanks to MuseScore's technology you can listen while following the score:
  Op.12 Réminiscences MP3

This charming piece lasts about 11 minutes and is dedicated "à son ami H. Haydn Inwards" - one of the violinists of the Gompertz Quartet. One puzzle: is the work's title a pure coinicidence, or is it intended as quiet homage to Elgar's 1895 songs (Op.27 "From the Bavarian Highlands")?
That's exciting news Daniel and very glad to hear it. I don't think I'll be able to get to Daventry for your talk about your grandfather's music but I hope it goes well and that you get a good sized audience. I'm very interested to hear about the 78rpm extracts from the symphonies.

Offline DanielR

• rootham.org
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2017, 05:44:28 AM »
About CBR's symphonies: those extracts from 78s are embedded in the 100th anniversary talk given on Radio 3 by the late Arthur Hutchings, and you can hear the talk on the Rootham website here:
http://rootham.org/playlist/hutchings/listen_hutchings_talk.html

Two new events to mention...

On 19th March 2017, the London Military Band's concert included CBR's Op.89 "March for Military Band". The full story and the recording (with score) are now on the website:
http://rootham.org/playlist/opus_089/listen_opus089_perf_score.html

And over the past few days I have created a generated MP3 file with score for two of CBR's anthems from 1911:
  • Op.24 "The Lord is the portion"
  • Op.39 "Hear the voice and prayer"
Until I can get someone to record these works, a synthetic version is perhaps better than nothing? Just look for the player icon against each work on the website's "Works" page here:
http://rootham.org/works.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 05:48:33 AM by DanielR »

Offline DanielR

• rootham.org
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2017, 01:43:34 AM »
The Cyril Rootham project continues...

I am happy to tell you that part of our recording session in April 2017 is now available on YouTube - the first recording of Rootham's Op.20 "Capriccio for String Quartet in D minor": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eMP96C-Fvg

My thanks to the Crystal Palace String Quartet for this beautiful performance, and to project manager James Hall and recording engineer Joe Olney for their part on the technical aspects.

I am working hard towards getting this Op.20 published...

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2017, 10:30:49 AM »
The Cyril Rootham project continues...

I am happy to tell you that part of our recording session in April 2017 is now available on YouTube - the first recording of Rootham's Op.20 "Capriccio for String Quartet in D minor": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eMP96C-Fvg

My thanks to the Crystal Palace String Quartet for this beautiful performance, and to project manager James Hall and recording engineer Joe Olney for their part on the technical aspects.

I am working hard towards getting this Op.20 published...
Great news Daniel! Thanks for letting us know.

Offline DanielR

• rootham.org
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2017, 12:35:50 AM »
More news about Cyril Rootham's chamber music...

I have just uploaded to YouTube the first recording of Rootham's String Quintet in D major (Op.27), performed on 11 April 2017 by the augmented London City Quartet:
https://youtu.be/UxukpAxWErs

It's not a lightweight piece: duration over 31 minutes....

I was recently given access to an amusing extract from the diaries of Thomas Dunhill (my thanks to Paul Vincent):
July 1909
... to an "At Home" at Dr Champney’s. R.C.M. Union affair. They did a dull quintet by Rootham ...

Perhaps the length of the quintet triggered that remark?  In the interests of historical completeness, I felt bound to share it!

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2017, 01:15:24 AM »
More news about Cyril Rootham's chamber music...

I have just uploaded to YouTube the first recording of Rootham's String Quintet in D major (Op.27), performed on 11 April 2017 by the augmented London City Quartet:
https://youtu.be/UxukpAxWErs

It's not a lightweight piece: duration over 31 minutes....

I was recently given access to an amusing extract from the diaries of Thomas Dunhill (my thanks to Paul Vincent):
Perhaps the length of the quintet triggered that remark?  In the interests of historical completeness, I felt bound to share it!
It is a very lyrical and enjoyable work - not dull at all. Maybe Dunhill was referring to his own music!  :)

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK