Author Topic: English Suites and Partitas on harpsichord or clavichord  (Read 482 times)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
English Suites and Partitas on harpsichord or clavichord
« on: July 31, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »
I actually like the Karl Richter (Teldec) a great deal, but I am looking for others. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline amw

• Veteran member
Re: English Suites and Partitas on harpsichord or clavichord
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 07:47:15 PM »
English Suites - Bob van Asperen, Ketil Haugsand
Partitas - Richard Egarr, Kenneth Weiss

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 12:38:40 AM »
English suites: van Asperen, Leonhardt, Curtis.
Partitas: Suzuki, Leonhardt, Belder, Mortensen.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 07:57:17 PM »
I actually like the Karl Richter (Teldec) a great deal, but I am looking for others. Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

For the partitas, try Blandine Verlet (Philips)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 08:08:59 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 03:29:13 AM »
English suites: van Asperen and Leonhardt

Partitas :  Leonhardt and Rousset

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 03:33:00 AM by Traverso »

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 11:21:12 AM »
I enjoy Asperen's performances on the Sweelinck set a great deal, so this is an interesting recommendation, as is the Leonhardt. I just finished the Gustav Leonhardt Edition (15 CD set) and found much new music to enjoy, as well as new (to me) performances that were quite enjoyable.

Looking through my collection, I noticed that I also have the complete English Suites by Kirkpatrick--digitized from LPs years ago--totally forgot about these. His WTC is great, but if I recall correctly, there is one set (Inventions I think), in which he plays with NO ornamentation, and it drives me absolutely mad. I also have 5, 6 with Huguette Dreyfus--another LP digitized long ago and forgotten about. (These would have been forgotten for even longer if I had not digitized them and added them to my collection managed by Foobar 2000.) Any thoughts on the Kirkpatrick and/or Dreyfus?

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 11:52:13 AM »
Looking through my collection, I noticed that I also have the complete English Suites by Kirkpatrick--digitized from LPs years ago--totally forgot about these. His WTC is great, but if I recall correctly, there is one set (Inventions I think), in which he plays with NO ornamentation, and it drives me absolutely mad. I also have 5, 6 with Huguette Dreyfus--another LP digitized long ago and forgotten about. (These would have been forgotten for even longer if I had not digitized them and added them to my collection managed by Foobar 2000.) Any thoughts on the Kirkpatrick and/or Dreyfus?

Kirkpatrick's English suites are played on a revival harpsichord with hard driven rhythms. They are very coloristic and in the old-fashioned style, stop changes being the only variations of repeats. Worth to listen to a couple of times, but not redeeming in the long run. The inventions I have heard of his was played on clavichord and uneventful at best. I have heard both parts of his WTC on clavichord and part two on harpsichord. I think part I wasn't but an ostentatious race, but part II on clavichord more reflective - something to return to. Part II on harpsichord was almost as uneventful as his inventions.

Dreyfus' 5th and 6th English suites (recorded in the early 1970es IIRC) seemed to me to still be a child of the sewing-machine concept, which fortunately was abandoned shortly afterwards.

Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 12:30:51 PM »
Leonhardt made two recordings of the English Suites, the one in the picture above is the second, the first one looks like this

I once heard an interview with Hantai where he said that this first recording was what inspired him to focus on harpsichord. The second recording is very different, both seem essential to me.

If I remember right Colin Tilney was very good in this music, it may be worth hearing.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:33:02 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 07:48:16 AM »

I think you should get Haugsand’s English Suites. He makes them sound like suites by D’Anglebert. This comment I found online caught my attention because I hadn’t made any connections between cantabile and flexible rhythms before

Quote from: Katharine May here http://www.agoraclassica.com/reviews/absolute_magazine/-1/1074/johan-sebastian-bachj-s-bach-the-english---suites-bwv-806811-ketil-haugsand-hpsd
Haugsand uses all the harpsichordist’s expressive tools, though some listeners may feel to excess, with rhythms even too elastic at times, creating a less vocal approach.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:02:04 AM by Mandryka »

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 12:14:25 PM »
Thanks for comments. I ordered the first Leonhardt (Seon) and will listen to that for a while before moving on.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 07:51:58 AM »
For the English Suites I like Rannou, Leonhardt and Valentini.
For the Partitas I like Rousset and Weiss.

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 02:16:11 PM »

You're a vinylist, aren't you? I like James Weaver's Partitas (Smithsonian) - LP only. I posted about them here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,21808.msg717835.html
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach