Author Topic: Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord  (Read 184111 times)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
Re: Bach on the harpsichord, lute-harpsichord, clavichord
« Reply #1200 on: November 11, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
For a hot WTC2 try Frederick Haas, I've never heard the Hantai WTC 1.

Thanks, You can hear part of the Hantai performance of the WTC 1 on YouTube w/o commercials (~1hr) !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upiDdZmFfQY&t=1945s
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 10:39:02 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1201 on: November 15, 2018, 01:34:26 AM »
I'm just checking in with this recording tonight. I feel like Brookshire uses every trick in the book in terms of articulation and rubato. I don't know if he's intimate. I think so, but it's also very intensely done. It's almost nervous and, like, he gives the sense of something important or suspenseful happening. He changes things up a lot and that makes it feel cinematic: here's a chase, here's a dream, here's a respite or a sentimental reverie. So, this isn't "unpretentious" I guess. Brookshire stretches the music and I think gives it a modern feel. Maybe this treatment works because the FS, of all Bach's keyboard stuff, seem made more for the moment, for fun, for an intimate or rustic setting. It's not searingly powerful like the partitas, or highly spiritual and abstract like the WTC books or deep and dark and religious like the AOF (the other piece Brookshire did, arguably less successfully), or a large form exploration like the Goldbergs. Anyway, I think anyone who hasn't heard Brookshire should check him out; I doubt everyone will like him. By the time Brookshire gets to the Gigue in Suite No. 5, a triumph is earned and a moment of exultation and joy. So, I'm still very smitten with this recording.   

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1202 on: November 15, 2018, 03:24:07 AM »
Have you heard Blandine Verlet’s French Suites? If not let me know and I’ll send them to you,  in some ways they remind me of Brookshire’s because of the nervous intensity. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #1203 on: November 15, 2018, 03:57:21 AM »
Have you heard Blandine Verlet’s French Suites? If not let me know and I’ll send them to you,  in some ways they remind me of Brookshire’s because of the nervous intensity.
Thanks! I don't see it on my streaming site either. I'd like to hear it but no rush!